Dooney Pals Off-Topic Chat Thread

Hey everyone.

I am new to Dooney. I watched so many videos on the Florentine Satchel and I really really like the one in the natural or chestnut. I love the medium size, I think it is like a speedy 35 and I love big bags. May I ask if the Florentine satchel is still made in China? Or USA? My problem is: i am from Europe (Austria) and if I order it from wether dooney’s Official website or Macy’s I have to pay alot, in total: the bag would cost 550 Euros. That I don’t mind, but It would be too much work (ordering, returning)just for a bag that is made in China. If it is made in US I would love to order it because you don’t see it in Europe, not like LV or MK, they are everywhere...

Hey everyone.

I am new to Dooney. I watched so many videos on the Florentine Satchel and I really really like the one in the natural or chestnut. I love the medium size, I think it is like a speedy 35 and I love big bags. May I ask if the Florentine satchel is still made in China? Or USA? My problem is: i am from Europe (Austria) and if I order it from wether dooney’s Official website or Macy’s I have to pay alot, in total: the bag would cost 550 Euros. That I don’t mind, but It would be too much work (ordering, returning)just for a bag that is made in China. If it is made in US I would love to order it because you don’t see it in Europe, not like LV or MK, they are everywhere...
Most of the Florentine line is made in China. There were some of the small size satchels that were MADE IN USA. I don't know if they ever made the medium size in the USA.

The challenge is for a particular style to order and be sure you get the one manufactured where you want. It's hard to tell from the web site since the pictures don't always match the details if the item # of the bags are the same.

There were some minor style differences.... the made in China satchels had a seam across the base of the bag and the belting went all the way around, front to back. The Made in USA bags had a rectangular panel sewn across the base and the belting stopped at the base on the front and then resumed on the back, but did not continue across the base.
Also as I recall, the interior collar on the made in USA versions was red leather. On the Made in China versions the interior collar was green suede.

The Alto line, which is not Florentine leather, but a beautiful more structured fine grain matte leather, is made in Italy.

Are there any Dooney and Bourke stores or department stores that sell Dooney in Europe?

Most of the Florentine line is made in China. There were some of the small size satchels that were MADE IN USA. I don't know if they ever made the medium size in the USA.

The challenge is for a particular style to order and be sure you get the one manufactured where you want. It's hard to tell from the web site since the pictures don't always match the details if the item # of the bags are the same.

There were some minor style differences.... the made in China satchels had a seam across the base of the bag and the belting went all the way around, front to back. The Made in USA bags had a rectangular panel sewn across the base and the belting stopped at the base on the front and then resumed on the back, but did not continue across the base.
Also as I recall, the interior collar on the made in USA versions was red leather. On the Made in China versions the interior collar was green suede.

The Alto line, which is not Florentine leather, but a beautiful more structured fine grain matte leather, is made in Italy.

Are there any Dooney and Bourke stores or department stores that sell Dooney in Europe?

Thank you very much for your reply. It is very helpful. No, unfortunately there is no Dooney in Europe and that’s also why I wanna a bag that nobody has. But on the other hand I cannot go to store to try it or to select... do you think that i can request Macy or Dooney to send me a Made in US version?

Thank you very much for your reply. It is very helpful. No, unfortunately there is no Dooney in Europe and that’s also why I wanna a bag that nobody has. But on the other hand I cannot go to store to try it or to select... do you think that i can request Macy or Dooney to send me a Made in US version?
You could try, but I don't know how successful you will be. My guess would be Macy's wouldn't even know what you are talking about. As for Dooney HQ … the customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not really confident you would get what you asked for, even if they agreed. I know it's sad. They are stunning handbags.

Another thought.... Dooney has a few (very few) boutique retail stores in the US. The stores are listed on the web site. The service in the retail boutiques is generally very good.... just don't call on a Saturday, Sunday, holiday, or at the end of the day. I think the retail Dooney boutiques (not the outlets) would give you the best chance. They may not have any Made in USA handbags in stock. But, they would know, Not sure if they can ship outside the US from the stores. But it might be worth a try.
Good luck.

Reactions: Yuki85 and MiaBorsa
You could try, but I don't know how successful you will be. My guess would be Macy's wouldn't even know what you are talking about. As for Dooney HQ … the customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not really confident you would get what you asked for, even if they agreed. I know it's sad. They are stunning handbags.

Another thought.... Dooney has a few (very few) boutique retail stores in the US. The stores are listed on the web site. The service in the retail boutiques is generally very good.... just don't call on a Saturday, Sunday, holiday, or at the end of the day. I think the retail Dooney boutiques (not the outlets) would give you the best chance. They may not have any Made in USA handbags in stock. But, they would know, Not sure if they can ship outside the US from the stores. But it might be worth a try.
Good luck.

