Dooney FLORENTINE Clubhouse!!

Question for those who are very familiar with this leather:

I recently purchased a Hattie and the satchel. I’ve read that with care and proper use, this leather ages well as is the case with any leather.

Well, curiosity led me to Poshmark to see how some older Florentines are aging. Most look horrible! They either look 1. chapped and dry 2. lumpy, hard and dark in spots 3. saggy (not the sometimes covetable slouch)or just an awful combination. I’m not referring to patina because really, bring that on.

Are these bags I’ve seen possibly just examples of lack of care? Do these bags actually age well? I take care of my things but please no to the above outcomes in spite of my efforts. Ugh. Thanks in advance for your input.

Question for those who are very familiar with this leather:

I recently purchased a Hattie and the satchel. I’ve read that with care and proper use, this leather ages well as is the case with any leather.

Well, curiosity led me to Poshmark to see how some older Florentines are aging. Most look horrible! They either look 1. chapped and dry 2. lumpy, hard and dark in spots 3. saggy (not the sometimes covetable slouch)or just an awful combination. I’m not referring to patina because really, bring that on.

Are these bags I’ve seen possibly just examples of lack of care? Do these bags actually age well? I take care of my things but please no to the above outcomes in spite of my efforts. Ugh. Thanks in advance for your input.

All of my new-purchased Florentine I bought within the past year, so still in great shape. However, I have bought used Florentine bags from several seasons ago (but no more than 10 years ago as I believe the official Florentine line only started within the past 10 years?) as well as Dooneys from the late 90s or early 2000s done in some sort of Natural colored leather that acts and feels like what would later be branded as Florentine.

Out of all of those, only one has had anything untoward happen to it, and it was something (color changes to blue Florentine) i had through my research been been led to expect. I purchased a used bag in a dark teal-ish blue--I believe it may be called Ocean even though it is more teal/denim than the pebbled leather version of Ocean. All parts of the leather that were hidden or protected--the trimmings inside the bag, the insides of pockets--were the original vibrant blue, while the majority of the bag which had been exposed to light and air was a darker, muted, teal-tinged blue. But the bag still looks overall fine if you don't mind having a different color from the original one.

Just note that others online have talked about Blues fading in a far less attractive way than mine. There are YouTube videos about that. Maybe it was the blue dyes specifically.

I have also washed--yes, in the washing machine--beaten-up secondhand Florentine bags and the leather came out great looking (it was the lining that got shredded!)

Having said that, not all Florentine starts out as pretty as others even when new. Most people in this thread have probably seen their share of half-pebbled/half-smooth bags sold new, or bags sold new with weird patches of wrinkling which, yes, tend to seem drier. It's possible you are seeing bags which, even when new, had these inconsistencies in the skin.

Some people are very anti-putting conditioners or products on their Florentine because of the official Dooney disclaimers saying no creams or polishes are needed or advised. That could also be a factor.

All of my new-purchased Florentine I bought within the past year, so still in great shape. However, I have bought used Florentine bags from several seasons ago (but no more than 10 years ago as I believe the official Florentine line only started within the past 10 years?) as well as Dooneys from the late 90s or early 2000s done in some sort of Natural colored leather that acts and feels like what would later be branded as Florentine.

Out of all of those, only one has had anything untoward happen to it, and it was something (color changes to blue Florentine) i had through my research been been led to expect. I purchased a used bag in a dark teal-ish blue--I believe it may be called Ocean even though it is more teal/denim than the pebbled leather version of Ocean. All parts of the leather that were hidden or protected--the trimmings inside the bag, the insides of pockets--were the original vibrant blue, while the majority of the bag which had been exposed to light and air was a darker, muted, teal-tinged blue. But the bag still looks overall fine if you don't mind having a different color from the original one.

Just note that others online have talked about Blues fading in a far less attractive way than mine. There are YouTube videos about that. Maybe it was the blue dyes specifically.

I have also washed--yes, in the washing machine--beaten-up secondhand Florentine bags and the leather came out great looking (it was the lining that got shredded!)

Having said that, not all Florentine starts out as pretty as others even when new. Most people in this thread have probably seen their share of half-pebbled/half-smooth bags sold new, or bags sold new with weird patches of wrinkling which, yes, tend to seem drier. It's possible you are seeing bags which, even when new, had these inconsistencies in the skin.

