Dont invest in gold, but in Hermes!

Yes in my Indian culture the husband gives a dowry to the bride's family (in which the bride accepts willingly) in exchange for the bride, imagine if they give a Birkin instead? I told my hubby (whom is Italian) this and he said he should have gotten money for marrying me:sad: i told him he is grounded for one week for that comment:P

Glad we share the same culture my friend [emoji3][emoji3]... Hmmm... Don't worry we have the rest of our lives to make our DH's pay... In B's [emoji23][emoji23]... Your DH is so funny[emoji3]

I treat him just like the kids, he does something wrong and his toys get taken away too ;)

You go girl[emoji122]🏼[emoji122]🏼

Toys??? Ha ha. I am just pulling ur leg. [emoji51][emoji51] U go girl. [emoji3]

You are super funny and incorrigible my friend [emoji3][emoji3]

Glad we share the same culture my friend [emoji3][emoji3]... Hmmm... Don't worry we have the rest of our lives to make our DH's pay... In B's [emoji23][emoji23]... Your DH is so funny[emoji3]

You go girl[emoji122]🏼[emoji122]🏼

Ha ha u know I am harmless. That's just me. [emoji3]

Yes in my Indian culture the husband gives a dowry to the bride's family (in which the bride accepts willingly) in exchange for the bride, imagine if they give a Birkin instead? I told my hubby (whom is Italian) this and he said he should have gotten money for marrying me:sad: i told him he is grounded for one week for that comment:P

Lol i am from indian culture too and my hubby gave me crazy expensive jewelry for the wedding and I kept asking if I could get bags instead...he didn't budge. this article could have been useful back then!

Toys??? Ha ha. I am just pulling ur leg. [emoji51][emoji51] U go girl. [emoji3]

You go girl[emoji122]��[emoji122]��

Ha ha u know I am harmless. That's just me. [emoji3]
Ofcourse you are, and so am I, invite me over and I promise I will only take the red Birkin away from you:P
Ya ya ya! We all know[emoji3]... Or do we ����
. Hahahaha!

Lol i am from indian culture too and my hubby gave me crazy expensive jewelry for the wedding and I kept asking if I could get bags instead...he didn't budge. this article could have been useful back then!
Show him now and see if he can do a retro gift:P

Hello!
Do you think Hermes Birkin is a good investment? For the price of birkin, you may purchase several designer handbags such as chanel and louis vuitton. But, I heard the birkin actually hold its value the best, what do you think?
Thank you!!

I am by no means a financial wiz, but I've been wondering about the luxury bags-as-investment question myself. A Birkin 30 in 1981 (the year of its creation) was about $2000, which would have been about $5500 in today's dollars, adjusted for inflation. Today a Togo Birkin 30 in US dollars is $10900. So your 1981 Birkin (assuming you have kept it in pristine condition) would have increased $5400, a rise of 98%. Nice. You'd have to look into LV and Chanel price changes for an equivalent amount of time.

Investment-wise, you're still probably better off buying stocks though. I looked for an online stock calculator and found one for (as an example) Kimberly-Clark corporation, (a Fortune 500 consumer products stock) traded on the NYSE, where I could just plug in the numbers. If you had taken your hypothetical purse money in 1981 and instead of buying a $2000 bag had bought KMB stock, assuming you'd have reinvested your dividends, today you'd have $167, 964.20. There would be tax implications etc., and you'd have to pick the right investment(s), but that's a lot of Birkins. Lol! However, as they say in the investment world, past performance is no guarantee of future results. :smile:

Last edited:
I am by no means a financial wiz, but I've been wondering about the luxury bags-as-investment question myself. A Birkin 30 in 1981 (the year of its creation) was about $2000, which would have been about $5500 in today's dollars, adjusted for inflation. Today a Togo Birkin 30 in US dollars is $10900. So your 1981 Birkin (assuming you have kept it in pristine condition) would have increased $5400, a rise of 98%. Nice. You'd have to look into LV and Chanel price changes for an equivalent amount of time.

