Drugstore Primers?

Jenphx

Apr 19, 2009
Just wondering if anyone has tried the new primers from Maybelline or L'oreal? I'm looking for a primer but I only intend to use it occasionally so I don't want to invest in a pricey one.

I bought ummm maybelline? or revlon? I forget... I haven't tried it yet but when I do I'll let you know. I also like the mineral primer from ULTA it's like... $12 I think?

I've been using L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base. It is 15ml for I think it was $11. I use it occassionaly when I am going to wear a sheer powder. It is thick (I read on one of the blogs it has a consistancy of mashed potatoes!), I wouldn't say that, but it is thick. It does give you an airbrushed look by minimizing pores and hiding imperfections. It does what I wanted it to do and would repurchase. Here is a pic:

Picture010-10-1.jpg

When wearing my liquid foundation, I use my beloved Dior primer.

I've been using L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base. It is 15ml for I think it was $11. I use it occassionaly when I am going to wear a sheer powder. It is thick (I read on one of the blogs it has a consistancy of mashed potatoes!), I wouldn't say that, but it is thick. It does give you an airbrushed look by minimizing pores and hiding imperfections. It does what I wanted it to do and would repurchase. Here is a pic:

Picture010-10-1.jpg

When wearing my liquid foundation, I use my beloved Dior primer.

Ohhhhhhhh I saw this and really wanted to try it! Does it clog your pores though?

^^Tyger, after answering your question, I went to MUA to read reviews and find out if others have had problems with it clogging the pores. I didn't notice that was an issue, but the reviews are all over the place for this stuff! They like it, they hate it, but the most common "pro" was that it controls oil all day. Some of the haters had problems with makeup application after using it. I suspect they didn't allow the primer to "set" long enough. (I usually put on my face primer, then do my eyes and then go back to my face.) Anyway, I would recommend anyone to give it a try!

First make up forum post! :biggrin:

I've been using the Studio Secrets. It is thicker than any other primer I've used. It's a fluffy, almost like a light paste consistency. I wouldn't use it on my entire face. I pat it under my eyes, forehead crease and smile lines. So far so good. I feel like it does smooth those areas well.

I find though, that if I rub too much it turns weird, I can't explain it well. Like it crumbles up on my cheekbones if I'm blending it down from my crows feet. So I just avoid doing that and sticking to the areas I mentioned and I like the results. Overall, I think it's worth a try.

^^Tyger, after answering your question, I went to MUA to read reviews and find out if others have had problems with it clogging the pores. I didn't notice that was an issue, but the reviews are all over the place for this stuff! They like it, they hate it, but the most common "pro" was that it controls oil all day. Some of the haters had problems with makeup application after using it. I suspect they didn't allow the primer to "set" long enough. (I usually put on my face primer, then do my eyes and then go back to my face.) Anyway, I would recommend anyone to give it a try!

Thanks so much for your responses, I think I will! It looked and felt amazing when I sampled it at the store... but they didn't have any in stock :Push: so hopefully I can try it soon!

Monistat girl here too! I only use the expensive stuff (smashbox and laura mercier) for going out or special occasions. monistat works great though for that too but I might as well finish up the nice ones i have.

Ditto the Monistat anti-chafing gel. It works wonders. I've found I've used much less foundation and concealer when I use this as a primer. Everything just glides on smoothly and lightly without leaving me looking like a "pasty face" (something that happens when foundation/concealer are so thick it's impossible to apply)