Some people are very anti-putting conditioners or products on their Florentine because of the official Dooney disclaimers saying no creams or polishes are needed or advised. That could also be a factor.
Hello there. Thanks for your detailed reply. You made many good points that I never considered. I was trying to decide if a return might be in order because of my disappointment in the appearance of older bags I’d seen. My two bags in Florentine Vaccheta were received in beautiful condition. No pebbling, wrinkling or strange patches on either.

That said, I can enjoy my bags and care for them probably and expect only good results.

Thanks again.

Reactions: DaffodilDuck
After admiring this satchel for so long, I then saw MamaBeech's YouTube video on the patina and read comments recommending ordering through the outlet... And now I get it. All the accolades this bag is given, and the hardy Florentine leather, I am on the bandwagon. Thanks for letting me share; I have joined the club with my Mini Satchel in Natural: IMG_20180712_224942_1.jpg

Hello there. Thanks for your detailed reply. You made many good points that I never considered. I was trying to decide if a return might be in order because of my disappointment in the appearance of older bags I’d seen. My two bags in Florentine Vaccheta were received in beautiful condition. No pebbling, wrinkling or strange patches on either.

That said, I can enjoy my bags and care for them probably and expect only good results.

Thanks again.

You're welcome! If it were me and I took delivery of great-looking Florentines, I'd keep them. Not every delivery of a Florentine bag results in a consistently beautiful leather and fully satisfied customer.

If they were received in beautiful condition, and if you aren't afraid to use conditioners if the skin begins to appear dry, I see no reason save color fading on certain dye lots/colors (so far I only know about blues) and water/rain spotting for why your bags would go downhill.

I figured you're aware that any type of unfinished/untreated leather can be susceptible to water marks. I have put Colourlock brand protectant cream on the vachetta/Natural handles and straps of my nylon, pebbled and coated cotton bags. It cuts down on the number of water spots and makes them less dark/noticeable. But I don't want to treat my entire Florentine bags because I'm afraid their color (especially the Natural) and texture will change too much on a large surface area. So I only carry them when the forecast says 0% chance of rain and keep a plastic bag inside them to use as a raincoat for the bag if needed.

I really hope you enjoy your new prizes!

After admiring this satchel for so long, I then saw MamaBeech's YouTube video on the patina and read comments recommending ordering through the outlet... And now I get it. All the accolades this bag is given, and the hardy Florentine leather, I am on the bandwagon. Thanks for letting me share; I have joined the club with my Mini Satchel in Natural: View attachment 4130454
Enjoy your new Florentine satchel. She's beautiful.

Reactions: christinemliu
I thought i would show off my florentines :smile:

Medium florentine satchel in natural...from 2010. It has held up beautifully and really deepened in color. Used it a lot.
Florentine domed satchel in black.
Cassidy hobo in ginger.
Small florentine in chestnut.
Barlow in bordeaux.
View attachment 4135936

Beautiful and well-kept collection!
You must have been among the first customers for Florentine. From what I can remember the Dooney representative saying in presentations on QVC, it couldn't have been much earlier than 2010 that the Florentine line was introduced as the next big thing.

Did you treat/use a water or stain protectant product on the Natural? Did you use it rain or shine? Any water spotting or adverse effects?
I never use my Natural Medium satchel because I don't want to alter its fabulous finish (i got a buttery and smooth one) with the water protectant I put on the vachetta trim of many Dooney bags.

Beautiful and well-kept collection!
You must have been among the first customers for Florentine. From what I can remember the Dooney representative saying in presentations on QVC, it couldn't have been much earlier than 2010 that the Florentine line was introduced as the next big thing.

Did you treat/use a water or stain protectant product on the Natural? Did you use it rain or shine? Any water spotting or adverse effects?
I never use my Natural Medium satchel because I don't want to alter its fabulous finish (i got a buttery and smooth one) with the water protectant I put on the vachetta trim of many Dooney bags.

I purchased the Medium Florentine Satchel in 2010 at a Von Maur. It was love at first sight!

All the other i purchased in 2016 and 2017 and 2018. I've never used anything on any of these bags, and i use them rain or shine. No spotting, etc.

Reactions: DaffodilDuck