Dooney rehab thread

cola410

May 10, 2022
Hi there! I just got this terribly mistreat D&B at a yard sale for $25. More than I wanted to pay, but if nothing else I can repurpose the material and hardware. It obviously needs a good condition and clean (thankfully no odors) and color touch up, but in what order? Given the condition, do I condition and then clean or clean and then condition?

Attachments

Aug 13, 2014
Every rehab thread/video I've seen starts with a thorough cleaning of the inside and
outside of the handbag. And this makes sense to me.... you want to remove all the dirt, etc.
before you add conditioning products. Not only will the conditioning products trap the
dirt/germs, but cleaning the bag after conditioning will just mean one more layer to remove
when you clean.
Good luck. It's an attractive handbag.

cola410

May 10, 2022
Every rehab thread/video I've seen starts with a thorough cleaning of the inside and
outside of the handbag. And this makes sense to me.... you want to remove all the dirt, etc.
before you add conditioning products. Not only will the conditioning products trap the
dirt/germs, but cleaning the bag after conditioning will just mean one more layer to remove
when you clean.
Good luck. It's an attractive handbag.
Thank you, that definitely makes sense. I just worry about drying it out, but I think the damage is mostly just that - damage, more than dried out leather.