Downton Abbey Season 4 & 5 (p.29) US Thread (NO SPOILERS from UK)

Did anyone read the People magazine review of Season 4? I think they pretty much nailed it. Too much Mosely. (boring) Too much Edith (also boring). Mary in mourning is not much different from Mary all the time. They only gave it two and half stars.

Happy to have a separate thread....too bad we were clued in about the rape as they would have came out of left field. When I first read the spoiler I suspected it was Anna. I don't feel sorry for Mosely as I feel he is always whining. Carson gave him an opportunity to make some money and he kept griping that it was beneath him. I love how he could think being a footman was lowly or that Daisy thought being a Deliveryman was nothing.....I mean they are all servants I don't get how anyone of them could think they are high and mighty. That being said I don't think servants are beneath anyone either...but given the plot and the times are what I am going on.

I can't stand that Stupid Rose and how insensitive for her to take out the phonograph. I wish they would get rid of her and that idiot lady's maid. Hope she does not sleep with Branson and that he does not leave.

Branson is right though the "rules" of the time and the hierarchy was ridiculous. How Thomas is called by his last name now because he is certain rank and you don't say "your grace" in this situation buy you can say it in this one. Why didn't someone like the Dowager take it upon herself to teach Tom about these things? I would have liked to have seen that.

Oh I love Mosely! I think with the thing with the servants hierarchy is with time and service they work up to higher positions. Butlers is more of a esteemed position than say a footman position.

Happy to have a separate thread....too bad we were clued in about the rape as they would have came out of left field. When I first read the spoiler I suspected it was Anna. I don't feel sorry for Mosely as I feel he is always whining. Carson gave him an opportunity to make some money and he kept griping that it was beneath him. I love how he could think being a footman was lowly or that Daisy thought being a Deliveryman was nothing.....I mean they are all servants I don't get how anyone of them could think they are high and mighty. That being said I don't think servants are beneath anyone either...but given the plot and the times are what I am going on.

I can't stand that Stupid Rose and how insensitive for her to take out the phonograph. I wish they would get rid of her and that idiot lady's maid. Hope she does not sleep with Branson and that he does not leave.

Branson is right though the "rules" of the time and the hierarchy was ridiculous. How Thomas is called by his last name now because he is certain rank and you don't say "your grace" in this situation buy you can say it in this one. Why didn't someone like the Dowager take it upon herself to teach Tom about these things? I would have liked to have seen that.

Good point. & I would like to dress a couple of them. The others didn't take Brandon aside to tutor him because I think for so many of them it's common knowledge cuz it's all that they've known and what they've been raised around. It's just a normal day in life for them.

Regarding Thomas, back in the day if you were a servant you took the prestige downstairs based upon who you work for upstairs. So them referring to him by his last name was a matter of respect.

Regarding Mosley working in service in the hall or out at the industrial sites, to work in a private home and to be in service was a job of great prestige. When you worked out in shops you were considered low on the totem pole. You have to remember these people took on the prestige of the peers that they worked for and represented.

I absolutely hate that Anna didn't say anything about the rape, but I can imagine that that happened very often back in those days, and still does even today. I cannot wait for Bates to find out though, but I do believe all hell will break loose.

Lady Edith is going to end up giving up the cookie to that man I bet, but I can guarantee you all this talk about leaving the wife is never going to come to fruition. Lady Edith's guy was giving me a gay vibe tonight...

I'm really liking the scenes with Lady Mary and the new guy.

Loved when granny told her "don't try to hide behind me/use me as an excuse if you don't want to dance with him" I laughed my butt off.

Also regarding Rose, I am getting the feeling that she is not as naive as she's trying to project to everyone else. She knew it was insensitive to bring the gramophone downstairs but she didn't care. She knew that it would hurt lady Mary.

Oh I love Mosely! I think with the thing with the servants hierarchy is with time and service they work up to higher positions. Butlers is more of a esteemed position than say a footman position.

The butler and housekeeper/ manger are the highest of the household jobs...cook comes into play here

Valet and lady's maid- of the upstairs service.