Hello, I just had a live chat with one of the dooney’s Agent and was told that the Florentine satchels are specially made in US and they did have factories in China, but not anymore. Do you think I can trust them? I do really trust what your guys are saying but not a company. What do you think?

Hello, I just had a live chat with one of the dooney’s Agent and was told that the Florentine satchels are specially made in US and they did have factories in China, but not anymore. Do you think I can trust them? I do really trust what your guys are saying but not a company. What do you think?
I don't know, but the design on the Made in USA Florentine Small Satchel had some minor differences from the made in China version. Most notably, on the USA version the bottom was a rectangular section. On the China version, the bottom had a center seam and no rectangular piece of leather forming a base.
Other differences that I remember.... the belting on the USA version stops at the bottom of the front and restarts at the back bottom. The China version the belting goes around the bottom.
Also, I think the underside of the tassels and the interior leather collar around the zipper were leather on the USA version and green suede on the China versions.
I preferred the USA version... because it was Made in USA and for the styling differences. :smile:
Maybe you can spot some of these differences on the web site pics, but sometimes the pictures they use are old stock photos, so it's not a fool proof method.

Reactions: Yuki85
I don't know, but the design on the Made in USA Florentine Small Satchel had some minor differences from the made in China version. Most notably, on the USA version the bottom was a rectangular section. On the China version, the bottom had a center seam and no rectangular piece of leather forming a base.
Other differences that I remember.... the belting on the USA version stops at the bottom of the front and restarts at the back bottom. The China version the belting goes around the bottom.
Also, I think the underside of the tassels and the interior leather collar around the zipper were leather on the USA version and green suede on the China versions.
I preferred the USA version... because it was Made in USA and for the styling differences. :smile:
Maybe you can spot some of these differences on the web site pics, but sometimes the pictures they use are old stock photos, so it's not a fool proof method.
I had another chat last night and they confirmed that medium satchels are currently made in China ‍♀️ Only small (or mini I don’t remember) are made in US and i got even the different style code. I was able to see the made in US version on dooneys website. And they took my email in case they get a medium satchel Made in US they will inform me. But so far they all are made in China with the green lining which I don’t really like.

But thanks for your detailed description. Very helpful.

I had another chat last night and they confirmed that medium satchels are currently made in China ‍♀️ Only small (or mini I don’t remember) are made in US and i got even the different style code. I was able to see the made in US version on dooneys website. And they took my email in case they get a medium satchel Made in US they will inform me. But so far they all are made in China with the green lining which I don’t really like.

But thanks for your detailed description. Very helpful.

It's always important to ask the follow-up questions and get the details.... it's good to know the small or mini is made in USA :smile:. Please share the style code.

Last year I ordered 2 different small Flo satchels, a few weeks apart. I didn't focus on the pictures or style codes, but when they arrived it was clear one was USA and one was China. I'm not sure that info could have been figured out from the pictures on the web site.
But I admit, I was focused on getting the color I wanted, on sale, and probably didn't pay enough attention to the details, since I'm very familiar with the small Flo satchel. I ended up returning both.... the Bordeaux color was too brown, and I didn't like the look of the leather. Neither of the 2 bags thrilled me.

I hope Dooney moves the production of all the Flo handbags out of China... to the US.

Reactions: Coach Lover Too
The satchels with red lining has a style number: 8L98B. The green lining is: 8L980. I tried it on their website under search and it worked. I just don’t like the green lining.

I also wish that dooney moves the production out of China and to the US. Since I am from Europe I don’t wanna go back and forth with my shipment. It would be not easy and annoying for me.

Ladies, I need to pull from your wealth of knowledge. I'll leave out a number of details to make this short as possible.
I have kept a climate controlled storage unit for years containing my off season clothes, bedding items, misc. household items not currently in use, & just general stuff. I had been considering storing my off season handbags there but hadn't gotten around to it - thankfully!
The unit I had I had kept for 5 years, & usually visited about once a month. Two weeks ago when I opened the door to the building the strongest odor I have ever smelled in my life hit me full in the face. Mothballs! Not like just a few, or even one box. It smelled like someone was literally storing mothballs or covering up the smell of something else. I had to go home & saline wash my sinuses out several times as they were on fire! After needless haggling with the property manager & his district manager, they agreed to move my items at their cost to another storage company. But the damage was done.
Now the cleanup. I pulled 6 handmade quilts my mother made to the cleaners, who washed each quilt 3 times to eliminate the odor. $$$.
Here's where I need some help please. What could I possibly put in my new unit to absorb the fumes enough so that I can stand to take items a few at a time home & wash? The only thing I have come up with is to set buckets of charcoal inside the unit. The odor is much too strong for any small normal solution.
All suggestions welcome!