Dress is too short

paculina

Jan 18, 2014
So I have this pretty springy dress that I've only worn once. I wore it to work once and all I heard all day were jokes about the length. You can kind of see where the ruffle is on the bottom, the lining stops at the top of the ruffle. I've never worn it again. It is a bit short, but I'm wondering if there's a way to style it that would mitigate the length issue and still look nice, or should I just let it go? I can't remember if I wore pantyhose last time, but clearly that didn't do the trick.

Sorry the picture is so poor. For some reason I don't have a full length mirror in my house, so getting this pic was a bit tricky!

Attachments

• dress cropped.jpg
    dress cropped.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 891
Last edited:
If you don't feel comfortable in it, then let it go, too many other dresses around to be faffing with one that just doesn't feel right.

If it was a winter dress, then the tunic-style/leggings would be fine, but it looks to be for spring/summer so leggings would look too warm. The only other option would be worn over jeans, but again, I think just get rid and move on.

Maybe just don't wear it to work? Or wear it with tights at work. That doesn't look too short at all for casual wear. Are you actually uncomfortable with the length or is it other people saying stuff? If it's just other people, wear it as is casually!

Maybe just don't wear it to work? Or wear it with tights at work. That doesn't look too short at all for casual wear. Are you actually uncomfortable with the length or is it other people saying stuff? If it's just other people, wear it as is casually!

It is a bit short for me, makes me self-conscious. People saying stuff didn't help either.

First of all that was really douchy for your co-workers to make rude comments to you all day. In a professional environment no one should be doing this. This is called work place harrasement/bullying. If your manager was okay with you wearing the dress then they had no right to say anything. Since you're no longer confortable wearing the dress to work anymore wear it out for lunch or dinner with friends, or wear it to work again with tights. If anyone makes comments again about the way you dress go straight to your manager and have he/she put a stop to it ASAP.

First of all, no more wearing this to work. Wear it with leggings and boots. If you want to go bare legged, wear it with a half slip or full slip with a pretty lace design at the bottom. Free People has nice options and I find that their slips are the best for layering if you want to show off the slip.

My skirts are shorter than yours....so I wouldn't think its short. And I think you can wear it with black tights and ankle boots or flats.
But your coworkers shouldn't comment on your dress all day...that's uncalled for.

I have a larger build and I prefer to wear skirts below my knees, sorry but for ME being plus sized and wearing short skirts is just a no-no. But I have a few tool skirts that I wear under my A-line dresses from F21 and the results is always amazing, the tool peeps out a little underneath and it gives the skirt some oopmh. You can also do like the other poster said and use lace. I have a F2 dress that was very short and I wore it on sunday as a skirt, I literally just pulled it down and wore it as a knee length skirt everyone loved it. So if you dont want to give up on the skirt turn it into a bandue top

Last edited:
OP -- I am sorry your co-workers were unkind to you about the length of the dress.

I always wear skirts below my knees for modesty reasons (FYI to the ladies here: when you sit in a skirt/dress that is above your knees when you sit, everyone can see up your skirt to your undies unless you maintain a constant vigil to prevent this....YIKES!!). Because of my height, it is very difficult for me to find skirts/dresses that are the right length for me. So, I have come up with a few tricks for when I find something cute --- but is too short.

1. get it shortened to mid-thigh and wear as a tunic with jeans
2. get it shortened to low-hip and wear as a peplum top
3. get a longer skirt to wear beneath it -- this can actually look quite stylish depending on the dress/skirt combo. I have worn a tunic-length "dress" with an ankle length skirt. I have also worn a purple dress that was about 2" above my knees with a pink skirt that was 1-2" below my knees -- and made a pink belt to wear over it so it looked like the pink underskirt was supposed to be there. etc. The trick with this is to keep the proportions: "short over long", and "long over short".
4. wear with thick leggin/jeggings and high boots
5. sew some trim/lace along the bottom as a permanent fix. I have only found this to work well if I need to lengthen only 1-2" -- however, sometimes I can find a 4" ruffle to add to the length (check your local fabric/craft store because they have these you can buy by the yard).

Best of luck to you!

Personally, I don't think it's too short, and a lot of women at my work wear skirts this length, and no one says anything to them. However, my work environment is very casual, and it sounds like yours is not so much.

The skirt is nice, though, so I'd keep it to wear on weekends, like others suggested. But if it makes you self-conscious, you may end up not wearing it again, anyway. In that case, maybe you should give it away. Life's too short to hold onto things (or people!) that don't make you feel good.

OP -- I am sorry your co-workers were unkind to you about the length of the dress.

I always wear skirts below my knees for modesty reasons (FYI to the ladies here: when you sit in a skirt/dress that is above your knees when you sit, everyone can see up your skirt to your undies unless you maintain a constant vigil to prevent this....YIKES!!). Because of my height, it is very difficult for me to find skirts/dresses that are the right length for me. So, I have come up with a few tricks for when I find something cute --- but is too short.

1. get it shortened to mid-thigh and wear as a tunic with jeans
2. get it shortened to low-hip and wear as a peplum top
3. get a longer skirt to wear beneath it -- this can actually look quite stylish depending on the dress/skirt combo. I have worn a tunic-length "dress" with an ankle length skirt. I have also worn a purple dress that was about 2" above my knees with a pink skirt that was 1-2" below my knees -- and made a pink belt to wear over it so it looked like the pink underskirt was supposed to be there. etc. The trick with this is to keep the proportions: "short over long", and "long over short".
4. wear with thick leggin/jeggings and high boots
5. sew some trim/lace along the bottom as a permanent fix. I have only found this to work well if I need to lengthen only 1-2" -- however, sometimes I can find a 4" ruffle to add to the length (check your local fabric/craft store because they have these you can buy by the yard).

Best of luck to you!

not necessary....depends on the skirt style, whether you hold your skirt while sitting down, eye view angle, now hard the viewer wanna peep under the skirt...if everyone is bending down picking up a quarter or a pencil and staring at the a$$, yes you're right.

I would do thick lace leggings.

2euq2yq.jpg

Last edited: