Dooney & Bourke in ostrich

ElenaAlex

Jul 16, 2020
I'm thinking to get myself for Christmas a bag and wallet from exotic leather and as I refuse to pay the high price point for example of Louis Vuitton, I had a look at Dooney.com - they do have some bags in ostrich leather :happydance:

I will not be able to go to any shop so the only option is to order it online. The problem with that is that I will not be able to return it - I have to pay shipping and custom taxes so the price does get quite high and I'm not willing to lose the postage + custom taxes + another postage for return. So before I buy, if anyone has any bag in ostrich, could you please share your opinion - is the quality as good as the other bags? Does it worth buying in ostrich at all? And anything else you would like share will be much appreciated :smile:

Thank you

The Dooney and Bourke Ostrich collection is embossed cowhide - not "ostrich" leather. If you are OK with that for the look, Dooney's quality is usually pretty good. I would have a problem buying something sight unseen that would be a hassle and expensive to return, though.

Reactions: ElenaAlex
Thank you for pointing at that - I didn't see it mentioned when I had a look at the bags. It explains the price :smile:. I still like them so I will think about it, maybe when they go on sale.

I have no problems buying online without seeing the items, but here we have at least 14 days to return the product without any questions if it is not as advertised or we just don't like it. So I wanted to make sure I really want the bag in this case.

Reactions: cbarrus
Elena: I own many Dooney ostrich embossed leather handbags. I've collected them for years. I like the look. The leather is a fairly sturdy calf/cowhide leather that is embossed and dyed. It is generally pretty 'stiff' when the bag is new, but the leather softens over time with use (unless the handbag style
is very structured). In my opinion, the leather is not especially thick, but it's not thin and overly fragile either. So it's fine.

Because of the texturing on the handbag, you don't see lots of scratches or other signs of wear if you
use the handbag often. That's a real plus. The only issue I've had (with some older bags) is that
the color on the corners (of the base) can wear away. Corner wear is typical on lots of handbags
(if the styles have sharp or pointy bottom corners)
unless the leathers are 'drum dyed', and these days very few styles fit that description (and getting the information is almost impossible). Even high end styles like ostrich and croco embossed leathers
aren't drum dyed because the 'look' of the embossing requires a different application of the dyes,
according to the manufacturers.

What style(s) and color(s) are you thinking about?
Over the last year I've bought several Dooney ostrich handbags,
in a variety of styles and colors.

Over the years Dooney has done some special collections for department stores.
This might provide you another source of styles/color and pricing to look at,
along with Dooney.com and I Love Dooney (the official Dooney online outlet).
Dooney.com and I Love Dooney (ILD) have lots of sales, usually around holidays
or what ever creative reason they dream up). Oct 12 is Columbus Day in the US....
typically there are a lot of sales that weekend.

Happy shopping and let me know if you have any specific questions about a style or color.

Elena: I own many Dooney ostrich embossed leather handbags. I've collected them for years. I like the look. The leather is a fairly sturdy calf/cowhide leather that is embossed and dyed. It is generally pretty 'stiff' when the bag is new, but the leather softens over time with use (unless the handbag style
is very structured). In my opinion, the leather is not especially thick, but it's not thin and overly fragile either. So it's fine.

Because of the texturing on the handbag, you don't see lots of scratches or other signs of wear if you
use the handbag often. That's a real plus. The only issue I've had (with some older bags) is that
the color on the corners (of the base) can wear away. Corner wear is typical on lots of handbags
(if the styles have sharp or pointy bottom corners)
unless the leathers are 'drum dyed', and these days very few styles fit that description (and getting the information is almost impossible). Even high end styles like ostrich and croco embossed leathers
aren't drum dyed because the 'look' of the embossing requires a different application of the dyes,
according to the manufacturers.

What style(s) and color(s) are you thinking about?
Over the last year I've bought several Dooney ostrich handbags,
in a variety of styles and colors.

Over the years Dooney has done some special collections for department stores.
This might provide you another source of styles/color and pricing to look at,
along with Dooney.com and I Love Dooney (the official Dooney online outlet).
Dooney.com and I Love Dooney (ILD) have lots of sales, usually around holidays
or what ever creative reason they dream up). Oct 12 is Columbus Day in the US....
typically there are a lot of sales that weekend.

Happy shopping and let me know if you have any specific questions about a style or color.
Thank you so much. I was looking at Zip Zip satchel in tan or mushroom brown tmoro or ostrich hobo in caramel and matching zip around wristlet.