Governesses/Nanny's not really considered family nor the same level of servant like the downstairs staff.

Companions usually fell into "gray" areas also

Good link that explains this
http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/servantwages.htm

I love the history and research of this stuff.

Good point. & I would like to dress a couple of them. The others didn't take Brandon aside to tutor him because I think for so many of them it's common knowledge cuz it's all that they've known and what they've been raised around. It's just a normal day in life for them.

Regarding Thomas, back in the day if you were a servant you took the prestige downstairs based upon who you work for upstairs. So them referring to him by his last name was a matter of respect.

Regarding Mosley working in service in the hall or out at the industrial sites, to work in a private home and to be in service was a job of great prestige. When you worked out in shops you were considered low on the totem pole. You have to remember these people took on the prestige of the peers that they worked for and represented.

I absolutely hate that Anna didn't say anything about the rape, but I can imagine that that happened very often back in those days, and still does even today. I cannot wait for Bates to find out though, but I do believe all hell will break loose.

Lady Edith is going to end up giving up the cookie to that man I bet, but I can guarantee you all this talk about leaving the wife is never going to come to fruition. Lady Edith's guy was giving me a gay vibe tonight...

I'm really liking the scenes with Lady Mary and the new guy.

Loved when granny told her "don't try to hide behind me/use me as an excuse if you don't want to dance with him" I laughed my butt off.

Also regarding Rose, I am getting the feeling that she is not as naive as she's trying to project to everyone else. She knew it was insensitive to bring the gramophone downstairs but she didn't care. She knew that it would hurt lady Mary.

I like Lady Mary with the new guy as well!

Lady Edith's romance is doomed to fail. Do we know what year this is? I keep thinking about her beau becoming a German citizen while Hitler and World War II are in the future. And the newspaperman having to join the German army and work for the Nazis.

Glad this US thread was started! The rape comment was a spoiler for me too...I found myself watching and thinking "who will it be?" Didn't take long to figure out it was going to be Anna.

The servants hierarchy was taken very seriously, so Mosley felt it was beneath him to be a mere footman. Good points.

I too had thoughts about Lady Edith's love interest (what's his name?) becoming German citizen before the war. Not real sure what year we are in....probably the 1920's?

Happy to have a separate thread....too bad we were clued in about the rape as they would have came out of left field.

Agree. And I found it interesting that although that rape must have happened months ago in the UK, they mention it the week it happens here? :wtf:

The butler and housekeeper/ manger are the highest of the household jobs...cook comes into play here

Valet and lady's maid- of the upstairs service.

Governesses/Nanny's not really considered family nor the same level of servant like the downstairs staff.

Companions usually fell into "gray" areas also

Good link that explains this
http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/servantwages.htm

I love the history and research of this stuff.

I agree. I never knew there was a hierarchy among the help. I am sure those people took their positions VERY seriously.

Lady Edith's romance is doomed to fail. Do we know what year this is? I keep thinking about her beau becoming a German citizen while Hitler and World War II are in the future. And the newspaperman having to join the German army and work for the Nazis.

Current time is the 20's so Nazi Germany is a ways off.

I have to say I didn't really like this episode. To me the highlight was the opera singer. The whole keeping the rape a secret feels very 'Guiding Light' to me as we all know he will find out eventually.

I can see where you were going with this as the NAZI party started in the early 20s, and people were eager to join the "movement"

I agree. I never knew there was a hierarchy among the help. I am sure those people took their positions VERY seriously.

I have to say I didn't really like this episode. To me the highlight was the opera singer. The whole keeping the rape a secret feels very 'Guiding Light' to me as we all know he will find out eventually.[/QUOTE]

agreed!

Agree. And I found it interesting that although that rape must have happened months ago in the UK, they mention it the week it happens here? :wtf:

I have to say I didn't really like this episode. To me the highlight was the opera singer. The whole keeping the rape a secret feels very 'Guiding Light' to me as we all know he will find out eventually.

agreed.