Dooney FLORENTINE Clubhouse!!

I'm a newbie and looking at my first designer purse, I'm looking at the Florentin Cameron Satchel, my biggest concern though is, how durable are they? I sadly am not a delicate or dainty person, so looking for something classic that will be an every day purse and probably will see some abuse. Any insight?
Mabey: welcome to the Dooney forum. I'm gong to agree with the other ladies here.
For carefree, everyday use, a pebbled leather Dooney is my first choice and you will have
lots of styles to choose from.

Florentine leather is beautiful and high quality. If you want a Florentine handbag for everyday
use, without concern about weather, etc.... then go for a dark color. I've used black and navy
Florentine handbags in all kinds of weather and have had no problems. Lighter colors need more
care in terms of spotting and color transfer. Think of Florentine leather like a fine saddle.... it is
made for years of wear, but will look different based on it's life experience.

Some Florentine leather will arrive soft and without any pebbling or grain visible. Other
handbags will have thicker and firmer leather. Some will have visible leather grain
or pebbling. Dooney collectors have their preferences. The thicker and firmer the leather,
and the more graining or pebbling, the less the leather will show wear. It's not as elegant
and refined looking (my opinion) but it will stand up to more of what life throws at it.

Until you get a handbag, you don't know what the exact piece of leather will look like, since Florentine
leather is full grain (that's the top quality of leather) and has a natural surface that is not buffed or coated (which can hide flaws and create a consistent finish).

Overall Dooney quality is excellent. And for the money, I think it ranks with the top brands,
better than most. And don't forget sales at department stores. There is also Dooney.com
and ILOVEDOONEY.com (the online Dooney outlet), as well as some Dooney outlets scattered
about the country. Just be sure you understand the return policy and stick to the rules.
In my opinion, if you are not familiar with the brand or style, you are much better off buying in
person, if you can. Dooney and ILOVEDOONEY are very reputable and have a 30 day return
policy. But their customer service is limited and I don't think they are the best
places for a try and see if I like it approach. With very few exceptions, if you use a bag or remove the
tags, you can't return it anywhere. QVC may be one of the few companies that is more flexible on that.

As for pebbled leather, Dooney has many pebbled leather collections with lots of styles.
The All Weather Pebbled leather is the thickest and heaviest. Some of the newer pebbled leathers
are much more light weight. Pros and cons.

I own both Florentine and Pebbled leather. I reach for my pebbled leather most of the time....
regardless of weather or color or what I'm planning to do that day. Pebbled leather cleans up
nicely with a damp cloth (or a little soap, if needed) and doesn't show stains or scratch from normal
wear. I've had a pebbled leather Dooney slide across a dirty Gas station floor and look perfect
after a quick wipe down. (My knees did not look as good).

If you have any questions about specific Dooney bags, leathers, collections, just ask.
The ladies here are very helpful. We will try to give you information to make the best decision
for yourself (your needs, your budget, etc.). The 'perfect' handbag does not exist in the
abstract. We all need and want different things. What's right for you might not work for
someone else, and vise-versa.... hand carry, shoulder carry, cross body; zip top, open top;
big or small; the list goes on.

I hope you find the perfect Dooney. But beware.... they are addictive.... like potato chips.
It's hard to stop at only one. Not because you need another one, but because you want another
color or style.

I'm a newbie and looking at my first designer purse, I'm looking at the Florentin Cameron Satchel, my biggest concern though is, how durable are they? I sadly am not a delicate or dainty person, so looking for something classic that will be an every day purse and probably will see some abuse. Any insight?
Welcome!!!!! I started my flo collection with the Cameron...beautiful bag but not a carefree carry and was too structured for me. It's not a soft and mushy bag...old school awl bags are indestructible and I've had those for the past 20 years, these were my starter Dooney bags in my 20s...I only have one Pebble Grain Bag right now due to my love of old-school awl...the newer Pebble Grain leather seems too thin for me.....my favorite silhouette right now is the Smith in florentine or canvas...all my flos are sprayed down with water/stain repellent immediately and I'm careful where I place them..and use florentine daily. Like LJ said.. these bags are like potato chips...especially when you find the silhouette that works for you...thus I have a Rainbow of smith, allison, and Cameron crossbody...LOL

• Love
Reactions: RuedeNesle
All the Hattie girls together ❤
WOW, what a beautiful rainbow of Hattie girls you have.
All the colors are lovely, but Fuchsia steels the show for me.
Although the Red Hattie is a strong contender for prettiest girl too.
There is something about those bright, beautiful, fully saturated colors
in Florentine leather. And the dark trim on the Hattie sets it off nicely.
Enjoy your Hattie collection.

Got my salmon crossbody cameron from HSN...purse is beautiful..but I was really underwhelmed with packaging...it was wrapped with plastic that was really dusty on the outside and the covers on buckles were hanging off...no padding at all...just came in a medium box with wrapping around it...so it could move around a bit in box.. I thought maybe I got a return...also doesn't have the wonderful florentine aroma...I've looked it over and no scratches and is indeed brand new....I think I'll just order directly from Dooney if I can in the future.

