Dr.90210 starts tonight

:rant:If you're a Dr Rey fan, just scroll on past this rant. It will only offend and anger you.

This clown has got to be the most unlkeable individual on television, possibly the history of it.

He's supposed to be Reformed, is our Rob, this season. Spending two, maybe three nights with his family now. A portrait of self-sacrifice. Spending some of his evenings, his very own very valuable time, with Haley and the tots.

I'm getting verklempt.

Haley even goes so far as to call it "a really nice marriage." Talk about making a man feel ten feet tall. Go Bobster! Some men celebrate their diamond anniversaries without their wives ever once describing their marriage as "really nice."

Anyway, in case you missed it from last season, our Bertinho has had a hankering to return to Brazil and confront his no-count sorry assed doggy daddy who told him he would never amount to anything and Scarred him and mistreated his mother**, who is now 88 and has been sending Robert these letters asking for money.

Haley has a thousand and one very good reasons why she doesn't want him to go. And then she also has fears for his safety. No, I do not seriously wish the man harm. I might come close sometimes, but I don't. Nor do I think he would be likely to come to harm in São Paulo. He may not be the crispiest fry in the bag, but he will, remember, be traveling with a full-court camera and production crew, including, nods the insurance dude, a security detail of the size and caliber normally reserved for athletes representing rogue mega-states at the Olympics.

But the producers have run the focus group numbers and say the ratings will be sure to - I mean Robert feels that he needs Closure, so Haley, rather lightheaded from such a really nice marriage and lack of food - yes, her eating disorder seems to be as alive and well as any living room elephant could ever hope to be - finally agrees that should old Rey pass away before young Rey says good-bye, then young Rey might come to resent Haley in the future, and we sure wouldn't want that, so off he goes, America's sleaziest heartthrob, to the land of his birth to get his Closure.

He shows us a building where he says he used to live, and it doesn't look so bad to me, but then I was expecting a shack in the favela, from the picture he had painted.

Maybe it has been renovated? Maybe I am just too Majority-world-centered myself and need a smoosh more squalor in order to be properly moved.

He looks around this classroom in São Paulo, which, as classrooms go, is not really so bad. OK, it's basic, with plain white walls and desks that don't all match, but forget São Paulo, you can find worse right there in LA. Looking at this classroom, I start to wonder just how grinding was the poverty from which little Roberto rose, rescued by the missionaries, and all.

He throws up his hands, makes his little moue into the camera and says "This is where I went to school. This."

And then goes on to call it "a testament to me, to the human spirit," the fact that he went to school in such a place.

No, Dr Rey, it's a testament to how few classrooms you have seen. It's a testament to just what an ignorant ass you are about what poverty is, you who claim it like some badge of honor.

Young people watch your show, Berto, young people who are impressionable enough and naive enough to think you might possibly have something to say to them, and how are they supposed to feel? That they must just not be trying hard enough to overcome poverty and that's why their classrooms look so much worse? No, kids aren't that stupid.

They will get it right away that you have never seen a really "poor" classroom, but you know what? They won't think it is because you are too busy trying to get to movie starhood on the cheap seats of the Trashy Reality TV shortbus. No, they will understand it's because of course poor classrooms aren't important enough for somebody like you to bother learning what one looks like. In case they hadn't already learned that particular lesson.

You've got a lot of company. I bet millions of people who have never seen a poor classroom, a terrible classroom, sighed and shook their heads and blessed your sainted name for having the courage and the goodness to step into such an awful place. Again!

Anyway, Robert needs to take his mind off seeing his father and getting the Closure he has been claiming to need so urgently for a year, so he decides to stop off on the way and give something back, having made arrangements for this with "The Hirsche Smiles Foundation, whose missionaries 30 plus years ago rescued me from Brazilian poverty." This is proof that the organization does work miracles, since it was founded in 1990.

A suitable patient is located and Robert cures a bedsore.

Now he is ready to face his father and get that Closure!

Back in the Zipcode of Luxury, Haley is really missing Robert.

"I love him so much," she tells the camera. "I love him like I love my children." That might not be how every woman talks about her husband, but we must remember that the Reys have a really nice marriage.

When Robert finally gets to his father's house, I am really confused. This is no favela shack, either. Far from it. And when one reflects that Brazil is not exactly known for the burgeoning nature of it middle class, I'm wondering why the old man, (who interestingly not only speaks perfect English, but has a marked US accent), would be sending Robert filho these letters asking for money. He does not appear to be suffering from a lack of it. His home would be considered quite a nice one in California or anywhere in the United States, anywhere in the world.

There is definitely no poverty going on here. Robert Rey, Sr must have done mighty well for himself after he abandoned his family - so poor, Robert tells us at least once or twice an episode, that he was obliged to steal his food from local stores, and had to sleep on a kitchen table in a sleeping bag.

At least he got a few breaks. Not only because he had a sleeping bag, but because stores in São Paulo regularly employ "security guards" whose job it is to shoot feral children who hang around the premises, driving off customers, much less any who are foolhardy and desperate enough try to steal food.

