Don't Leave Your Keys in the Ignition at the Gas Station!

ummm, Seattle girl here but I ALWAYS take my keys out and LOCK my car before any self-serve gas pumping here...and I always look around me on occasion just to be safe. Geez!!

OMG, I did something similar...Last year I was running on E and had to refill so I went to a different gas station than normal. For some odd reason I forgot my keys in the ignition (with the engine on), guess I was tired and not thinking properly...well I left my bag in there also since I usually pay with my CC...The dumbest part was I had clicked the button on my door to lock all the doors. :noggin: omg... once that door closes, I just didnt felt right...so I was desperately looking for my keys and then I'm thinking...HOLY **** I'M LOCKED OUT OF MY CAR (engine was still running) ALL BY MYSELF WITH NO MONEY AND NO CELL PHONE!!! :crybaby:Thank God for 1 800 Collect, hehe, Daddy came to the rescue with his spare. :rochard:

I half-way think about this when I get gas, but I always ignore my inner good sense and leave the keys in the car, along with my beloved handbag. I must change my ways.

^I read another story, I think it was here on TPF too, about a woman that was gassing up RIGHT next to her car with the windows down (car unlocked) and her handbag in the passenger seat. Someone snatched her purse from her car and she didn't even know!

IMHO, it's better to be safe than sorry. Even if I were ALONE at a gas station, I'd still take the keys out of the ignition and lock my car with the windows up. You just never know. It's better than looking back in hindsight and regretting not being more careful.

I'm super careful even though I don't have to even go inside the convenience store to pay for my gas (always use credit card). Even if I'm right next to my car, I'd rather not have to worry about some horrible person trying to steal my bag or my car.

I lock my car whenever I pump gas (even when i'm the dinky area closer to my house) so I ALWAYS have my keys in my hand.

I thought it was just something that was, I don't know, SMART to do!

hmmm this is making me paranoid, i take my keys but leave my purse on the seat (while I pump gas, not when i go inside) better start bringing it to the pump with me.

i leave all my doors locked except my driver's side (my gas goes in on my driver's side), my windows up, and my purse and keys on the passenger seat. i'm only out of the car for a second while i start the pump, though, other than that i sit and wait. i figure it would be easier for someone to steal my purse off my arm while i'm out in the open than it would be to bash in my window during that short period of time.

but leaving your car unattended with the keys in the ignition while you go inside a building? stupid.

I always hold mine too, and I have a habit of locking my doors! I always think if I leave it unlock anyone could run up, open the door and take my purse! I wouldnt be able to do anything about it!