Dry cleaner thinned out my Shawl and sent it to a weaver. Advice please?

sjunky13

Dreaming............
O.G.
Dec 17, 2006
Hello H lovers!
I sent my favorite shawl to get dry cleaned. The scarf was almost new, only worn a few times. But I got face makeup on it and decided to clean it.
Sent it to the most reputable cleaner than Hermes uses.
It came back with some of the print faded and almost see through in certain areas. They rubbed too hard trying to get the stain out , they shifted the weave and pattern.
The cleaners took it back and said it was repairable, they sent it off to a weaver. She will get the fabric back in the right spot, even the lines that had faded.
It will take 3 weeks, I have been w/o my shawl for 3 weeks. so total will be 6 weeks w/o my shawl when I wanted to wear it most in winter.

I did speak with someone at Hermes and they said this doesn't always work and the weaver can further damage it and created holes!
Has anyone experienced this, anyone a weaver or know about fabrics? How can she shift the fabric to get color loss back again? Any advice would be appreciated. I am worried it will come back worse.

TY :smile:

Hi! I have many experiences with weavers! My husband snagged the pants to his Armani suit and ripped them. We thought they were destroyed,but the Armani boutique in Chicago recommended a place called Without a Trace. We were skeptical but after three weeks we picked up the pants and they were PERFECT!!! You would have thought they replaced his pants with new ones!!Since then we have taken many different things and each time we have been impressed with the work. I've even taken a silk dress that was ripped and they fixed it perfectly. If they are good reweavers they should be able to fix your shawl! Now, if they don't, and you feel it's just not right then the dry cleaners need to pay for the shawl they ruined! Hope this helps a bit!!!

I don't have any advice to you as I am also afraid of sending my CSGMs to any dry cleaners. I know I have to clean mine soon but I'm still afraid they would get lost or ruined too. However I'd like to tell you I really feel for you, and I hope they can fix it and your shawl shall be returned to you soon.

Hello H lovers!
I sent my favorite shawl to get dry cleaned. The scarf was almost new, only worn a few times. But I got face makeup on it and decided to clean it.
Sent it to the most reputable cleaner than Hermes uses.
It came back with some of the print faded and almost see through in certain areas. They rubbed too hard trying to get the stain out , they shifted the weave and pattern.
The cleaners took it back and said it was repairable, they sent it off to a weaver. She will get the fabric back in the right spot, even the lines that had faded.
It will take 3 weeks, I have been w/o my shawl for 3 weeks. so total will be 6 weeks w/o my shawl when I wanted to wear it most in winter.

I did speak with someone at Hermes and they said this doesn't always work and the weaver can further damage it and created holes!
Has anyone experienced this, anyone a weaver or know about fabrics? How can she shift the fabric to get color loss back again? Any advice would be appreciated. I am worried it will come back worse.

TY :smile:
I'm sad for you.
The cleaner has to pay you a new shawl. They have insurances. Hope everything will be OK.

Thank you all. I am hoping it comes back as new. The cleaners said this was a great and very expensive weaver. I did call Hermes and they said it could get worse, which made me worried. But Hermes does use this cleaner. Ok now to wait. TY all :smile:

Hi, Thank you. They said it is being re weaved, I hope I don't have to ask for the money for the shawl. I would not feel comfortable.
I understand that asking for money isn't confortable for you.
But the cleaner shouldn't have done anything with the shawl before telling you and asking for your permission.
You let a new shawl, you take back a new shawl, and not a one that has been re weaved.
I hope a solution that is OK for you will be found.

I understand that asking for money isn't confortable for you.
But the cleaner shouldn't have done anything with the shawl before telling you and asking for your permission.
You let a new shawl, you take back a new shawl, and not a one that has been re weaved.
I hope a solution that is OK for you will be found.
I am going to call him Monday and express my dissatisfaction since the shawl is now altered and brought in new. TY :smile:

I'm really sorry to hear about your predicament.
I've never sent any of my H scarves to the dry cleaner, so I can't really put my two cents here - but especially after reading your story, I don't trust them!
If it helps, I always wash my scarfs with cold water and a bit of vanish. They always come out clean with no discoloration, and afterwards once dry, I give them a good press in the middle without pressing the rolled edge

Ok, spoke to the cleaner and he is only willing to repair the shawl. I called him and said I was worried the repair was compromising the integrity of the fabric and value of the shawl and he said my makeup stain did that. He will not give any financial compensation and is confident the weaver will repair it.
So at this point, I will never dry clean another Hermes item again! Lesson learned! I am off to Hermes to buy myself a new shawl to make myself feel better. :smile:
Ty for all of your advice and kind words.

Reactions: Txoceangirl
Ok, spoke to the cleaner and he is only willing to repair the shawl. I called him and said I was worried the repair was compromising the integrity of the fabric and value of the shawl and he said my makeup stain did that. He will not give any financial compensation and is confident the weaver will repair it.
So at this point, I will never dry clean another Hermes item again! Lesson learned! I am off to Hermes to buy myself a new shawl to make myself feel better. :smile:
Ty for all of your advice and kind words.

So sorry to hear of your ordeal, sjunky13! :heart:

Reactions: sjunky13