Zip Zip: https://www.dooney.com/ostrich-zip-...r=OTBOPATN&cgid=dooney-bags-style-shoulderbag
Hobo: https://www.dooney.com/ostrich-hobo...r=OTBMPAKR&cgid=dooney-bags-style-shoulderbag

I'm based in EU and my initial idea was to have a week off and go to Germany or UK and buy myself a bag but now with the increased number of infected people the chance to be put under quarantine is increasing which I don't really want. I Love Dooney doesn't ship internationally, but Dooney.com does. I have to pay extra for delivery and custom taxes so I will keep an eye on the sales, then the price will be pretty much as at full price which is fine for me - I don't really have much choice and it applies not only to Dooney.

Thank you so much for that information.

Elena: I have 3 Ostrich zip zip satchels....bone, hot pink, and saffron. and I have several Dooney
ostrich handbags in tan, cognac, black, and grey, and also a light blue.

The zip zip is a great handbag.... in either ostrich or pebbled leather. It's a decent size, not oversized
and an easy hand carry. The leather around the base is not only a great look, but also extra
protection for that area of the handbag. The one thing I would point out about the zip zip is that the
shoulder strap attaches to the handle hardware and is NOT long enough to wear the bag cross body.

I have never seen the mushroom ostrich in person. The tan and cognac are rich and beautiful. I don't
know if the ostrich in mushroom will look olive green or dark taupe or like Dooney elephant color in person. None of those alternatives appeal to me.... but that's just a personal take and since you can't see the color in person and won't be returning the handbag... choose a color you are sure you will love.

I haven't seen the hobo in person, but just looked at it online. It's a nice bag. Based on the measurements, it seems to be a tiny bit smaller than the zip zip, but the hobo is still a good size.
The strap on the hobo is nice.... it's both attractive and wide. and since it attaches via clips,
it does give you options for other straps if you have other Dooney's with similar color trim and
detachable straps. (Who knows what the future brings).

The opening on the hobo will be smaller than on the zip zip, so getting in and out might take more effort. This is not a negative, it's just that one of the main features of the zip zip is the dual zippers that extend down the sides of the bag for easy opening and the ability to see what's inside.

All the colors shown for the ostrich hobo are beautiful... caramel is very rich and the light taupe is very nice too. I like Dooney's light taupe, but not their taupe.

If you plan to carry the handbag mainly as a shoulder bag.... seriously consider the hobo over the
zip zip. The hobo is designed for shoulder carry. The zip zip is designed for hand carry but has
shoulder straps as an add on.... but the placement of the shoulder straps on the zip zip make it
an awkward shoulder carry. On the zip zip the shoulder straps are attached to the handle hardware,
one side in the front and one side in the back, diagonally. When you lift the bag by the shoulder strap the handles can flip up. Also the shoulder strap placement doesn't seem to balance the bag as well
as should straps that are placed on either end of the bag, as on the hobo, as is more typical for shoulder bags.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I confused you or if you have more questions.

Just looked at the Dooney site.... did you see

#: OT960 It's another ostrich hobo, and it's on sale.
The measurements are slightly larger than the hobo you were looking at....but not much bigger.
It has a lovely shoulder strap too.... but I think the shoulder drop might be a little shorter.
Check all the details if you like the look.

That also could be an option but I really would like Zip Zip - I like such bags and I don't really have one so it will be a good addition.
The strap is fine for me, I'm short and with normal structure.

I will wait and see what will go on sale and then I will decide :smile: Thank you again for your effort - it was very helpful. :heart:

Elena: the zip zip is a great handbag.... I own many :smile: It's a timeless classic yet very much in style.
Many high end handbag brands offer domed shaped satchels in varying sizes.
We all need to choose the handbags that work for us.... our taste, our size/space needs, and how we
will use the handbag.

I'm glad the info we discussed was useful so you can make the best decision for yourself.
All to often people only say why they love a handbag or don't like it..... but every handbag
has it's good points and 'bad' points.... and which attributes fall into which category can very
much depend upon the individuals needs. I try to remember that shoulder drop, strap length,
cross body options are important to some people.... even though they are not a factor for me!
My intent was not to turn you off the zip zip, but just to be sure you had as much info as possible.

Good luck with your quest for the best price and I hope you adore your new Dooney when you
get it. :smile:

lavenderjunkie: Thank you again. All the information was really helpful. As I mentioned I'm short so shoulder drop, strap length and
cross body option never been a problem for me. I actually don't like to use the shoulder strap, I prefer to have it in my hand or to have long handles. That is the main reason why I haven't bought such style bag - I did think it will not be very comfortable type of bag for me. But I had the chance to try it so I decided to get one myself.

I'm also quite happy That Dooney is shipping worldwide because I think their bags are excellent choice for the money.

I will definitely post my bag here when I get it

Thank you again and have a lovely day