Dont know what to do with my life! Need Advice.

May 7, 2007
I really don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but I'm really good at almost everything.

I'm so good with kids and I was thinking about working with kids. All my mom's friends beg me to babysit their children. I dealt with 2 kids that have autism, and I just had this connection with them, to be able to communicate with them. I would love to work with children with disabilities so that I could make a change in their lives, but don't know what carrier field that could be.

I love business and hope in the future I could have a huge company. I have so much business experience since I was 14. I just feel like I'm wasting so much time and need to start something big. I want to travel the world for business opportunities. But I have to finish college first. So frustrating!

I also have a passion to be a filmmaker. I always made mini movies as a child. I would get all my cousins and friends to make small movies. And they turned out so good. Every time is see a movie I see it as a art. I dont know If I should go to film school. I also love editing movies.

I also love art, and would love to design websites. I designed my own website and it turned out so nice and professional. I used photoshop and dreamweaver and I had no experience with them prior to making my website. I did not read any manual for the programs. I just played around with the program and I grasped the concept so quick.

I was thinking about being a teacher also. Every time we have study groups in college every one wants to study with me because I could teach all of them in a way they can grasp the concept of the material. And it feels so good to teach anybody.

So I leave it all to this. I just don't know what I should focus on to do in the future. What do I pick?

Every single day I keep thinking about this over and over again, its getting so exhausting. Its making me have so much anxiety.

Any advice from my wonderful knowledgeable tpf'rs?

Why don't you start a business designing websites/editing films maybe....and in your spare time you could volunteer to work with autistic children. Then one day when you retire, you can hold classes/teach others all the things you have learned!! Does that cover everything????

Why don't you start a business designing websites/editing films maybe....and in your spare time you could volunteer to work with autistic children. Then one day when you retire, you can hold classes/teach others all the things you have learned!! Does that cover everything????
WOW, that does sound good. Really something to think about.

start a chain of child care centers. that takes care of your knack for working with children and managing a corporation and you will need a website for that so another talent will be put to use.
start making mini movies. start with the childrens genre and you can show them at your daycare centers. (parents can buy the DVDs...)
teaching you can do all your life. just sharing what you know with others on a daily basis is teaching.
theres no reason why you can't be a mogul. look at P Diddy or whatever he calls himself these days. he has his hands in everything...

Become a mentor - join a mentoring organisation in your area and share the wealth of talent. This way, you can coach kids to fulfill all your different areas of talent - you'd be like a mega-grandaddy with heaps of bright young things to be proud of! It's diverse, rewarding, giving other people a chance they may not otherwise have had and you don't need to carry the burden of not ever figuring out which path you should have trodden...

Princey, why are you in such a rush to make this decision right now? You have so many talents and you're young enough that you quite literally could do all of those things and then some. It's great that you are already thinking about this now but maybe you can take the time while you are still in college to experiment a little more until you find what fits.

ooooo i have a budding interest in designing as well but not sure where to start...can you post the website you designed so i can admire it? :nuts:

either way it sounds like your decision is a tough one but a good one, since you're so multi-talented. you should start working on sites part time or do some business internships to really narrow down your focus on what you want to do and/or what you're truly good at.

I can relate to your post. When I was in school, I did well in a number of very different things and couldn't make up my mind. I think you just have to pursue something first, something that interests you, and if it's not what you want or doesn't satisfy you then you can move on to or add one of your many other options.

My personal feeling is if you have an artistic bent, you should try the hardest to nurture it. Out of what you have listed, that dream is the easiest one to lose. If it turns out not to be for you, the other doors will still be wide open at any age. The only real concern with film school would be debt.

I had a film teacher who worked with special needs children for several years before film school, and is teaching film and writing 10 years after. He also cranked out a limited-release feature in between. There's no reason to think you are stuck with one path or need to map it all out now. The best laid plans and all, you know?

I really don't want to sound like I'm bragging, but I'm really good at almost everything.

Honestly dude, if you really believe this, you are already giant leaps ahead of most people.

Nothing is going to ever be THAT hard for you if you keep that with you. Do you realize the #1 reason why, well, ANYONE fails/ gives up/ sucks at *fill in the blank* is because they don't believe that they can, that they are not good enough... etc? You avoided that. And you seem to have all other priorities pretty straight too.

I'm not even going to give you any advice on *what career path to take*. Thats peanuts. YOu'll figure it out.:smile:

Why don't you start your own non- profit agency that helps autistic or other developmentally challenged children. Non- profit doesn't mean that you wouldn't get a salary, you could actually do well with this. Some of the fund raisers you could do would be involving art openings, films etc. That way you could do it all !

Yes. Take the question, fold it carefully and put it in a drawer.

Now resume your life, do things, learn things, that you enjoy. Keep doing that for five years.

Then open the drawer, take out your question, and to your delighted surprise, you will find that time has answered it.

I definitely agree with what everyone has said.

Join clubs that interest you, take an art elective, create a club to help autistic/disabled children... there truly is a plethora of opportunities for you while you're still getting your education. Being in school makes it much easier to get your ideas out there as well due to the student and faculty population.

anything that involves starting a business with the least startup required. i liked the websites option because it's in the same general industry i'm in

believe me, good help REALLY IS so hard to find these days. if you're good and reliable people will be begging you to do their projects lol

if your serious, pm me if you need help finding clients

Last edited: