Dogs attacking each other

natalie78

Did you die?
O.G.
May 6, 2008
Has anyone had their dogs get aggressive with each other and start fighting? I have three dogs and recently, one of them has become increasingly aggressive with another and he attacks for no reason. Last night, they got into a all-out brawl and both of them came out with bloody scratches. I am seriously considering finding a new home for aggressor. On his own, he is a very sweet-natured dog and we really do enjoy having him around.

I am not sure what to do. I would like to keep all three, but I will not have one dog acting as a bully to another. And I will not keep breaking up fights. Is this a phase that juvenile dogs go through (they are both 2)?

Last edited:
Has anyone had their dogs get aggressive with each other and start fighting? I have three dogs and recently, one of them has become increasingly aggressive with another and he attacks for no reason. Last night, they got into a all-out brawl and both of them came out with bloody scratches. I am seriously considering finding a new home for aggressor. On his own, he is a very sweet-natured dog and we really do enjoy having him around.

I am not sure what to do. I would like to keep all three, but I will not have one dog acting as a bully to another. And I will not keep breaking up fights. Is this a phase that juvenile dogs go through (they are both 2)?

Are they male? females? what kind of dogs?
Are any of them spayed or neutered?
Where do they sleep?

Two males and one female. The fighting is occurring between the two males. One is a Newfoundland/Chow (Bear) and the other is a Golden Retriever/? (Koda). Both are neutered. They stay outside during the day and we bring them inside when we get home from work. The sleep on dog beds in the garage. They are large dogs...Bear is about 105 pounds and Koda is about 75 pounds. Koda is the aggressor. Bear is very docile and tries to hide when Koda starts bullying him. Sometimes, Koda will strike out at Bear before Bear can get away from him.

If they have always been friends until now something has changed. Have you made any major changes to their routine? Also you might want to bring Bear in for a check up. Sometimes if an animal is sick in any way the others will turn on him. I had a foster Greyhound that was Epileptic and one of the other dogs would try to attack him right before he had a seizure. For now I would put a muzzle on Coda.

Their behavior began to change when the weather started to change. The colder it gets, the more aggressive Koda becomes. I don't know if the weather has any bearing on dog behavior. Nothing else about their situation has changed.

I am suspecting that it may be a jealousy issue. We got Koda from a home where he was neglected. He was very thin and he was starved for attention. We've only had him since June and he may see Bear as competition for attention. Belle (my female) doesn't have a problem with Koda, but she is not a pushover the way Bear is.

I took Koda to the vet this afternoon since it was time for his 6-month check up anyway. The vet gave him a clean bill of health. I am taking Bear in tomorrow morning to have him checked out.

Well, Bear got an okay from the vet too. Besides the shoulder arthritis he has had since he was a puppy, there is nothing else wrong with him.

When I see Koda getting onto Bear, I say "No" and lead him away by his collar. I separate him from Bear and Belle by taking him into another room or putting him outside. He stays separated until he calms down. When they are in a fight, I step in and grab the first dog collar I can get my hand on to pull them apart.

They were okay last night. When I got home, the three of them were playing and running around in the yard together. I let them in the house and they went to their usual lounging spots. I caught Koda eyeing Bear a couple of times, but he didn't make a move.

golden retrievers aren't normally that aggressive, are they??
I hope you can figure out what's wrong and be able to keep all of them... very sad when pets don't get along :sad:

I don't think Golden Retrievers are particularly aggressive. My mom's just passed on at the ripe old age of 14 and he was the sweetest dog ever. I think a lot of the problems have to do with his treatment with his last owners. He wasn't abused, but he was definitely not fed properly and shows of affection were little to none. I just hate the thought of having to find another home for Koda.

I sent an email to a couple of dog trainers here in town and I am hoping that someone can get back with me soon.

Since it was only his six month check up, blood work wasn't done. That will be done when he goes in for his annual.

Koda is still trying to bully Bear, but they didn't fight last night. My little girl (Belle) heard Koda growl at Bear and she stepped between them with her hair standing up and her teeth out. Koda immediately back down and went to his corner. That made me feel a little better knowing that Belle is protecting Bear. Koda will never stand up to her.

I am new on here and I just came across this thread. My 2 little dogs have had the exact same problem!! I have a Maltese (Daisy very docile and sweet) that is 2 and a Yorkie (Ginger - the aggressor) that is 5, and it is Ginger that had started bullying Daisy.

I don't know what in the world it is, but it is the exact same thing that has happened with me over the past year. It seems when the weather gets cold that is when Ginger starts acting differently toward Daisy and will attack her out of no where, for absolutely no reason.There's never been serious blood, thankfully it's never been too serious, just scratches, but it always scares me and I think it stresses Daisy out. Its so weird because one minute they are friends and playing and the next they could be fighting!

Reading what you wrote, sounded like my exact situation. I have yet to find the perfect remedy, it could still happen at times, but what I have found to work and what has helped them fight less was

1) giving Ginger her space during the day when I'm gone. I'll separate them and I think Ginger, with getting older and everything, would get either annoyed or frustrated with Daisy and just react in that way to get her to go away.
This has helped a lot, because by the time I get home Ginger is well rested, stress-free from being in her small space, and ready to play or walk with Daisy.

2) I'd keep a spray bottle around to spray them just as a shock to snap them out of it if Ginger ever tried to react to Daisy by going after her. I think this may have only worked because Ginger HATES the water bottle.. she will run from it, but she is also a little dog.

3)Anything strong smelling like tea tree oil gets them to snap out of a fight and relax. I think it just shocks them for a second and they calm down.

4)If I ever sense Ginger acting even the tiniest bit aggressive or she seems to be annoyed with Daisy I just separate her and put her in the room. She doesn't ever seem to mind, because I think the space is possibly what she wants.

I have no idea if any of these things could work for you. I've been to vets and trainers.. they are all healthy, and I can't get any answers for why this happens, but all I know is that those things have help me so it could possibly be worth a try? Hope this helps!! I know how frustrating something like this is to go through!! :flowers: :hugs: