Dooney Nylon...WOW

Aug 13, 2014
I never thought I would be impressed by a nylon handbag. I'm a dedicated leather handbag lover with a very
large collection of Dooney leather handbags. I just ordered and received my first Dooney nylon.... IN041...
the large pocket satchel with 2 zip pockets on the front. And I am impressed with the quality of the handbag, the
fabric (textile) and the detail.

I ordered a nylon handbag because I needed a lighter weight alternative for some situations.
I'm a satchel handbag carrier, so I didn't want any of the hobos or open totes. I needed a decent
size, short double handles, and a zip top. I don't really like coated cotton handbags. The patterns are
nice, but I don't like the feel of the coated cotton.

The quality of this Dooney nylon fabric is top of the line. It's thick and looks good. The zipper on the bag is
metal and smooth as butter. The interior pockets are trimmed with leather. The Dooney patch on
the front is leather (which I much prefer to the metal logo plates). Of course the handles and handle
anchor tabs are leather. And the handle anchor tabs are the tear drop shape, like on the zip zip,
rather than the plain (and in my opinion quite utilitarian) rectangular anchor tabs that are on bags like
the Lexington tote and others. The shoulder strap is 3 parts, and can be shortened to short shoulder.
The center strap section has a wider leather piece for comfort. The shoulder strap attaches to D rings on the
ends of the bag (just beyond the zipper). Again, a much better design than attaching the shoulder strap
to the handles or from front to back as on some other handbags.

All in all, this bag is a winner. I chose the black/black and was lucky to catch a good sale on ILD. :smile:

I never thought I would be impressed by a nylon handbag. I'm a dedicated leather handbag lover with a very
large collection of Dooney leather handbags. I just ordered and received my first Dooney nylon.... IN041...
the large pocket satchel with 2 zip pockets on the front. And I am impressed with the quality of the handbag, the
fabric (textile) and the detail.

I ordered a nylon handbag because I needed a lighter weight alternative for some situations.
I'm a satchel handbag carrier, so I didn't want any of the hobos or open totes. I needed a decent
size, short double handles, and a zip top. I don't really like coated cotton handbags. The patterns are
nice, but I don't like the feel of the coated cotton.

The quality of this Dooney nylon fabric is top of the line. It's thick and looks good. The zipper on the bag is
metal and smooth as butter. The interior pockets are trimmed with leather. The Dooney patch on
the front is leather (which I much prefer to the metal logo plates). Of course the handles and handle
anchor tabs are leather. And the handle anchor tabs are the tear drop shape, like on the zip zip,
rather than the plain (and in my opinion quite utilitarian) rectangular anchor tabs that are on bags like
the Lexington tote and others. The shoulder strap is 3 parts, and can be shortened to short shoulder.
The center strap section has a wider leather piece for comfort. The shoulder strap attaches to D rings on the
ends of the bag (just beyond the zipper). Again, a much better design than attaching the shoulder strap
to the handles or from front to back as on some other handbags.

All in all, this bag is a winner. I chose the black/black and was lucky to catch a good sale on ILD. :smile:
Thx for the info. I've been debating whether or not to try their nylon. I've been eyeing the Wayfarer Hobo, but I tend to go with LeSportsac or Baggallini when buying Nylon.

Thx for the info. I've been debating whether or not to try their nylon. I've been eyeing the Wayfarer Hobo, but I tend to go with LeSportsac or Baggallini when buying Nylon.
I don't have the other brands, nor have I seen the Wayfarer Hobo from Dooney in person. I have an impression that the Dooney nylon is thicker than the nylon some other brands use. Also, the amount of leather trim may differ and affect the weight of the handbag. All things to consider, based upon what you like, etc. I think my sister has a Baggallini handbag and likes it very much. As a leather handbag lover (devotee) the Dooney was a better fit for me... at least it makes me happier to carry when I need something lighter than my leather bags.

Reactions: VintageViv
I was admiring those too. One of my first Dooney’s was from the cabrio collection, I loved the combo of the leather with the cabrio fabric, but wow the black/black is a steal! .My mom always packs a Dooney nylon crossbody when she goes in her cruises. it’s super durable and packs flat when traveling. She’s had a black/black one for years and it still looks great.

Reactions: VintageViv
I was admiring those too. One of my first Dooney’s was from the cabrio collection, I loved the combo of the leather with the cabrio fabric, but wow the black/black is a steal! .My mom always packs a Dooney nylon crossbody when she goes in her cruises. it’s super durable and packs flat when traveling. She’s had a black/black one for years and it still looks great.
I don't have the other brands, nor have I seen the Wayfarer Hobo from Dooney in person. I have an impression that the Dooney nylon is thicker than the nylon some other brands use. Also, the amount of leather trim may differ and affect the weight of the handbag. All things to consider, based upon what you like, etc. I think my sister has a Baggallini handbag and likes it very much. As a leather handbag lover (devotee) the Dooney was a better fit for me... at least it makes me happier to carry when I need something lighter than my leather bags.
I love Nylon for casual/utilitarian carry, especially for summer travel, but I have never carried one with leather trim. I always carry all nylon or all leather, but I will definitely take another look at Dooney!

I love Nylon for casual/utilitarian carry, especially for summer travel, but I have never carried one with leather trim. I always carry all nylon or all leather, but I will definitely take another look at Dooney!
The leather trim 'elevates' the look of a nylon handbag. :smile:
But leather trim does add weight, as do metal zippers.
Plastic zippers that many other brands use on their nylon handbags, along
with thinner nylon, result in lighter weight handbags. It's a trade off.
And I'm discovering, a lot of my handbag weight comes from what I put inside.... all those beautiful leather pouches don't help with the weight
factor. :sad: ,

Reactions: defeated