Dream closets......minimalist to maximalist

Thank you! My cabats get a lot of use....

I’ve had friends ask me to redo their closets....it’s not work, it’s entertainment for me! I do find that with limited space, flexibility is a must. Many of my shelves can be moved around and my hanging bars can be raised/lowered. It’s a good thing because I didn’t realize that I was going to end up with so many handbags......
I spend about 20 minutes nearly every Sunday tidying up my closet (that includes putting freshly laundered things away.) Another 1/2 hour for light ironing and maybe another 20 minutes cleaning / polishing shoes. This does not include the seasonal handbag spa time! May I ask how long you spend Maintening order in your closet?

I spend about 20 minutes nearly every Sunday tidying up my closet (that includes putting freshly laundered things away.) Another 1/2 hour for light ironing and maybe another 20 minutes cleaning / polishing shoes. This does not include the seasonal handbag spa time! May I ask how long you spend Maintening order in your closet?

I don’t have any kind of a maintenance schedule, and never have. I do laundry when I have a load of a particular kind: white; colors; jeans; etc.......and avoid irioning like the plague. Many things go right back into the closet. My knit tunics are washed in the machine in cold water and laid flat to dry on a special rack for drying knits. My linen (summer) clothing is worn “washed & dried” in the machines. I do not purchase linen that is highly structured or needs ironing, as I prefer a softer look. If it needs some freshening, I use a steamer. Winter woolens/sweaters/coats are dry cleaned. Jeans & most pants are washed, dried and hung in the closet. Basically, I’ve distilled my daily clothing down to variations of a “uniform” that works for me. Nearly every tunic/top/dress in my closet is Eileen Fisher, as being easy to maintain is a huge part of my wardrobe goals.

The drying rack & steamer (below) were both purchased from Amazon. I do own an iron and ironing board...just in case. The drying rack, steamer (and iron) are in a third bedroom that I use as a study and are stored in that room’s closet.

I’m well aware that if I lived in NYC (or London) I would not have the luxury of this extra space. In your blog post, you mentioned turning a third bedroom into a large closet. I considered doing that but opted for keeping the room a bedroom (study) instead, and doing what I could to optimize my regular closet, as I will probably sell at some point in the future.
C87D873A-26A7-4E6A-9943-ADF6A475FDCE.jpeg

I buy essential oil from a place called fragrant earth. They are the real deal and don't stain. I love lavender and cedarwood, but there are others. They keep wardrobes clean and sweet smelling as well as deter moths.

Thank you, I will try this! I really like the idea that it’s not only good for the hanger, but also for the clothes.

Ladders make me nervous too, but I’ve never tried one that’s connected to rails like these do. Previously, I’ve only seen this style used in libraries. I might be able to use them on occasion for seasonal access to storage....but I’m not sure. Right now, I rely on a step stool to access high areas I can’t reach.

Reactions: GoStanford