Investment-wise, you're still probably better off buying stocks though. I looked for an online stock calculator and found one for (as an example) Kimberly-Clark corporation, (a Fortune 500 consumer products stock) traded on the NYSE, where I could just plug in the numbers. If you had taken your hypothetical purse money in 1981 and instead of buying a $2000 bag had bought KMB stock, assuming you'd have reinvested your dividends, today you'd have $167, 964.20. There would be tax implications etc., and you'd have to pick the right investment(s), but that's a lot of Birkins. Lol! However, as they say in the investment world, past performance is no guarantee of future results. :smile:
Yep! 100% return in thirty-six years is not actually a good return at all. That said IF you're planning to spend money on a handbag, Birkins and Kellys are certainly better bets to hold value (although Chanel does quite well too).
In no way, ever, would I advise anyone to use handbags as an investment in the sense of creating a profit. There are literally thousands of better places to invest. The whole "Birkins better than gold" article is actually fuzzy math designed to create a great soundbite.
It's basically this: if you're going to have something pricey dangling from your arm, and you might want to liquidate it someday, better a B than this year's it bag.

Yep! 100% return in thirty-six years is not actually a good return at all. That said IF you're planning to spend money on a handbag, Birkins and Kellys are certainly better bets to hold value (although Chanel does quite well too).
In no way, ever, would I advise anyone to use handbags as an investment in the sense of creating a profit. There are literally thousands of better places to invest. The whole "Birkins better than gold" article is actually fuzzy math designed to create a great soundbite.
It's basically this: if you're going to have something pricey dangling from your arm, and you might want to liquidate it someday, better a B than this year's it bag.

well said!

I believe the Birkin (a E-W variation of the HAC) was created in 1984 (?) but thank you for your excellent work, it was very well thought out. We would have all been far better off had we had wisely invested in H stocks when they first appeared on the market )went public) rather than their products. It probably was the 'it' bag of 1984 for several years until it bombed in the mid-90s when mostly ladies of a certain age were carrying them - until Kate Moss started using hers as a baby bag and they increased in popularity again. Lesson, all fashions go in waves, however big or sustained the wave.

Since the 1990s there has been a whole new tidal wave of new would-be Hermes lovers from places that could only dream of such 'decadent' luxuries in their past. More recently, some of the lucky ones have been a in a position they'd only dreamed about. These new customers live in territories accounting for the biggest increase of luxury markets to date, and part of the allure of the H bag is the resale bag. Not only do some from these regions carry H as a badge of their new success but have amassed multiples of the Birkin (hence, many new colours every season and exclusive variations). There is evidence already of a saturated market.

Let us not forget the cost of maintaining a useable (and sellable) bag. Each spa (say one every 2 years) costs 'x' rising approx. 10% a year, as does every temptation when walking through H's doors. Added-up that could be a very expensive 'investment' unless enjoying it as a bag. Lovely, fashionable ladies who use bags in weird and wonderful ways that put strain on points that were not designed for strength will have to pay more over the longterm. Storing bags unused is no guarantee of a higher return either as colours, sizes, leathers etc come and go out fashion.

My take on it is life is too short and space is too scarce to have something you can't love and use. Buy the bag you love best, treat it well (and measure by cost per wear if you have to) but think of it as an investment in style, lifestyle and self-expression first and last. I hope no one ever is in a position where they have to sell their beautiful bag. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I had the chance of buying a B (my podium order, came too late as I got practically the same some months before) and could theoretically have resold it. Didn't do it as I have no connections to people who would have bought it (let alone for a markup), especially with such a bright colour in Europe. So unless you have established connections or are planning on reselling more in the future, buying H for selling is not a wise decision IMO. I don't think you would get much of a markup if you had to sell to a reseller in case you cannot sell it yourself within a reasonable time frame. There are much better investment options even for a relatively low amount of 8K EUR. I'll stick to "only buy it if you love and will use it".