dogs that jump.... what to do?

Well, sorry about the kneeing advice! :cry: I didn't mean to HURT a dog but just to put your knee up as they jump. I had only read or heard that somewhere. :blink:

ETS: I would still probably put up my knee if a dog was coming at me... I think it is much less aggressive than maybe trying to protect myself with my hands.

twiggers said:
My little dog (a mini Schnauzer) always jumps on people when they come over...he is just so excited...once you pet him he stops.
We have a mini Schnauzer as well! I adore that dog! He also gets excited (barks a LOT) when anybody comes over but once they pet him, he's quiet again.

It all depends... the problem here is that is is not your dog. And that does make some problems- the best advice I can give you is to talk to the owners. This is in their rules and training of their dog.

My dog at home never barks but gets so excited to see people that he will try to jump up. We pull him back or put him outside to show him that it is wrong. He did go to a very strict obedience school (which was what the breeder told us to do) and they suggested to knee the dog also. My dad hated that idea and took him out of the class... but kneeing the dog to tell him to turn or get down is promoted by some obedience classes. Not saying I agree

Megs said:
but kneeing the dog to tell him to turn or get down is promoted by some obedience classes. Not saying I agree
That's where I heard it! When I had a Pekingese many years ago, the instructor of the obedience school we were in told us that.

My brother and SIL had another Peke -- when he was a puppy, he ran up to their next-door neighbor who KICKED the puppy in the head. Did horrible brain damage to the puppy as well as broke his lower jaw. It was an awful situation. This was a tiny puppy not even 3 pounds and yet the woman was scared to death of dogs and just reacted. She felt absolutely awful about it. The dog lived to 14 though. My brother and SIL moved shortly after that.

The only good answer to this is to talk to the neighbours and get the dogs put on leashes. Dogs should not be able to run around. You don't want to have to deal with that every time you go outside, right?

We have people on the next street over that let their pit bulls run all over the street, I'm not generally afraid of big dogs, I have a Rottweiler living with us, my dad has always had big dogs, etc. (course he trains them really well) but I don't really feel like being confronted with two full grown pit bulls...nor do I want to see them hit by a car. Its irresponsible. Plus I take my little Maya for walks and obviously don't want them running up to her. Geez, maybe I need to say something haha
p.s. I know two people with boxers- both jumpy.

twoharleygal said:
That's where I heard it! When I had a Pekingese many years ago, the instructor of the obedience school we were in told us that.

My brother and SIL had another Peke -- when he was a puppy, he ran up to their next-door neighbor who KICKED the puppy in the head. Did horrible brain damage to the puppy as well as broke his lower jaw. It was an awful situation. This was a tiny puppy not even 3 pounds and yet the woman was scared to death of dogs and just reacted. She felt absolutely awful about it. The dog lived to 14 though. My brother and SIL moved shortly after that.

I would have kicked HER in the head!:rant:

Bella Blonde said:
I would talk to your neighbor first. I know it's uncomfortable, but I think that's the way to handle it. The HOA won't really be able to do much. My lab is a jumper, and we have to keep her leashed when people come over. We're not always successful, but it's on us to make sure she behaves (especially since we obviously didn't train her well!!) Good luck!

I love and respect your honesty!! and responsibility "it's on us to make sure she behaves" I wish they all see it that way! Thanks!
I want a lab or golden retriever too! I'm so jealous!

I also suggest the "turning your back towards it". We always did that with our dogs when we were training them.
I adopted a Lab last year and was thrilled that she didn't jump at all.

Yea, I was hoping I wouldn't have to confront them but I think I will have to. Unfortunately, I hate confrontation especially since people's dogs are like their children, they will just treat me like the crazy ones.

Their dogs are out with their owners when they are out, talking to neighbors, washing their car, or returning from going pee, or a walk.

yea, there are 3 boxers where I live and they all love to jump and use me as their tissue. I think one owner senses my disapproval (the one with muddy feet that ruined my pants and ate my bagel). It was pretty obvious that the dog left prints and a nasty smear mark with her nose! She still gets loose sometimes but usually I notice the owner will pull her closer when I am out at the same time.

The other neighbor's boxer is younger and obviously more hyper! Ahhh! Why aren't they just cute and less like a bull.

I am just greatful they aren't like the lab that bite Vanojr9 each time they see her! Wow! I am lucky for that. I can't believe you continue to go to your friend's house.

Well, I will let you know how it goes. I know it is coward to say but I just hope I don't see the dogs again because I know they will charge me again! And I will have to talk to their daddies then!

Thanks again ladies for your advise!

iliabags said:
Yea, I was hoping I wouldn't have to confront them but I think I will have to. Unfortunately, I hate confrontation especially since people's dogs are like their children, they will just treat me like the crazy ones.

Their dogs are out with their owners when they are out, talking to neighbors, washing their car, or returning from going pee, or a walk.

yea, there are 3 boxers where I live and they all love to jump and use me as their tissue. I think one owner senses my disapproval (the one with muddy feet that ruined my pants and ate my bagel). It was pretty obvious that the dog left prints and a nasty smear mark with her nose! She still gets loose sometimes but usually I notice the owner will pull her closer when I am out at the same time.

The other neighbor's boxer is younger and obviously more hyper! Ahhh! Why aren't they just cute and less like a bull.

I am just greatful they aren't like the lab that bite Vanojr9 each time they see her! Wow! I am lucky for that. I can't believe you continue to go to your friend's house.

Well, I will let you know how it goes. I know it is coward to say but I just hope I don't see the dogs again because I know they will charge me again! And I will have to talk to their daddies then!

Thanks again ladies for your advise!

Run and hide?! JK. But I actually think all dogs should be on a leash unless they are in their own home. I understand that some dogs are very well trained, but with law suits and the way things work these days- the best bet is to keep your dog on a leash. That would make it much easier on you too! :flowers:

I think people who do not control their animals (or children) are really disrespectful of the community around them. I think you have every right to kindly and respectfully address them about their doggies behavior with you - it is unacceptable. The owners are responsible for their dog not jumping on you - not you.

twoharleygal said:
We have a mini Schnauzer as well! I adore that dog! He also gets excited (barks a LOT) when anybody comes over but once they pet him, he's quiet again.

Harley: Mine is exactly the same way!!!! He just needs to be pet and assured that they are "OK" and he's fine almost instantly. BTW I love my mini schnauzer...he's just the best llittle/medium sized dog I've owned! We have a salt & pepper male :heart: ;)

Megs said:
Run and hide?! JK. But I actually think all dogs should be on a leash unless they are in their own home. I understand that some dogs are very well trained, but with law suits and the way things work these days- the best bet is to keep your dog on a leash. That would make it much easier on you too! :flowers:

I agree Megs!!! Plus, it's the law (most cities have this law). Where I live (and in CA, and when I was in Canada) if a dog is running loose in the street/sidewalk, etc. you can call animal control and they will come and pick it up! I personally don't like doing that, unless I feel like I am in danger (e.g. several weeks ago a pitbull was running loose, didn't recognize it, and it tried to charge my little schnauzer -boy was that a scary day!- and I called animal control).
Also...some cities consider dogs like Rottweilers, and Dobermans (I don't know about Boxers) to be "dangerous" and require ALOT more rules for the owners (I don't know if your city is like this and if a boxer is included).

As a dog owner....I would not feel hurt if someone told me my dog was bothering them! Although....as a responsible dog owner, I ALWAYS ask people first if my dog can go to them and warn them that he might jump on them and get them dirty. Most people say 'I don't care' or 'it's OK'.