Don't you hate it when you get asked "Is that real?"

silkstockings

Pin up of the year
Feb 1, 2009
Then if you say what you have is real you get this look of pity. You know the look? The "Awww I'm so sorry that you are dumb enough to pay £4475875 on [insert item]." look. :/

Then if you say what you have is real you get this look of pity. You know the look? The "Awww I'm so sorry that you are dumb enough to pay £4475875 on [insert item]." look. :/

I've never had anyone ask me that with any of my bags. I've had people comment and admire them but I've never gotten a question about authenticity or looks of disapproval. I tend not to carry things with a lot of logos, though, so only fellow bag fiends would know what they cost.

The only time I was asked whether something was "real" involved a Stephen Dweck ring and it was comical. I have an enormous white quartz ring (Photo below. Pardon my shriveled up hands but I spent an hour outside in freezing temperatures with my dog, wearing no gloves and I haven't put on hand lotion yet). Granted, the ring was originally priced at about $1200 (got it at NM on sale for about $7XX) but it's still just overpriced quartz. I fell in love with it at first sight because it was "fun". I never figured that someone could actually think it was a diamond. Wrong! I stopped at a Starbuck's on the way home from an evening out and a woman said, "I just have to ask. That ring is just so beautiful. Is it real?" I smiled, said "real quartz" and joked that if I could afford a real diamond that size, I'd probably buy my own Starbucks store and have it operating near my front door! She did ask where I got it because she would love to get one just like it. She seemed genuinely interested in getting one but I lied, not because I thought she was rude or didn't want her to get one. I saw her engagement ring and my guess is that my quartz ring cost more. I didn't want to break her heart to find out she couldn't afford it so I told her that I couldn't remember where I got it; just that I found it in a little gift shop somewhere.

Attachments

• Dweckquartz.jpg
    Dweckquartz.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 192
Just because someone's engagement ring is small, doesn't mean they are poor/not well off. Maybe they got married young and don't believe in "upgrades" for sentimental reasons.

Anyway, YES I hate this question! On my college campus, there are SO MANY FAKE COACH BAGS (the really bad "Goach" ones), so if I carry anything Coach- even a small wristlet- I inevitably get asked if it is real.

XD I get a few questions on the op art wristlet I have. But more of "where'd you get that, I've never seen it before" with some skepticism that mine is a real Coach item.

Usually it's some lady in line behind me carrying the old sig bags, wanting to know where I got my "strange" Coach bag. :shrugs: I just happen to like the op art more than the sig stuff.

Yes, I hate it! I think it's incredibly rude to ask someone if their bag is real or not, and I get that a lot because I'm young. I'll reply with an annoyed look and say 'of COURSE it's real'..

I don't care for the question, but I do tell them that my bags are real and that I purchased them myself. I think its a dumb question. Even those that wear fakes and know it, aren't going to be likely to admit it.

I get asked a lot if my stuff is real, mainly because of my age (23) and I'm sure sometimes I don't look like I can afford some of the things I have when I'm out and about in sweat pants, haha.
I get insulted because:
a. People are implying that I might be ok with carrying/wearing a fake
b. They're implying that they don't think I could afford it or don't look like I could

Last year I used a Juicy Tote bag for my back pack, and I had a girl in a younger age ask that question:
Her: Is that real?
Me: yup
H: Where'd You get it?
M: I don't know it was a present (bday present from my mom)
H: How much did It cost?
M: How am I supposed to know? It was a present.
H: Stop trying to cover up. Its a fake.

:wtf:
I serriously Just walked away. I really would've liked to beat her over the head. I know for a fact it was real. I know how much it costs, I just didn't want to tell her. She was annoying, and jelous.

I did this to someone at a meeting recently. It was just the first thing that came out of my mouth at 6 a.m. and I felt so stupid. She was carrying what she was pretty sure was a really, really good LV fake or a gorgeous real one. The last thing I expected to see when everyone else (myself included) were carrying dull, giganto business totes. Her brother bought it for her in China and she has no idea if he just got a good deal because of currency or if it is a fake. I just wanted to chat about her bag but /egg on face/ that is never, ever the question to lead with.

I'm just amazed strangers would even ask this. I can't remember the last time I was asked this question by someone I didn't know or if I even have been asked. Definitely a rude question, even if you see someone carrying an obvious fake it is rude to call them out on it especially if you don't know them. Life is too short to get caught up in this petty stuff.

I get asked.. it doesn't really bother me. I'd rather have someone ask than make assumptions, one way or another. I guess I appreciate the honesty, even if it's a little rude :shrugs:

I actually had an acquaintance grab my bag and open it up and say "yes, it's real". Never did she ask, may I see your bag, or how lovely, she just grabbed it and took it to a room with better light announced to her friend that it was authentic. Then she handed it back and said, "love your bag".

OMG, rude rude rude