Donald J Pliner ...bag?

lilcram

Apr 7, 2008
My GF was given a DJP bag from her aunt. We realize DJP specializes in shoes but has some bags. From doing some research we see they make some higher end bags made in Italy. This bag is made out of patent leather and the logo plate on the inside is not very secure. ALSO, there is a tag inside that says "made in China"....

I wouldn't think DJP has a market for fakes but we are thinking maybe it was a promotional item when you bought shoes?

I know this can be a long shot but if anyone has any DJP info it would be greatly appreciated.

I had a Donald Pliner bag that I kept for about three years. It was an extremely well-made bag in black leather and patent leather. I have since sold it, but I can say that everything on that bag was top notch. I remember buying it at Dillard's.

Thank you for the quick response!

Everything besides the logo plate inside and the "made in China" tag is great about the bag. The overall quality seems to be there but those two aspects are throwing us off.

The interior and plate look just like this! This even has the made in China tag. I guess I just find it strange they would make their bags in China.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DONALD-J-PLINER..._WH_Handbags&hash=item255d67cccd#ht_500wt_918

Alot of bags are made in China. Coach are mostly all made in China. Don't let the Made in China label deter you. Many bags are made in China and finished elsewhere so they can slap the i.e. Made in Italy label on it. Made in China does not mean poor quality.... contrary to what many think.

Look at the quality of the bag not the label. :smile:

Alot of bags are made in China. Coach are mostly all made in China. Don't let the Made in China label deter you. Many bags are made in China and finished elsewhere so they can slap the i.e. Made in Italy label on it. Made in China does not mean poor quality.... contrary to what many think.

Look at the quality of the bag not the label. :smile:

I agree to a fault. Price should reflect difference due to the labor costs, etc. However, very few bags are made in Italy these days! It's more of a perception. The ones that are made by artisans in Italy are quite costly. Upwards of $2k and more. The bag you chose looks like a really nice, functional bag but you must love it regardless of any price!

If it helps at all, I have a very wealthy gf who manufacturers belts and will not spend more than $500 on a bag because she doesn't share the same love we do and she is the one who told me that 98% of all bags are made abroad in different countries and stick a made in Italy label in some if they had a part that was from there. Many of the leathers she uses for her belts come from the Prada manufacturer but her belts are made in the USA. Some of her buckles come from France. Her buckles read: "Made in France" while the rest of the belt was made in the USA.

Again, buy the bag if you love it. I give it a :tup:

I found 2 Donald Pliner bags today, 1 suede, 1 leather. The leather bag is made in China, the suede bag says it is "Made in the Mountains of Italy". I also saw a pair of shoes that said "Made in the Mountains of Italy". (which I didn't buy). The quality of both bags are really nice. I'm not bothered with where they're from, since (as stated) alot of bags are made in China.
At this point, I would have to say "To each his/her own".

I found 2 Donald Pliner bags today, 1 suede, 1 leather. The leather bag is made in China, the suede bag says it is "Made in the Mountains of Italy". I also saw a pair of shoes that said "Made in the Mountains of Italy". (which I didn't buy). The quality of both bags are really nice. I'm not bothered with where they're from, since (as stated) alot of bags are made in China.
At this point, I would have to say "To each his/her own".

Hi - I was just doing some research and came across this post. About a year ago, I purchased a handbag from the Pliner website and when I received it, the magnetic closures would not stay closed even with nothing in the bag. I called DJP customer service to see if I could return it and the gentleman told me (pretty snottily) that the particular style I had was made in China, not their high end line from Italy, so I shouldn't expect the same quality.

He then told me that I could not return it because it was a final sale, even if there was a "defect". Needless to say, I wrote a message to customer service, who then decided that they would definitely take the return.

I have another bag that was made in China that is impeccable quality and supple leather, as well as a coated canvas tote that seems like it will be very durable besides easy care.

Anyway, my two cents on the China vs Italy debate for DJP. =)