Dooney and Bourke

amanda said:
they're really high quality (i have a mini sig and black leather hobo that's several years old that still looks brand new, even though it's not entirely leather), their designs are pretty classic and timeless, and for what you're paying, you can get some really great bags. D&B, on the other hand...i walked by a display of one of their bags the other day and, having never actually held one, picked it up and looked...my fingernail made an audible scratching sound on the signature print - it was gross. i don't know if it's treated leather or treated canvas or what, but eww. a lot of their designs seem to be quite juvenile, too. i always find it odd whenever i see someone over 18 wearing one of their print bags.

i definitely agree with you. i see some of my friends carrying d&b and i can't stand it (no offense to anyone). in my opinion, d&b's designs can be really obnoxious and loud...like in bebe the other day there was a girl carrying a plaid d&b purse and it was wayyyy too bright for my taste. d&b is too juvenile for my taste...i much prefer coach or kate spade...or chanel :love:

Irissy said:
I see wayyyy too many kids carrying D&B signature bags in my area so I'm trying to avoid D&B but I still like their all leather bags though. I just feel that D&B is becoming way too main stream but Coach is getting there too. It just makes me sad to see every other girls at the mall carrying either the D&B or Coach signature series. It has become a uniform and it's quite annoying! :sad2: That's why I'm starting to go towards the LEATHER Coach bags and steering away from their signature line too. I need to be unique... :lol:

i know how you feel! i used to be the only one with coach bags but now my friends are getting them too but mostly like the signature demis (thank goodness) so now i'm getting more into the non-signature bags. but at least carrying a real coach or even d&b is better than getting a hideous fake so as long as someone's not carrying a fake i'm ok :amuse:

i use to like dooney until they went overboard with their "it" collection. then there was the hearts, stars, and now plaid. i was in the handbags dept a lot at macys this past holiday and everytime i showed a dooney, it seemed to be a gift for someone who's still attending hs... i'd rather not be carrying the same bag as a 14 yr old.

as for coach, some of their stuff is getting ugly too. however, i'd still pick a coach over a dooney. overall though, im trying to stay away from both and upgrade my collection to include more gucci, lv, and dior.

i really dislike dooney and bourke. i feel as if they mimick many other higher end designer lines, and i really just don't find any of their stuff all that attractive.

My favorite Dooney 10 years ago was a leather tote with a brass buckle and the duck. The leather was great back then but times have changed their leather isn't what it used to be, the it collection is horrible along with stars, and the brass isn't used anymore. As I look around some manufactures are beginning to promote products that will draw the attention of the 12 to 16 year old. A buyer for coach told me coach failed when they tried that and now they are trying to draw more mature clients with their new bags. I like the look of many coach bags but...maybe they need to re-think that made in China label too?

I am the oddball here...lol! I have quite a few D&B's. I really don't like my "It" bags so much anymore. I do like the It Tapestry pattern and some of the denim. I agree that the original Duck bags were the best. The stars, hearts, doodle patterns are too much for even me :smile: Their "new leather" collection is nice, though. Once I got a Louis Vuitton....my tastes changed I think.

I have two of the DB "all weather leather" tassel totes (one tan, one a really nice bright red) that IMO are good basic bags. I don't care for their signature prints, but I don't like the Coach signature prints either. And I think the Bolero's are awful. I have yet to see anyone carrying one.

I have a Dooney signature small shoulder bag from the first year they were indroduced. I worked at Macy's at the time and picked it up for $91 after my discount. I still have it. I love it. It will probably be the last Dooney I ever buy, but I need atleast one small bag that can go with black, brown, gray, whatever color I'm wearing.

Here's the bag:
d07291e5.jpg

I have 2 DBs. One I bought it about 10 years ago with the duck logo in it on the leather tan. It was beautiful then but I don't think I will wear it today. It has been out of styly so gave that away long time ago. The one that I still use is the CRoco patern and it is still beautiful and when wear it I got a lot of compliments from people. I don't buy DB anymore especially with the new "it" collection? It's just doesn't do me anything when I see it.

My mother has so many of their older bags, (the ones all leather, witht he duck sitting on it.) But once they had D&B like avery other purse brand otu their, it wasn'r for my mom, and I lost a certian respect in them. Every 1 has their name intials on their purses plastered, and it's becoming annoying. And I second the every tween carries one, thats why I steer away from Coach an DB, I rather save up for a Lv Speedy, or Gucci Blondie, and be uniq.

My first "designer" bag was a D&B All Weather Leather that I carried in junior high. I loved it :love: I have two D&B bags, one from the "It" collection that my mom gave me as a birthday gift, and another from the Nile Collection. I am on the fence about some of their stuff (don't like the tapestry, heart, star, plaid collections), but I do like the Marchesa, new AWL and Alto collections.

When I first started getting interested in "designer" purses I thought LV ones were way too expensive- I thought they were all at least $1,000.

So, I got an IT bag when they first came out (I think I was like 20 at the time).

I got the medium gym bag in chocolate brown- its cute and not flashy like the pink and purple ones. That said, I only used it like 5 times before I started liking Coach and then realizing that I could get a LV for only a little more than the coach bags I was looking at.

So I'm selling my Dooney on eBay b/c its in perfect condition but just sitting in my closet.

I still have one "duck" bag from years ago that lI ike. Don't really use it though. Had a few more but gave them away a long time ago. I don't like their newer bags. I used to like Coach too. Had a lot of them over the years. Gave them all away. I really don't like their newer stuff either.

I agree with others, it's been played out, too many younger aged girls have them, of course their my junior by 6/7 years, their generation carries coach an D&B, that or the Lv pouch, so I edge away from their generation's bag. Plus their logo bag looks to much like a barbie/candy bag, I just wouldn't pay for something of that look, when I couldl get something more classic.