Robert tells Haley that the anger in his heart is cured and he definitely got Closure. He is a new man because his father is remorseful and claims to love him.

It is not likely that many of Dr Rey's fans will perceive the slightest dissonance between this episode of the show and his frequent descriptions of his early years in São Paulo, a city, according to the 90210 cameras, that does not have any poor neighborhoods, certainly not those awful favelas they had to read about in college. Good thing to know they managed to get all that cleaned up. Maybe Dr Rey has been sending them money, all this time, he is always doing things for the less fortunate, even when visiting his homeland to get Closure. That really was one terrible bedsore!

Back home, Haley says she feels like she finally sees the real Robert. I kind of feel like I do, too.

All of us are going to come across people whose sole purpose in life appears to be to play grater to the nutmeg of our nerves, people who make our blood boil. And sometimes without any good reason.

Thank you Dr Rey, for saving me from the frustration those "for no good reason" folks must feel.

And know what? Your father may have been abusive, a philanderer and a generally terrible man. But he was right about one thing. You really don't amount to anything.

** Robert's mother, it would seem, has consistently declined to participate in the show in any way, shape or form. Her face, as well as the faces of Robert's siblings, are accordingly blurred out whenever the family pictures are shown. The photos of Robert Sr however, have never been blurred out, so he apparently signed his release forms way back when the Reys first began to discuss the subject...

^^Wow! So.......guess you don't care for the man.:lol:
Guess that sorta came through, huh? :biggrin:

You know, when I think about it, I actually find him more generally repulsive than the evil Spencer of Hills fame.

I'm not sure why, but I have no doubt that I will give the question far more thought and consideration than it deserves, and hold forth on it at great length, so that no one need fear that they might miss even the smallest step of the process, which is sure to be a most extensive one.

Saw the show, now there will be no more "what if's..." with Dr. Rey and his father. Glad he had closure. No matter how you slice it, his dad is his dad.

I like Dr. Rey, a great success story for an immigrant coming to the U.S.!

So, I'm watching the father/reunion episode and no, I had not yet read Shimma's post. Although I had heard rumors of the infamous rant floating throughout the forum...albeit mostly from Shimma herself, and had planned on one day reading her novelette, erm, post. :smile:

I only have one thing to add Shimma. I'm disappointed that you didn't mention, and maybe your missed it...I have to think you missed it, that after he got home and 'couldn't get enough of his wife and he had just flown all night', that he squeezed Hayley's butt and said, "I saw a lot of nice butts in Brazil but none this nice". Squeeellllcccchhh.
You say what? To your wife? On your homecoming?

I'd have slapped my man's hand off had he made that comment so casually. But, I've got him trained better than that. He still won't admit to me that the gorgeous brunette w/dark skin and blue eyes at the restaurant is anything more than 'meh'.

But, as Shimma pointed out, they have a really nice marriage, so maybe I'm too hard on my man.

Did anyone see Dr 90210 tonite?!??! Dr Kirby's GF Erin....uh is it just me or is she the girl from THE BACHELOR like couple seasons back!?!?!?! :wtf: i swear she looks identical, same first name also. if so.... uh she moved on quick!

... I'm disappointed that you didn't mention, and maybe your missed it...I have to think you missed it, that after he got home and 'couldn't get enough of his wife and he had just flown all night', that he squeezed Hayley's butt and said, "I saw a lot of nice butts in Brazil but none this nice". Squeeellllcccchhh.
You say what? To your wife? On your homecoming?

I'd have slapped my man's hand off ...But, as Shimma pointed out, they have a really nice marriage, so maybe I'm too hard on my man.
Actually, mshel, I figured that was one of those little vignettes they put in to try to make him look better. Show all us wonderful people in here in the dark just what a really nice marriage is like.

OK, I found out that Dr. Kirby's girlfriend's name is ERIN BRODIE, of For Love or Money fame. She is sooo cheesy looking and her eyebrows look unnaturally arched. Botox???

Actually, Dr. Kirby is super-cheesy too. You can tell he thinks he is The Bomb. And could he possibly have MORE product in his hair???

haah yes he IS cheesy! and i looked up his website. He actually did his dermatology training at a residency at Pacific Long beach hospital, a hospital afiliated to my medical school! ummmm and that dermatology program is considered one of the rather, mmmm noncompetitive ones... bc they dont even pay u salary to be a resident there! not to criticize him or anything...hehe but im glad his practice is limited to cosmetics only!
Well i guess he is rich now.... so the unpaid yrs of residency didnt matter much :P

oooo ya and the episode where he treated his friend's genital wart! first of all, its creepy to see ur friends penis. Secondly, he told his buddy that he can prevent genital warts by just using condoms... which is so not true!

OK, I finally saw the epi with the father/son reunion between Dr. Rey and his dad. I am TOTALLY CONFUSED because, like Shimma mentioned above, his dad speaks perfect English...and with an American accent! WTH??? I thought Dr. Rey's family was native Brazilian. Does anyone know the back-story on that?