Don't feel safe

shoes4me2

Sep 6, 2011
I just won an auction for a pair of $600 shoes this morning on ebay. I looked up the sellers information and he is a felon. Honestly, I don't know if I want to go through with this transaction. I'm scared of this man. If the shoes are authentic I would be very happy, but what happens if they are not authentic and I want to return them. I'm afraid of this seller, since he has been in prison before. He was arrested just this past June. I really don't know how to proceed. Should I try to cancel the transaction?

I wish we could look up sellers identities before we bid on their items, so we could know if they are felons, liars or cheaters. It is scary that you can look up your buyers or sellers identity once you win an item.

Was this on eBay? What is his feedback as a seller, are there positives?
I didn't know you can find out so much information on a person after the fact, that doesn't seen to make sense though, wouldn't it be better to know this kind of information before you bid?

Was this on eBay? What is his feedback as a seller, are there positives?
I didn't know you can find out so much information on a person after the fact, that doesn't seen to make sense though, wouldn't it be better to know this kind of information before you bid?

Yes, this was on ebay. You cannot know the name of the seller until after you win an auction. Once you win the auction ebay sends you the sellers name and address. I had thought this seller was a woman, since these are womans shoes. This seller has only 2 seller feedback for small items. He has positive feedback as a buyer though.

I'm not sure what you should do at this point, you could ask him to mutually cancel the sale and suggest he offer the bid right below yours a second chance offer? Or you could pay and hope he does the right thing. Did you google his name? is that how you found out he was in prison? what did he do time fir?

You obviously have a major concern here... if you are that uncomfortable, ask to cancel

the transaction....since you know more about him than he knows about you, you have

to do what is best under these circumstances... if you do have a problem and there is

no guarantee that you won't... do what you feel is best.. under normal circumstances,

your bid is a binding agreement, but this is making you feel uncomfortable, perhaps

cancelling the transaction is the best way for you at this time...

I just won an auction for a pair of $600 shoes this morning on ebay. I looked up the sellers information and he is a felon. Honestly, I don't know if I want to go through with this transaction. I'm scared of this man. If the shoes are authentic I would be very happy, but what happens if they are not authentic and I want to return them. I'm afraid of this seller, since he has been in prison before. He was arrested just this past June. I really don't know how to proceed. Should I try to cancel the transaction?

I wish we could look up sellers identities before we bid on their items, so we could know if they are felons, liars or cheaters. It is scary that you can look up your buyers or sellers identity once you win an item.

I don't blame you. I would make up an excuse like" I don't have the money right now" and let it ride.:smile:
You might get an unpaid strike but at least you will be safe.:smile:
You did not pay right?
Happy and safe holidays to you!

I don't blame you. I would make up an excuse like" I don't have the money right now" and let it ride.:smile:
You might get an unpaid strike but at least you will be safe.:smile:
You did not pay right?
Happy and safe holidays to you!

Thank you Limom. I will take your advice and hope for the best. He will probably give me an unpaid strike, but this would be my first one. I just don't want to have to worry about a felon. I hope you have a Happy and safe holiday too!!!:smile:

I'm not sure what you should do at this point, you could ask him to mutually cancel the sale and suggest he offer the bid right below yours a second chance offer? Or you could pay and hope he does the right thing. Did you google his name? is that how you found out he was in prison? what did he do time fir?

Yes, I did google his name and his police record came up. I really don't want to have to worry about dealing with a felon.

You obviously have a major concern here... if you are that uncomfortable, ask to cancel

the transaction....since you know more about him than he knows about you, you have

to do what is best under these circumstances... if you do have a problem and there is

no guarantee that you won't... do what you feel is best.. under normal circumstances,

your bid is a binding agreement, but this is making you feel uncomfortable, perhaps

cancelling the transaction is the best way for you at this time...

Thank you for you advice. I will see if I can just cancel.

btw, when I won a bid I didn't get any information on the seller other than just their name. how can I find the information such as an address? I want to have it in case I need to file a claim (on a handbag I'm waiting to be authenticated...or not! :smile:

btw, when I won a bid I didn't get any information on the seller other than just their name. how can I find the information such as an address? I want to have it in case I need to file a claim (on a handbag I'm waiting to be authenticated...or not! :smile:

I think some sellers only include their name and just what state they live in. They are supposed to include their full name, address and state. Did you receive an email from ebay when you won your item? It should have the sellers name and address. Let me know if I can help in anyway. I hope everything works out for you. I was able to look up his info on google. I just typed in his full name and address. I was so shocked to see his mugshot pop up and learn that he's a felon. :shocked:

I understand how you feel - but - he (so far) has done nothing wrong regarding this eBay transaction and other than commit a crime in the past - for which he has "paid", I wonder if you shouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt as perhaps he is a "reformed character"?

Should you decide to go ahead with this purchase and then find out he is "still bad" then you are covered by eBay and Paypal if you follow the correct guidelines about paying for this item. He already has your address as the buyer so that makes no difference in reducing your (at this stage) unfounded fears.

People do change their ways - if given a chance. Just a thought.

i understand how you feel - but - he (so far) has done nothing wrong regarding this ebay transaction and other than commit a crime in the past - for which he has "paid", i wonder if you shouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt as perhaps he is a "reformed character"?

Should you decide to go ahead with this purchase and then find out he is "still bad" then you are covered by ebay and paypal if you follow the correct guidelines about paying for this item. He already has your address as the buyer so that makes no difference in reducing your (at this stage) unfounded fears.

People do change their ways - if given a chance. Just a thought.

+1