Downsized on WE TV

I also noticed the mom/wife ( I forgot her name ) wears a lot of jewelry. I think the camera person focuses on it a lot. I also did not like her excuse for spending money at the coffee shop. I know she is ill but what is keeping her from saving and making her coffee at home?!?

^EXACTLY what I was thinking. I mean a huge can of Folgers is like $5.

I also noticed the mom/wife ( I forgot her name ) wears a lot of jewelry. I think the camera person focuses on it a lot. I also did not like her excuse for spending money at the coffee shop. I know she is ill but what is keeping her from saving and making her coffee at home?!?

I wonder if her jewelry are real? I hope not, esp. since one of her child had to sell something he loved dearly to help them make the rent.

I'm just now seeing where she charged the lady $80 (without supplies) to clean that house. I did think it was a pretty clever idea to just make their own supplies though! Still wondering how long that vinegar smell actually lasts!

What I want to know is why the father of the wife's 5 kids does not pay any child support (or at least does not appear to pay child support). With 5 kids she should get enough in child support to cover the rent.

^^ I've wondered that since the beginning.

And the jewelry always gets me too! I'm fairly certain her wedding ring would be real. And while I know it's your wedding ring, I get it's important to you, but when your children are selling their things, and you are on foodstamps, I personally would feel guilty. You don't even have to get rid of your wedding ring, but all the other jewelery you wear? Is it really necessary? I mean your son gave up something near and dear to him, can't you do the same? Same with the coffee. And the coffee is a much easier thing to let go of than the ring, considering you can make your own at home.

Anybody watching the new season?

I agree about the coffee. How hard can it be to look up online how to make a decent fancy iced coffee at home? I would freak out if I was that hard up for money and my husband was buying a couple of $5 cups of coffee a day.

I watched the rerun the other day. I can't believe that he is trying to buy a house when they just got out of debt. And why do all the kids have cars?

To be fair, all the older kids have jobs and need transportation to get to them. I imagine that they live in one of those outlying housing developments and have to drive to get everywhere.

Heather was given a car by her grandparents. Bailey bought her own car with money she had saved up. And one of the boys (I don't remember which one, I think Rex) saved up and bought the beater truck that they used to get the dirt from the creeper dudes house.

I really want to see the next episode and find out whether the Bruce's insurance covers Rex's hospital stay for his asthma. Or whether the $18K they had left over from the show's first season will be tapped. This is obviously going to affect whether or not they can get a house. I tend to agree with Todd on the house situation. When you are paying rent, you are just giving your money away. When you are buying a house, at the end you have something you own. So, if they can swing it financially, I think the house is a good idea.

I noticed in the first episode of the new season that most of the kids have settled into their new poorer lifestyle. The all seem to have really good attitudes about it and realize that THEY have to work hard and save up if they want something. They can't just get their parents to buy it for them.

I'm sure after dealing with one foreclosure, she is probably hesitate right now. With renting, you can walk away easier (into a smaller place when most of the adult kids are out of the house or when the time comes, into a home like what you had before) unlike buying, where there are not only mortage payments, home insurance, property taxes, but also repairs & maintenance for many years to come. I know some people consider renting a waste, but home ownership should comes when you're ready for it (remember how we got into this housing mess - the whole "everyone deserves a home" idea? ). Just because you have extra funds doesn't mean you plunk it all into a house - you still need a contingency fund on top of that so yes, I can understand her hesitation.

What I want to know is why the father of the wife's 5 kids does not pay any child support (or at least does not appear to pay child support). With 5 kids she should get enough in child support to cover the rent.

I watched most of this show, but it seemed too scripted or fake to me. All of that was because they REFUSE to answer why the ex-husband didn't pay child support. Is he in jail, does he only pay $100.00 a month, is he just delinquent ... what? There has to be a reason. They have 5 kids and he doesn't have to pay anything. I don't by that.

K2, thanks for your post. i love bailey! (and this show). I think people are putting a little too much pressure on the mom, she has like muscular dystrophy or some other neuro disease. I used to feel differently until i saw about the disease, i cannot imagine dealing with that many kids, working full time as a teacher, working another job/starting a new business, and trying to keep up your husbands spirits with his business failing, your kids having to get used to less, etc. Anyone with stepkids, dealing successfully with that MANY, is golden in my book, let alone with all their trials....

To be fair, all the older kids have jobs and need transportation to get to them. I imagine that they live in one of those outlying housing developments and have to drive to get everywhere.

Heather was given a car by her grandparents. Bailey bought her own car with money she had saved up. And one of the boys (I don't remember which one, I think Rex) saved up and bought the beater truck that they used to get the dirt from the creeper dudes house.

I really want to see the next episode and find out whether the Bruce's insurance covers Rex's hospital stay for his asthma. Or whether the $18K they had left over from the show's first season will be tapped. This is obviously going to affect whether or not they can get a house. I tend to agree with Todd on the house situation. When you are paying rent, you are just giving your money away. When you are buying a house, at the end you have something you own. So, if they can swing it financially, I think the house is a good idea.

I noticed in the first episode of the new season that most of the kids have settled into their new poorer lifestyle. The all seem to have really good attitudes about it and realize that THEY have to work hard and save up if they want something. They can't just get their parents to buy it for them.

I agree they need transportation. But when you live in a neighborhood with lots of rules I would limit the amount of cars my kids have.

I think they should just rent a house with less restrictions until they become more stable. I know it has to be hard for her to work two jobs. And the house he picked out needed a lot of work.

I wonder does the mother of his kids pay him child support. I also agree that the kids seem happier this season.