Dooney DILLEN club!

I'm looking HARD at the Dillen double pocket satchel on Dooneys website. If I hadn't already grabbed a florentine Dixon the other day I would have already pulled the trigger. Is there a big difference between the Dillen leather and just the pebbled leather? I'm soooo tempted, and with "dooneypay" it would be easy to pretend that I didn't blow almost $400 on bags while I was on PTO....
The Dillen Double Pocket satchels are a thicker and softer leather than the pebbled leather version. The Dillen version is also slightly heavier. I prefer the quality of the Dillen leather. Check the pictures, as I remember the Diller has the checked lining and the pockets are not leather trimmed. I don't recall the inside of the pebbled version.
I just checked the pictures, and the pebbled version has the red lining, but no leather trim inside.
On the Dillen version some of the colors seem to have leather trim inside, but some do not.... so don't expect it.

Last edited:
The Dillen Double Pocket satchels are a thicker and softer leather than the pebbled leather version. The Dillen version is also slightly heavier. I prefer the quality of the Dillen leather. Check the pictures, as I remember the Diller has the checked lining and the pockets are not leather trimmed. I don't recall the inside of the pebbled version.
I just checked the pictures, and the pebbled version has the red lining, but no leather trim inside.
On the Dillen version some of the colors seem to have leather trim inside, but some do not.... so don't expect it.
One more thing.... the logo plate is different. On the Dillen it's at the top and the cut out duck. On the pebbled it's at the bottom and the regular solid square plate.

Reactions: DooneyDog
One more thing.... the logo plate is different. On the Dillen it's at the top and the cut out duck. On the pebbled it's at the bottom and the regular solid square plate.
When I called Dooney to inquire about the difference between Dillen and Pebble leather I was told the bags with the duck emblem are more water friendly. Makes perfect sense..water rolls off a ducks back

Reactions: RuedeNesle
When I called Dooney to inquire about the difference between Dillen and Pebble leather I was told the bags with the duck emblem are more water friendly. Makes perfect sense..water rolls off a ducks back

Thanks for the information.

The duck emblem was the original theme used by Dooney for the All Weather Leather, which I believe was their first pebbled leather. Over the years there have been other leather that were pebbled. They are of various thicknesses and probably made using a variety of techniques. The duck logo, in one form or another was used on several of the other collections, including the Dillen 1 and Dillen 2.

I think that all the pebbled leathers are water resistant. The degree to which water will roll off vs dry off may differ. As long as the water doesn't stain the leather I don't know that the differences are all that significant in most handbag uses. I've had slightly pebbled light color Dooney leathers get drenched in the rain, absorb the water, and dry off to look perfect again.

The water resistance is one of the key advantages of Dooney pebbled leather. But when the design is paired with a smooth leather handle or trim or an undyed vachetta leather, then the handbag becomes much more sensitive to weather. The pebbled portion of a zip zip, for example, may
be just fine, but rain can leave spots on the trim. I try to remember to use a little protectant, like Mink Oil (which is a wax, not an oil) on the handles and trim of my zip zips to protect them. Never use it on the pebbled leather portion of the handbag. And I've never tried it on any undyed natural vachetta leather, so I don't know what would happen. But on the varying colors of brown trim Dooney uses on the zip zips the Mink Oil hasn't caused any problems and seems to help avoid rain spots.

Of course, saffiano and other coated Dooney leathers are just fine in the rain without any special care.

Thanks for the information.

The duck emblem was the original theme used by Dooney for the All Weather Leather, which I believe was their first pebbled leather. Over the years there have been other leather that were pebbled. They are of various thicknesses and probably made using a variety of techniques. The duck logo, in one form or another was used on several of the other collections, including the Dillen 1 and Dillen 2.

I think that all the pebbled leathers are water resistant. The degree to which water will roll off vs dry off may differ. As long as the water doesn't stain the leather I don't know that the differences are all that significant in most handbag uses. I've had slightly pebbled light color Dooney leathers get drenched in the rain, absorb the water, and dry off to look perfect again.

The water resistance is one of the key advantages of Dooney pebbled leather. But when the design is paired with a smooth leather handle or trim or an undyed vachetta leather, then the handbag becomes much more sensitive to weather. The pebbled portion of a zip zip, for example, may
be just fine, but rain can leave spots on the trim. I try to remember to use a little protectant, like Mink Oil (which is a wax, not an oil) on the handles and trim of my zip zips to protect them. Never use it on the pebbled leather portion of the handbag. And I've never tried it on any undyed natural vachetta leather, so I don't know what would happen. But on the varying colors of brown trim Dooney uses on the zip zips the Mink Oil hasn't caused any problems and seems to help avoid rain spots.

Of course, saffiano and other coated Dooney leathers are just fine in the rain without any special care.

Thank you lavenderjunkie! That is great information which I really need to know since I am new. I am struggling with making my first purchase. There are so many bags I want to buy it is hard to pick the first one. I never even considered the handle and trim. I have been leaning toward the Dillen collection based on the reviews I have read here. Thank you for this very useful information. Back to watching youtubes to help me make my first purchase.

Thank you lavenderjunkie! That is great information which I really need to know since I am new. I am struggling with making my first purchase. There are so many bags I want to buy it is hard to pick the first one. I never even considered the handle and trim. I have been leaning toward the Dillen collection based on the reviews I have read here. Thank you for this very useful information. Back to watching youtubes to help me make my first purchase.
You're welcome. All the ladies on the forum are happy to help if you have questions or want an opinion on a handbag someone might own.

Reactions: DooneyDog