Dooney FLORENTINE Clubhouse!!

RN: the 'medium' Flo satchel is heavy. I don't think your would enjoy it today as a walking around
handbag. :sad:

And yes, the strap width on the Flo satchels changes as you go from
the largest satchel (medium 15" length) down to the small (13" length) and to the mini (11"length).
The narrower straps get a lot of complaints from those who carry the bags on their shoulders
or crossbody. Even tho the small and mini Flo satchels are much lighter than the medium,
they are still relatively heavy handbags. The weight of the leather and all your items compressed
into a smaller space seems to make the width of the shoulder/crossbody more important.

Of course the less you carry, the lighter the bag seems. But by the time I add my keys and
cellphone even an otherwise empy nylon crossbody handbag is heavy and uncomfortable for me
because the strap is thin.

RN: the 'medium' Flo satchel is heavy. I don't think your would enjoy it today as a walking around
handbag. :sad:

And yes, the strap width on the Flo satchels changes as you go from
the largest satchel (medium 15" length) down to the small (13" length) and to the mini (11"length).
The narrower straps get a lot of complaints from those who carry the bags on their shoulders
or crossbody. Even tho the small and mini Flo satchels are much lighter than the medium,
they are still relatively heavy handbags. The weight of the leather and all your items compressed
into a smaller space seems to make the width of the shoulder/crossbody more important.

Of course the less you carry, the lighter the bag seems. But by the time I add my keys and
cellphone even an otherwise empy nylon crossbody handbag is heavy and uncomfortable for me
because the strap is thin.
Hi LJ,
I'm sure you're right. I was thinking of pulling out my Olivia satchel when I get back to my DD's but I remember how it was heavier than I wanted to carry walking. I walked over three miles with it when my BFF came for a visit in 2016 and I remember halfway through our walk I was wishing I could leave it somewhere and have it delivered the rest of the way home. :lol: And I don't think I was carrying much. I can imagine how Florentine leather will weigh me down.

When did the price become $498? Has there been an increase? I do not remember it being this expensive?
A lot of the bags have had a huge price increase, including the nylon collection. It's a way to make more profit, even when offering significant discounts. However, the price does change every now and then. They make markdowns, and you can also take advantage of other discounts.
P.S. Isn't that red bag gorgeous?

Yes I was admiring it and then saw the price. I do not remember paying that much...$500? Even with 25% off, $373. I don't think I paid that much for my red medium satchel. Well hopefully great sales for the holidays. I will have to really pay attention to the price games.

Reactions: Brendutch
PF: the 'medium' Flo satchel started at $398 when it was first released, many years ago.
(At least that is what I remember). It stayed at that price for a long time. Then it went
up to mid $400's, I think. Doesn't surprise me that it's $498 now.

I don't like the higher prices either. But, from a quality standpoint, I've always thought
that the Dooney Flo handbags were much better value compared to other brands like
Coach and Tory Birch, etc.

I think the culture of discounts and sales has also contributed to pushing the 'list' price up.
The rest is just arithmetic (and marketing)....for the company and for the buyer. Bottom line real
dollars are what goes into or out of the bank. It's hard to keep our focus on that because we
forget all the numbers over time and tend to be attracted by the size of the discount!
We can't do much about the list prices going up, but we can search for the biggest
discount in hopes of getting the best value.

Absolutely. I will certainly be looking for good deals, and thank you LF for always posting the good sales! Especially with the holidays coming..BEST gift is florentine!

Reactions: Brendutch and swags
Swags: you have excellent taste. That handbag has lots of beautiful Florentine leather.
But.... because it's large and Florentine.... it's heavy. The description says over 3 lbs.
Once you add your things.... it will be much heavier. I love the size and the look and
the deep 8" base is fantastic..... but I will have to leave bags like this one to those
who are stronger than I am. If I see it on sale, I will post a heads up.

Reactions: Brendutch and swags
Sunday morning, Sept 19.... a few 'new' items added on ILD in the
Florentine section. I saw some light taupe (including small Satchel , 13")
and some additional pale blue styles and one or 2 others.
The Logan small drawstring is there in black.....only 1 left.
Maybe someone will buy it and I can stop obsessing.

Swags: you have excellent taste. That handbag has lots of beautiful Florentine leather.
But.... because it's large and Florentine.... it's heavy. The description says over 3 lbs.
Once you add your things.... it will be much heavier. I love the size and the look and
the deep 8" base is fantastic..... but I will have to leave bags like this one to those
who are stronger than I am. If I see it on sale, I will post a heads up.
Agree! Also, the pockets look very difficult to get in and out. Otherwise, it is a gorgeous bag. It was in my cart for a minute, but then I thought about the weight and those pockets… :tdown: Maybe if they lowered the price…:yes:

Reactions: RuedeNesle
Agree! Also, the pockets look very difficult to get in and out. Otherwise, it is a gorgeous bag. It was in my cart for a minute, but then I thought about the weight and those pockets… :tdown: Maybe if they lowered the price…:yes:
I debated getting it a few times today. I didn’t think about the weight at first but a heavy bag gets tedious rather quickly. The leather looks gorgeous but I have seen a perfect Florentine on QVC only for a striped or pebbled one to show up at my house. For $500 they should all be perfect.

I debated getting it a few times today. I didn’t think about the weight at first but a heavy bag gets tedious rather quickly. The leather looks gorgeous but I have seen a perfect Florentine on QVC only for a striped or pebbled one to show up at my house. For $500 they should all be perfect.
Swags: when I look at the close up pics on the QVC site.... lately, all the florentine leather looks
very textured. Maybe it's just the hi-def photograpy? Some of the YT videos of recent purchases
also seem to have Flo leather that is textured. It's not exactly pebbled, not exactly wrinkled,
but it's not smooth either.
The items I've gotten directly from Dooney or ILD are either smooth and supple or
thick and slightly grained (like I imagine saddle leather to be). While I prefer the look and
feel of the smooth and supple, I think the thick and slightly grained leather will hold up
well for long term use and soften over time. None of the bags I've gotten from Dooney or
ILD have the all over texture that the ones on QVC seem to have.

It's a mystery to me. Is Dooey preparing the leather differently for the style on QVC...
maybe tumbling the leather to increase softness? Or is it just a quirk of hi def photos?

Reactions: defeated