dog pregnancy symptoms

Apr 2, 2008
are there any dog pregnancy symptoms? im trying to breed my yorkie but i dont know how to tell if she's pregnant. i've heard various things which have been confusing.

i know ill probably get some responses that i should adopt instead but im breeding my yorkie to keep her pups, which she'll probably have two at most. i'm just trying to keep her legacy with me forever, if possible. if she isnt pregnant, i am planning on getting her spayed to further avoid health risks.

I was trying to save you the stress of dealing with a thread that has a lot of potential to create some very serious backlash about your decision to breed your dog. That's all.
General symptoms of pregnancy with dogs are lethargy, weight gain and cessation of menstrual period. It's generally hard to detect. Most likely your vet will do a radiograph to confirm.

At our hospital, we offer ultrasound at about 30 day's gestation, and radiographs at about 45 days. The gestation period for a dog is about 63 days. These are the most cost-effective and definitive diagnostic tools.

nipple change is the most recognizable sign
however if you gently feel the stomach lower abdomen area you should faintly feel two rigid horn like objects going from the genital area up the side of the bare skin of the tummy. dogs have 2 sides to there uterus and it will swell and be noticable shortly after conception.

drinking a lot more water is also a sign. these are the signs I would use when I was a dog breeder for more than 9 yrs. hope this helps.

You really need to read up on breeding before allowing your dog to get pregnant. If you don't even know the signs of pregnancy you don't even have the basic knowledge you need. If you are set on doing this I would have a vet involved from the start.

My Japanese Chin LILY, recently gave birth to 4 pups, and the symptoms we notcied from here were: breasts/nipples start to grow large, laziness, she lacks JUMPING onto coaches,beds,etc...

My head just went COMPLETELY numb.

You do realize that "Breeding" isn't something that everyone needs to try just once?

"Legacy"?
I can't even stand it.

Do you know that your pet can become very ill?
Do you know that your pet can die?

Have you had the necessary medical testing done? I'd imagine not, since you don't even have a clue as to whether or not she's pregnant.

Since you are posting this VERY important question on a public forum, I'd have to assume that you do NOT have the necessary knowledge to go through with something like this.

FYI - Here's a list of Yorkie's on Petfinder.com right now. 637 of them.
http://www.petfinder.com/search/sea...ed=Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie&preview=1&exact=1

If you do decide to 'breed' your dog, do me a favor - go spend a day at your local shelter first.

In fact, ask which day they perform euthanasia...and go THEN.
It would be good for you to do.

My opinion on starryeyedjenn's idea isn't negative. I know that MANY ANIMILICIOUS TPFERS take breeding very offensively. But she simply wants to have the puppies of her current yorkie and go from there. She doesn't seem interested in adopting ANOTHER yorkie, so I don't see the harm in that. I'm sure there are MANY pet owners who rather have the puppies of their current pet than go adopt, it seems more meaningful to them.

SURE, there are "alot of stray dogs who need homes" but the world can't be perfect.

People also need to realize there are always TWO views on ONE situation and NO SIDE WILL EVER WIN! That's that.

I was a dog breeder for years, I did all the needed pre breeding tests etc, however i have to say that the op came to us for help not to be bashed. lets be considerate and not pass judgement. there is nothing wrong with breeding your animals as long as you have a plan of what is to become of the puppies, I have adopted out 56 puppies to loving wonderful homes and I still know where every one of my puppies are. yes dogs die in the pound, cats etc she did not say she was going to run a puppy mill. good luck to the OP.

I was attempting to show the other side and educate.
I also never suggested that the OP go to a shelter to adopt.
I suggested she go to and spend some time to see the results of what happens when so many people want their dogs legacy to go on.

If ONE single person walks away from reading this thread and does additional research on shelters or breeding their own dog, then I am truly grateful for that.

I was not bashing.