dog owners -- do any of you take yours to daycare?

Yes at my parents! They always joke that they are the doggie day care. My dog loves going back and forth. A colleague of mine sends his dog to day care and the dog loves it.

I wish they had one in HK! My poor pup is going to be crated for 8 hours a day while my SO and I are at work.
I did think of opening one but it's not popular in Hong Kong because most people have maids to take care of their babies.

Chigirl--do you have chihuahuas, live in Chicago, or both? LOL I have chihuahuas myself (or rather, they have me!) and I would love to take them to a doggy day care. However, since they are so tiny, I do not trust someone else to look after them when they are around other dogs. Because of this, my fiancee and I plan our schedules with my parents and sister (I am in college and still live at home with my parents) so that someone is always home with them. Occasionally, they will be left alone in my room for 1-3 hours, but they have stairs that go up to my bed, wee wee pad, water, etc. I have just heard too many horror stories about the tiny dogs (yorkies, etc) getting injured at those types of things to let my fur kids go:sad: However, I make it a point to go to "chihuahua play days" in my area where they can play with other dogs, but I am there to watch. LOL I know I am overprotective but they are my children:smile:

I don't do doggie daycare since I am home a lot during the day, but we do have playdates with the neighbors (well, basically the dogs just go with me next door).

MandM, we left our cats with a petsitter/housesitter while we were on vacation and one of our cats ate a cassette tape (just the inside tape part) while we were gone. Apparently he was vomiting for three days, and she never noticed. It took a week of hospitalization which ultimately resulted in surgery to remove the tape (once they figured out why he was so sick). I will be boarding from now on!

Couturegrl said:
Chigirl--do you have chihuahuas, live in Chicago, or both? LOL I have chihuahuas myself (or rather, they have me!) and I would love to take them to a doggy day care. However, since they are so tiny, I do not trust someone else to look after them when they are around other dogs. Because of this, my fiancee and I plan our schedules with my parents and sister (I am in college and still live at home with my parents) so that someone is always home with them. Occasionally, they will be left alone in my room for 1-3 hours, but they have stairs that go up to my bed, wee wee pad, water, etc. I have just heard too many horror stories about the tiny dogs (yorkies, etc) getting injured at those types of things to let my fur kids go:sad: However, I make it a point to go to "chihuahua play days" in my area where they can play with other dogs, but I am there to watch. LOL I know I am overprotective but they are my children:smile:

I live in Chicago. My dog is an adorable 55 lb. mutt -- german shepherd, boxer, and about 10 other breeds.

As for small dogs, all of the places I have taken my dog to separate the dogs based on size/temperament.

I am home during the day but I still take her at least twice a week because she really seems to demand it. I can't explain but she really needs to interact with other dogs.

We don't take Ruby to doggy daycare. She is anti-social and will probably cry the whole time. On the other hand, my sister takes her lab to day care. It's $40/day. They also come and pick up her dog and will watch him when they are out of town. She likes that service b/c his regular baby sitter just got a full time job.

ETenebris said:
I don't do doggie daycare since I am home a lot during the day, but we do have playdates with the neighbors (well, basically the dogs just go with me next door).

MandM, we left our cats with a petsitter/housesitter while we were on vacation and one of our cats ate a cassette tape (just the inside tape part) while we were gone. Apparently he was vomiting for three days, and she never noticed. It took a week of hospitalization which ultimately resulted in surgery to remove the tape (once they figured out why he was so sick). I will be boarding from now on!

OMG. I'm glad that my kitties made it through the weekend and that I didn't hear your experience until now -- I was already worried, but would have been more so! I've pretty much decided to board our cats from now on. The two that are friends with each other might be able to stay home with a very attentive friend checking on them a couple of times a day. But the loner really needs more supervision -- she didn't eat the whole time we were gone.

Anyway, thanks so much for this wake-up call!

toiletduck said:
I wish they had one in HK! My poor pup is going to be crated for 8 hours a day while my SO and I are at work.
I did think of opening one but it's not popular in Hong Kong because most people have maids to take care of their babies.

It's the same in SG. :cry: The maids take care of the doggies but most of the time, what you see them do is leash the dog up, head over to a spot at the park or below the condominium poolside with other maids with leashed dogs chatting and gossiping while the poor dogs just sit and listen. :noworry:

Itsabagslife said:
It's the same in SG. :cry: The maids take care of the doggies but most of the time, what you see them do is leash the dog up, head over to a spot at the park or below the condominium poolside with other maids with leashed dogs chatting and gossiping while the poor dogs just sit and listen. :noworry:

LOL!!!:roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:

that's SO TRUE!!!

I think my dog in Hong Kong understands Tagalog...

Since my DH works 12 hr days and I go to school from 9-2:00 we take ours to daycare when I go to school. It's about $15 a day and it's at our vet so it makes us feel safe.

toiletduck said:
LOL!!!:roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:

that's SO TRUE!!!

I think my dog in Hong Kong understands Tagalog...

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Ah-HA! So your dog is one of the poolside gang! My maid only takes care of their meals, I'm the one responsible for their walks and baths but I think they understand Bahasa Melayu. :roflmfao:

Chigirl-- LOL that is definitely not a chihuahua! :smile: I love German Shepards...plus, I used to work at a vet's office, and I swear that mixed breeds are the healthiest! Your dog sounds like the perfect candidate for doggie daycare:smile:

does anyone know of any around orange county or the diamond bar area? we have a chihuahua and maltipoo who need either playdates or doggy day care about 3-4 times a week. they do well with each other but i want my dogs to be socialized...they are the sweetest things...just a bit rambuctious(sp?) if anyone would like to have a playdate once a week...id be sooo happy!!