Don't buy this gucci bag from NM - used/damaged

ang2383

O.G.
Dec 1, 2006
i recently purchased the gucci jockey bag in gray guccissima from NM.com and it came to me damaged and used. it's the same exact bag that's pictured in the link below. i urge you ladies not to buy this bag if you see it come back in stock again because it may very well be the same bag that i will be returning. because NM and BG share some of the same merchandise from their warehouse, this bag could end up on BG.com too. be careful ladies!!!

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod95030037

when the bag came, the bag had a strong perfume smell and the inner pocket had white lint all over it. the zipper is also damaged because the metal piece that is on some gucci zippers fell off. it's a gold piece that says gucci and is placed at the end of the zipper on the gucci bags.

when i first opened the bag, i smelled the perfume, but i thought maybe that's how the bag was supposed to smell so i didn't pay any attention to it. then, i saw the white lint and i thought maybe it was from the packaging, but then i saw the zipper metal piece. i had no idea that the metal piece was even part of the zipper at first. it took me a good few minutes to realize it fell off the zipper and it was placed inside the small pocket. because the piece fell off the zipper, the end of the zipper is all sticky from the glue that was holding the metal piece in place. you can hardly zipper the bag. i would be keeping this bag if it wasn't damaged because i paid a good price.

i contacted NM to make a complaint and they are sending me a label for the return. i also asked them to make a note not to resell this bag. however, i am pretty sure this bag has a high chance of being resold because of previous quality control issues. NM has a history of selling damaged or used sale merchandise. this has happened to a few tpf members here and to some of my friends. i am deeply upset that NM of all stores would not have better quality control. it's sad because NM puts a sticker with the name of the person that packaged the bag on the box and this person clearly did not examine the bag when mailing it to me.

the metal piece is on the left and the right is the end of the zipper with the stickiness.

zipper.jpg

the white dots are the lint pieces and at the very bottom is the metal zipper piece.

lint.jpg

the leather isn't messed up or anything, but there's a STRONG perfume/cologne smell =(

bag.jpg

Last edited:
That is terrible. I can't believe the lack of quality control with such a "high end" store. Seems ridiculous. I know that with Neimans, when you buy a Gucci purse in the store, the price tag is on the inside of the inner zip pocket. Loose and not even attached at all. Anyone could use the bag and return it. I'm really surprised that they don't have better security measures or quality control to prevent people from using and returning items. Or even worse, buying, switching with a fake, then returning.

Shame on them.

ang2383: I'm sorry this happened to you! The medium grey jockey is such a beautiful bag! I can't believe NM would dare send any of their customers a damaged used bag - what a lack of customer service. In a way thank goodness for the damaged zipper because you may have just dismissed the perfumed smell - though it should only have leather scent when you open the box if new and unused.

What I don't understand is that the people at NM actually thought people won't return a used damaged bag? Seriously, what were they smoking?

This is appalling and unacceptable! Sorry you had to go through this ordeal. It's a gorgeous bag. :sad: I too fell victim to NM a few years back with a d gold hobo with gold trim. The trim was scratched. CS offered me a 10% discount but ended up returning it; I couldn't see myself paying full retail for a damaged bag.

ang2383: I'm sorry this happened to you! The medium grey jockey is such a beautiful bag! I can't believe NM would dare send any of their customers a damaged used bag - what a lack of customer service. In a way thank goodness for the damaged zipper because you may have just dismissed the perfumed smell - though it should only have leather scent when you open the box if new and unused.

What I don't understand is that the people at NM actually thought people won't return a used damaged bag? Seriously, what were they smoking?

:lol:

Honestly, the cheek of these sellers!

WOW, I can't believe they did that. I really had no idea about NM's quality control issues!!!! Thanks for the head's up and very sorry to hear about your let down:shucks:

I have returned designer bags to Neiman's (unused, of course!), and they don't even look at the bag when they take it back. Their quallity control should be much better than it is.

Were they able to locate another one for you?

Wow! That's pretty bad! I'm pretty sure they'll put it back up for sale once they receive it from you. That's the downside to buying these bags online; hard to know what you're really getting. Have you tried Nordstrom? I know the flagship store in Seattle has it, or at least had it when I was there last.

I know that with Neimans, when you buy a Gucci purse in the store, the price tag is on the inside of the inner zip pocket. Loose and not even attached at all. Anyone could use the bag and return it.

Yep, my tag was loose on the inside of the zipper pocket.

aIn a way thank goodness for the damaged zipper because you may have just dismissed the perfumed smell - though it should only have leather scent when you open the box if new and unused.

yes i would have definitely dismissed this if not for the damaged zipper. =(

Wow, unbelievable! It's such a nice bag too! Too bad. Would CS not offer you a bigger discount on the bag? Such a shame to have to return a rare bag.

no discount. i tried to ask. if i was going to keep the bag maybe i would have pushed for a discount.

CS offered me a 10% discount but ended up returning it; I couldn't see myself paying full retail for a damaged bag.

yea, i can't see myself paying so much for a damaged bag either! i thought about it, but i decided it wasn't worth it.

Were they able to locate another one for you?

i didn't ask. i didn't love love the bag enough. i'm glad i didn't or i think i would be more upset.

Wow! That's pretty bad! I'm pretty sure they'll put it back up for sale once they receive it from you. That's the downside to buying these bags online; hard to know what you're really getting. Have you tried Nordstrom? I know the flagship store in Seattle has it, or at least had it when I was there last.

it's sad. i agree they're going to put it back up for sale too. it's okay, i don't want the bag that badly. i only ordered it because it was a good price and the convenience of pressing a button online. i guess i saved myself money!

Thanks for telling us about the NM problem. I noticed they put 6 gucci bags on sale today, all of them sold out. I suspect they are all returns which are damaged or used.

It is a problem with buying online...you don't see the merchandise. I have bought mainly from Bluefly.com online, and I didn't have a problem at all...all my bags came wrapped in plastic, clean, and perfect...I guess I've been lucky. And if you ask Bluefly.com online CS, they will tell you if the item in your basket was returned or brand new. I've been told a few times honestly by the CS person online, that the bag I was interested in had been returned a few times, so I ended up not buying it. I guess they figure someone will buy it and no point in lying to you.

You should ask next time on the NM.com chat if it's been returned.

It is a problem with buying online...you don't see the merchandise. I have bought mainly from Bluefly.com online, and I didn't have a problem at all...all my bags came wrapped in plastic, clean, and perfect...I guess I've been lucky. And if you ask Bluefly.com online CS, they will tell you if the item in your basket was returned or brand new. I've been told a few times honestly by the CS person online, that the bag I was interested in had been returned a few times, so I ended up not buying it. I guess they figure someone will buy it and no point in lying to you.

You should ask next time on the NM.com chat if it's been returned.

I just contacted Bluefly to find out the status of two bags that I just ordered from them--whether they have been returned before or whether they are brand new. The Bluefly CS rep told me that she had no way of knowing that information b/c they have so much inventory coming in and out of the store and could not tell me whether what I just purchased was "new" or "returned." Do you think I just happened to get a lazy rep or are they changing their ways and not divulging that kind of info? Thanks!

Wow they got a loot of nerve... I would go to the local store return it and expect some compentation... I would also wright the Management of the .Com dept..