Droopy leather under Constance Flap

Sep 26, 2007
the swift lining under my brand new C24 flap is loose and droopy at the curve, see photos if I don’t make any sense...

I have 2 other C24 and several C18 and none of them have this issue...

Has anyone experienced this? Would this be a defect?

353A3B82-6A2B-4F59-B6AE-E283C568CAD6.jpeg CC4659F1-29DB-4640-9C8F-F08DE4AAA6D1.jpeg

This will eventually happen but ...... it has to do with the construction of the outer leather for example my Box leather Constance, Box being a rigid leather has this effect just like yours, epsom has the same effect being a rigid leather my ever-calf grainy soft Constance does not have this effect ..... So in my experience Normal because your bag is epsom.

Reactions: frankiextah
This will eventually happen but ...... it has to do with the construction of the outer leather for example my Box leather Constance, Box being a rigid leather has this effect just like yours, epsom has the same effect being a rigid leather my ever-calf grainy soft Constance does not have this effect ..... So in my experience Normal because your bag is epsom.
Oddly it has this effect on one of my Swift 24, one of my Epsom 24, none on the Box. One Box C is vintage. Perfect linings.

Hi Frankie, what a pretty bag! After reading your post I checked mine. I have the dropping too (Epsom exterior). I’ve only used the bag 3-4 times. The interior was so taut when I first received the bag - I’m amazed by how it seems to have stretched. It’s really a shame and I wonder how it will look after more time.

I’m curious as to why this is not viewed as an overall defect or opportunity for Hermes to improve this? I mean this is a $10K bag getting droopy after a few uses. I know a lot more less expensive bags that don’t get droopy after several uses. As a “New to the club” Constance owner i am a bit worried. Also doesn’t the droopy factor accelerate depreciation rate thus affecting resale value? :sad:

That is a very valid point.
OP must take the bag back to Hermes to discuss this issue for two reasons:
1) to get the opinion of Hermes on the issue and hopefully satisfaction and reassurance;
2) to bring the issue to Hermes' attention, even if it might be a 'known problem' it needs to be registered

I’m curious as to why this is not viewed as an overall defect or opportunity for Hermes to improve this? I mean this is a $10K bag getting droopy after a few uses. I know a lot more less expensive bags that don’t get droopy after several uses. As a “New to the club” Constance owner i am a bit worried. Also doesn’t the droopy factor accelerate depreciation rate thus affecting resale value? :sad:

If it bothers you, definitely bring it back and have a chat with your SA/SM about it. I am curious too because some of mine have that little wattle going on. Don't think H cares or approves of fixing it so it retains a certain value for resale though ;)

Some bags arrive brand new from the boutique already with the droop. Long time buyers have noticed a drop in overall quantity and workmanship on all bags. It pains me to say this, it may be due to huge demand and impatient buyers who don't want to wait for the time it takes to train for perfection. I don't think this aspect will affect resale value of your bag but then I don't tend to resell my bags so not relevant to me. BTW this is also going to affect the 2002 bag obviously.

That is a very valid point.
OP must take the bag back to Hermes to discuss this issue for two reasons:
1) to get the opinion of Hermes on the issue and hopefully satisfaction and reassurance;
2) to bring the issue to Hermes' attention, even if it might be a 'known problem' it needs to be registered
They know and nothing much will be done about it.

I wonder if they have strict specific measurements for the inner side of the flap leather or allow the measurements to be within a range and organically relying on the craftsmen's judgement / feel during the making process. It looks like the droopiness might result from the inner leather being a bit bigger / longer than needed. Not necessary a defect. The inner leather should always be shorter than the outer leather to allow it to remain somewhat closed. Hubby noticed that when I was about to buy a constance a while back and asked my SA.

Reactions: BBC and frankiextah