Drunk driving - snitch for calling the cops?

Absolutely necessary. You might have saved someone's life. In situations like that, it's best to call the police. These teenagers are driving around, drunk, passing a 40. Completely irresponsible and stupid. I hope they were pulled over!

I've had to do this before too. It's a difficult decision to make because you feel like a tattletale, but at the same time it's a life and death situation. It's actually a very easy decision to make but it doesn't feel like it at the time. People who drink and drive are actively choosing to put other peoples' lives in danger. We could have saved some people's lives. That is something to be proud of!

Come to think of it, I've witnessed a hit and run TWICE and both times I've called in to report. Another time I was partying in my apartment and heard a large crash outside and looked outside my window and saw a car window smashed. It was in the spot where I USUALLY parked my car. I was only 20 at the time and had been drinking underage (it was a saturday night!) but I made the decision to report it any way. I had to go outside and meet with the police and I was very nervous. They had to take down my information as a witness to the crime. They didn't say anything until after they were finished and they said something along the lines of "We're going to overlook your MIP because you could have chosen not to report this crime. Thank you for doing the right thing and being a good citizen." The kid who did it had left his cell phone at the scene of the crime and if I hadn't reported it he might have gone back to get it and then they never would have known who did it. They took him to jail later that night after calling his PARENTS on his cell phone and finding out where he lived. I felt like a narc but when you destroy personal property you deserve to get in trouble!

Necessary duty, and I am glad you did it.

I do it EVERY time I can. We have so many memorials along our roads here, we dont need any more.

I had the supreme pleasure of watching one drunk drive right into the nest of cop cars waiting for him after I called 911....I had to follow the drunk for 15 miles, on a rural road---I could not pass as he was weaving too much...it was the scariest ride of my life, and I was thrilled to see the cops waiting for him at a key spot. two got in front, two got between us. They had even closed the road from the other side.

I felt great, that guy was headed for town and would have killed someone for sure.

You were good citizens, Megs and Vlad, and you may have even saved lives.

I was so angry after... like livid. They were actively drinking and driving. Doing it like it was nothing. It scared me and then we decided that we HAD to call. I felt so nervous calling, but I gave all the info and I really hope they got them.

If you ever call, they will ask where the car was seen last, which direction it was going, the make and color of the car and the license plate number.

Anyhow, then I ranted to Vlad for at least 30 minutes about how angry it made me.

Awww megs, i hope you rubbed your new kelly till you felt better!!!!

Good job, guys! I wouldn't even think twice about doing this. If everyone were as responsible as you two are, we would be better off out on the roads. Megs, I would have went on and on to my poor husband afterwards, too. This kind of behavior really makes me mad for a long time. Thanks for doing a good deed!

You did the right thing!

I know someone who almost died in an accident caused by a drunk driver. The girl (my ex co-worker) was in a coma for quite a while after the accident and had to have multiple surgeries. She's doing well now but the memories of that horrible accident will never go away. The drunk driver that caused the accident died on the scene. It's very sad that some people don't realize that they can kill someone or even themselves if they drink and drive.

Thank you for reporting those kids! You probably saved someone's life!

You absolutely did the right thing. I would have done the same. Its being a good Samaritan. We all have to look out for each other and if someone is being a menace, especially if they are drinking its everyones responsibility to report it. IMO.

Last night, on our birthday ride through downtown with our Starbucks teas, Megs noticed a red Neon anno 1995, banged up with three teenagers in it, acting mighty obnoxiously. By obnoxious, I mean listening to loud rap / hiphop while cursing at a black lady in another lane the n-word. If that was not bad enough, they were passing around a 40 oz. bottle of beer, chugging away, including the driver.

We got pissed and decided to call the local hotline to report DUIs, gave them the car description and license plate. We don't know about the fate of those passengers, but we hoped all night that the cops (that were out by the dozens last night) had busted them.

What's your opinion on reporting drunk driving? Snitchy behavior or necessary duty for responsible citizens?

I think it's the best thing someone can do! They are a danger to others and it would be wrong to not report it! Glad you guys made the call. Hope they got caught.:cursing:

Good for you!

It's necessary to report things like that. Not only were you in potential danger, but so was everyone else on the road.

For a friend's bachelorette party we went to this club. At the end of the night, we were driving (with a designated driver) out of the parking garage when the car behind us lightly bumped the driver's SUV.

There was no dent or anything, but given the fact that we had just left a club and the fact that they bumped our car made us take down their license plate number and call the police.