Downsizing a collection: which Kelly should I let go of?

Taro

Feb 10, 2015
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of downsizing my rapidly growing H collection. I'm embarrassed to admit I have 3 Kelly bags which I don't really use much at all. I love the Kelly bag design but as someone who is trying to really maximize usage of my bags, I'm trying to figure out which one to sell/consign. Please help me to decide based on the rest of my H collection!

- Kelly 28 black box retourne GHW
- Kelly 32 black chevre de coromandel retourne PHW
- Kelly 28 rouge H vache liegee sellier PHW

Other H bags I have:
- Lindy 26 black clemence GHW
- Birkin 30 black togo PHW

(Yes - I love black!)

A bit about my lifestyle - I'm pretty casual, my workplace is conservative so I do end up not carrying my H bags to work, regretfully. I wear H bags on the weekend and outside of work and usually end up going for Lindy or Birkin since I like the more "carefree" nature of these leathers. The black CDC Kelly 32 I end up using for work conferences (sometimes) and both the box Kelly 28 and the rouge H kelly 28 have only been used maybe twice each in the past year and half that I've owned them both since I simply don't have much occasion to carry them. The sellier Kelly is so beautiful and I really prefer its clean lines to retourne but I find it really hard to pull off such a formal look too often. I used it for CNY event and Vday this past week but that's it so far and it's not really a new bag!

I will try and add some pics after I get home and upload but all my bags are in very good condition with no real wear. All my Kelly bags have double rings and the box kelly has been to spa once.

Thank you
Taro

Last edited:
These 2: Kelly 28 black box retourne GHW, Kelly 32 black chevre de coromandel retourne PHW
I say both bc you don't use Kelly and these will sell fast and give u room for more :graucho: The sellier K is a keeper in my book but if you don't use it, sell too.

Retourne K28.

Thanks for your input!! I am def gonna let go of this BBK28 after all the opinions so far, it really pushed what I was thinking all along.

These 2: Kelly 28 black box retourne GHW, Kelly 32 black chevre de coromandel retourne PHW
I say both bc you don't use Kelly and these will sell fast and give u room for more :graucho: The sellier K is a keeper in my book but if you don't use it, sell too.

Wow thank you Israeli_Flava, I didn't think about letting go of both but I think maybe I should really consider it. I have a lot of black bags and the BBK28 will definitely be going, but I really like CDC leather, just sometimes I find the K32 is a bit too big and bulky... have to think about this. Thanks for your opinion, I have trouble letting things go even if it's just a bag!

Edit to add: yes, I definitely also think the sellier rouge H is a keeper!! Though not used often, it's a great on-occasion bag for me and I really love sellier K a lot.

Kelly retourne. I have been downsizing my chanel collection, I get anxiety over so many bags sitting unused in my closet.

Thanks Dira919!!! I am totally in agreement with you. It's so easy to buy buy buy in a snap decision but then I feel regret as the bags don't get as much attention as I would like. I also need to really reevaluate my Chanel collection for the same reason.

For me I like 28 Kelly in sellier and retourne in 32, for me it's an aesthetic that I like. Maybe you have an idea about which bags you "like" the look of more than others. :flowers:

I think if you don't use your Kellys and you are saying they don't really fit your lifestyle (which i think you are?)....then why not get rid of all of them? Do you have Kellys because at one point you were enamored of them and envisioned yourself being one of those women who wear Kellys effortlessly? I can relate, because I definitely was there....but my reality is different. After collecting a LOT of H bags I had fantasies of wearing but never really did, I am much more rigorous now with what I keep :smile: Maybe do something drastic but freeing? Get rid of all your Kellys and instead replace them with a couple of other H bags that you actually DO use or would use more often??? Just an idea.

I got rid of my LV mahina black once and still regret it... A lot.

I wanted to get rid of NF LV, I am so glad I did not, it fits kelly 32 and B30 for travel!!

I could never downsize my Hermes B and K, it would be too tragic. Maybe in 15-20 years.

Last edited:
Kelly retourne. I have been downsizing my chanel collection, I get anxiety over so many bags sitting unused in my closet.

Me too! I feel like the less I have, the more I use, and the more I have, the less I see things, lol, and forgot to use them.

OP- I thought about selling my BBK-28 Retourne, and was on the verge of, and then instead sold 3-Kelly 32s (I also had 3-black Kellys), and I am so glad I kept it, because I use it a lot more now that I don't have the black 32s.

I say sell the 32 Chèvre first and trust me on this, carry the BBK for 1 week before deciding to sell it or not. Like you, I found the 32s too big on myself, although on most people it is the perfect size.

Can you post comparison photos of yourself with the rouge v BBK 28s?

Good for you for downsizing, Taro :tup::tup: I too feel the need to downsize (though collection is very small) since I feel guilty having bags sitting in my closet. But I just don't have the courage to do it yet.....

I agree I would let go of the BBK 28. Even though it is in my mind the classic Hermes bag, it is relatively easy to get another one from reseller market, in case you change your mind in the future.