Reactions: BadWolf10
Got my salmon crossbody cameron from HSN...purse is beautiful..but I was really underwhelmed with packaging...it was wrapped with plastic that was really dusty on the outside and the covers on buckles were hanging off...no padding at all...just came in a medium box with wrapping around it...so it could move around a bit in box.. I thought maybe I got a return...also doesn't have the wonderful florentine aroma...I've looked it over and no scratches and is indeed brand new....I think I'll just order directly from Dooney if I can in the future.
Hi PF,
I'm happy your CBB Cameron arrived without scratches and is brand new. I know what you mean about the disappointing packaging. Two weeks ago my sister ordered a black suede triple zip CBB from QVC. (She walked in the living room when it was being presented and impulsively ordered it.) It arrived in a box much bigger than needed. There was nothing in the box to keep the bag from moving around. It was just wrapped in clear plastic, with plastic on the strap. But the bottom of the strap under the buckle was already curling. I think it was possibly a return but my sister is very happy with it so I'm not saying anything. Besides, it's going to be a while before she switches from her PG black triple zip CBB to a suede bag. She doesn't switch bags often anyway and I already saw it thrown on top of a pile of stuff in her closet. :lol:
P.S. I'm at my DD's now helping with the grandkids so I haven't had time to post. But speaking of suede, my DD ordered A384663 on QVC for me for an early birthday gift so it'll arrive while I'm here. (Guess which color? :roflmfao: ) (It's showing it should be delivered tomorrow!) I'll post pics in the New Dooney thread when I have a chance.

Last edited:
PF: enjoy your new handbag. I know packaging can be seen as a 'clue' to the bags history and
some ladies are really focused on packaging and presentation. But the bottom line is....
you like the handbag and it's in good condition and you thought the price was 'good' enough
so you bought it. So enjoy your new treasure.

I've thought a lot about packaging and presentation, especially after watching YT videos.
My bottom line.... unless it's a gift to someone, as long as it arrives in good condition, I
don't sweat it. Yes, I'd prefer better packaging from QVC/HSN/ILD/Dooney too. But only to
the extent it's necessary to protect the handbag during shipment and keep the handles, straps,
buckles, etc. in perfect condition. When I spend time unwrapping a new bag and removing all
the plastic, I often think about land fills and waste and wonder if there is a better way.

BTW, I've gotten handbags from Coach that were poorly wrapped, also. And handles have
been pressed against the front of the bag leaving marks and permanent indentions.
So, the problem is wide spread. I've gotten handbags from Macy's shipped in plastic bags,
no padding, and the plastic bags were so small the handbag had to be smushed to fit inside.

Finding the right balance between protecting the handbag during shipping and conserving
resources..... I'm not sure companies are thinking it through. Most are probably focused on
cost.... shipping and packaging.

RN: Your new suede bag is beautiful. I had to check it out. The RED will be stunning. But I'd be
happy with any of the colors.... that bag has my name written all over it. I love the satchel style and
the addition of the zipper pocket outside is really a big plus to the zip zip styled handbags. I also
think the full leather trim around the bottom of the bag is a beautiful detail that enchance
the elegance of the bag. Enjoy your birthday and your new handbag.

I'm seeing more suede in the Dooney line-up lately. Guess fall is really just around the
corner. There was a suede Brenna on ILD that has my attention. Now you've added another
suede bag for me to drool over.

Dooney also featured a croco embossed cross body on QVC this week. Guess we will see
the reappearance of croco bags this fall. I love croco embossed leather, so I'm looking forward
to seeing the colors and styles they bring out. I also like the ostrich and snake/lizard embossed
leathers, but I think croco is my favorite and it will be nice to see it again.

• Love
Reactions: RuedeNesle
RN: Your new suede bag is beautiful. I had to check it out. The RED will be stunning. But I'd be
happy with any of the colors.... that bag has my name written all over it. I love the satchel style and
the addition of the zipper pocket outside is really a big plus to the zip zip styled handbags. I also
think the full leather trim around the bottom of the bag is a beautiful detail that enchance
the elegance of the bag. Enjoy your birthday and your new handbag.

I'm seeing more suede in the Dooney line-up lately. Guess fall is really just around the
corner. There was a suede Brenna on ILD that has my attention. Now you've added another
suede bag for me to drool over.

Dooney also featured a croco embossed cross body on QVC this week. Guess we will see
the reappearance of croco bags this fall. I love croco embossed leather, so I'm looking forward
to seeing the colors and styles they bring out. I also like the ostrich and snake/lizard embossed
leathers, but I think croco is my favorite and it will be nice to see it again.
Thanks LJ! (And I knew you'd know the color of my bag! :smile: )
I've always wanted a suede Dooney. And suede is one leather I won't buy on the resell market. You really never know the true condition until it arrives and I'm just not willing to take that chance. I was happy to see a great price reduction on this bag. But when my DD bought it for me it was on a clearance price of $187.77. Two days later and it's on a Clearance Sale price of $168.99. I called QVC for my DD and the CS Rep happily and quickly issued a refund for the difference.

I'm seeing more suede too. In fact, I was watching an old QVC youtube video with Sue and Jane presenting a suede satchel and Sue was saying Dooney only does 2-3 suede bags every year. Now I'm seeing a lot more new suede bags on QVC, and Dooney, and ILD.

Yes! I saw the croco CBB presented as a [Bonus Buy]. It will be nice to see croco again. Dooney will be on again this weekend. I'm curious to see if more new handbags are presented.