Dooney rehab thread

They really are made for the ages, aren't they? I never owned one back in the day, but that might be just as well. I'd probably have been the one storing a bag on a wire shelf under a stack of boxes.
Verionica: I can't remember when I started collecting Dooney. Probably in the 1990's.
Guess that's a long time, but I can't believe it could be 25 years! I don't own any of the original AWL styles, but I'm guessing some of my earlier pebbled leather handbags
are of very similar quality leather. And while I know many of the 'rules' of proper handbag
storage, I don't have the space to give each handbag it's breathing room. The bags
are stuffed with paper (not plastic) and in dust bags (either color matched to the handbag,
or white for lighter color bags). But.... my handbags reside in piles....
no plastic in sight, but far from good handbag storage.

Verionica: I can't remember when I started collecting Dooney. Probably in the 1990's.
Guess that's a long time, but I can't believe it could be 25 years! I don't own any of the original AWL styles, but I'm guessing some of my earlier pebbled leather handbags
are of very similar quality leather. And while I know many of the 'rules' of proper handbag
storage, I don't have the space to give each handbag it's breathing room. The bags
are stuffed with paper (not plastic) and in dust bags (either color matched to the handbag,
or white for lighter color bags). But.... my handbags reside in piles....
no plastic in sight, but far from good handbag storage.
The bag I posted about would have thrived under your storage system. Fortunately, she bounced back quickly and is standing on her own now. So proud of her, lol.

Reactions: vintagelove21
I gave my neighbor a new smooth leather zippered tote and an old AWL that looked brand new. She is always on the go and I told her to carry the AWL because it wears like iron and the smooth leather needs to be for "good" since it needs "babied".

She is the most amazing cook/baker and has given us delicious food gifts for years. I don't even like pot pies, but hers are stuffed with veggies and are tremendous. I wish I had a few more bags to pass her way---her veggie pot pies are sounding good this autumn. Oh, to know her secret.

Reactions: Jacynthe
I gave my neighbor a new smooth leather zippered tote and an old AWL that looked brand new. She is always on the go and I told her to carry the AWL because it wears like iron and the smooth leather needs to be for "good" since it needs "babied".

She is the most amazing cook/baker and has given us delicious food gifts for years. I don't even like pot pies, but hers are stuffed with veggies and are tremendous. I wish I had a few more bags to pass her way---her veggie pot pies are sounding good this autumn. Oh, to know her secret.
Sounds like you found a good home for your handbags and may your rewards keep
coming.

Reactions: Jacynthe
Curious if this would be worth buying to rehab? I guess that would involve painting most of the interior

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221013-183008_Mercari.jpg
    Screenshot_20221013-183008_Mercari.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20221013-182951_Mercari.jpg
    Screenshot_20221013-182951_Mercari.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20221013-182930_Mercari.jpg
    Screenshot_20221013-182930_Mercari.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 5
I haven't posted on TPF in so long, but this is the only Dooney forum I know. Also, the Bolero collection is not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm a very loud dresser and it suits my wardrobe

I rescued this on Mercari for $58! It needed a lot of love. I gave it a dunk with blue dish soap and scrubbed it with a toothbrush all over, especially the lining which was gross. I carefully sanded down the ink stain on the front pocket with extremely fine sandpaper, and also scrubbed that area. I stuffed it with towels to reshape and let it hang dry, although I did one session of blow-drying and reshaping with my hands before hanging it up again. I hung it up using an air pillow and a hanger between the two handles so the handles wouldn't get misshapen. Once all dry, I gave it a good coat of Leather CPR and I think it looks much better now! I have a replacement strap on the way. It's especially well-reshaped, and I took these pictures of it standing without support or any inserts inside.

87E12562-D1CB-4079-AD27-C91731CEDF0B.jpeg

5499EC52-0C6A-4957-B337-E089CFD5E2F2.jpeg

09BAC20C-B16E-40EB-BD44-5A9235E6AD9E.jpeg

it's leather! tried some tricks but nothing works...
This is how it looked before the accident

View attachment 5656651
I've never had this happen and my guess would be the lining bled onto the leather when you got the bag wet. I've never had even color transfer from a Dooney red lining,
but with highly saturated colors like red, it's always a possibility.

I'm not a rehab expert, but hopefull someone else will chime in with ideas. Sorry this happened to your beautiful handbag. I love the Dooney animal patterns.

Reactions: klaudiSan