Dog is pooping blood...

KrissieNO.5

Dec 16, 2010
I'm so worried. It all started yesterday. I was at my parents house and my dad does not stop feeding the dogs. She ate a ton of crap (much to my dismay) I told him to stop but he didn't listen. She ate cream cheese, pizza, potato chips, piece of a bagel and who knows what else. After a few hours she pooped in the house. A big poop that was solid but very wet and heavy. It was very big. Then when she went out for her last walk of the night my fiancé said that she had diarrhea and mucous. As the night went on she kept crying and waiting by the door so we kept taking her out and it was diarrhea and blood. She was up all night and we walked her at least 10 times. This morning I took her for a walk and then again in the afternoon and red blood was coming out. I called the emergency vet and they advised us to feed her rice and boiled chicken. We did and she's still pooping blood. She isn't lethargic and has an appetite. When we were eating dinner she was eyeing our prosciutto. She isn't drinking much water (she's not crazy about water to begin with) and panting now. I am going to take her to the vet first thing in the AM and rush her to the ER if things go wrong over night. I'm super nervous right now. I'm actually physically sick over this, she is my baby and to know she is hurt is killing me. I'm truly upset wi my father because he never listens. The dog has a sensitive stomach to begin with and we don't give her table food at our house. She is vaccinated and just had her shots two weeks ago. Any advice would be helpful.

I'm so worried. It all started yesterday. I was at my parents house and my dad does not stop feeding the dogs. She ate a ton of crap (much to my dismay) I told him to stop but he didn't listen. She ate cream cheese, pizza, potato chips, piece of a bagel and who knows what else. After a few hours she pooped in the house. A big poop that was solid but very wet and heavy. It was very big. Then when she went out for her last walk of the night my fiancé said that she had diarrhea and mucous. As the night went on she kept crying and waiting by the door so we kept taking her out and it was diarrhea and blood. She was up all night and we walked her at least 10 times. This morning I took her for a walk and then again in the afternoon and red blood was coming out. I called the emergency vet and they advised us to feed her rice and boiled chicken. We did and she's still pooping blood. She isn't lethargic and has an appetite. When we were eating dinner she was eyeing our prosciutto. She isn't drinking much water (she's not crazy about water to begin with) and panting now. I am going to take her to the vet first thing in the AM and rush her to the ER if things go wrong over night. I'm super nervous right now. I'm actually physically sick over this, she is my baby and to know she is hurt is killing me. I'm truly upset wi my father because he never listens. The dog has a sensitive stomach to begin with and we don't give her table food at our house. She is vaccinated and just had her shots two weeks ago. Any advice would be helpful.

This has happened to my mom's dog before. Her dog also has a very sensitive stomach. Honestly, if the situation has been going on that long and the dog is panting, I wouldn't wait until morning to get to the vet. I would go now.

This has happened to my mom's dog before. Her dog also has a very sensitive stomach. Honestly, if the situation has been going on that long and the dog is panting, I wouldn't wait until morning to get to the vet. I would go now.

What was the outcome with your moms dog?
She just drank some water and I called the emergency vet again. They said to keep water down and watch her and if her behavior changes or she starts vomiting to rush her in. My fiancé just took her for another walk and I'm hoping the poop is better. If this continues and she won't hydrate herself I'm rushing her in. I'm in the middle of a panic attack right now.

I'd go to ER. It could be colitis and they need meds to calm that down... JMO but I wouldn't wait. To me, blood is serious. Good luck and I hope it all goes well.

I'd go to ER. It could be colitis and they need meds to calm that down... JMO but I wouldn't wait. To me, blood is serious. Good luck and I hope it all goes well.

Ditto! At the very least, stop giving her food you know isn't good for her, and probably stop feeding her altogether to give her gut time to rest. If she's not taking in enough water, find a syringe and give it to her by hand. Diarrhea is very dehydrating.

What was the outcome with your moms dog?

She just drank some water and I called the emergency vet again. They said to keep water down and watch her and if her behavior changes or she starts vomiting to rush her in. My fiancé just took her for another walk and I'm hoping the poop is better. If this continues and she won't hydrate herself I'm rushing her in. I'm in the middle of a panic attack right now.

He fully recovered. She took him to the vet after a couple of hours. When I read how long this had gone on, I was worried for you too! They put her dog on fluids and also put him on a special limited ingredient diet.

Just got back from ER and it was colitis. She said it was from the excessive food and stress as well. My fiancé started a new job with extremely long hours and she is very attached to him so it's a mix of the things. Thanks for the advice and the well wishes!

Ditto! At the very least, stop giving her food you know isn't good for her, and probably stop feeding her altogether to give her gut time to rest. If she's not taking in enough water, find a syringe and give it to her by hand. Diarrhea is very dehydrating.

We don't give her any food that isn't good for her but when we go to my parents house or my dad comes to our home he feeds her. He has been warned and he laughs and continues to do it. It's very aggravating. Even when I called him and told him he denied that he gave her "excessive food" that's a whole different issue lol she was given a rehydration shot as well as flagyl. They told us to continue her on the rice and chicken for 7 days.

He fully recovered. She took him to the vet after a couple of hours. When I read how long this had gone on, I was worried for you too! They put her dog on fluids and also put him on a special limited ingredient diet.

I'm glad he did! Thank you for your concern and kindness.

Thanks ladies! Ill keep you posted on her progress!

We don't give her any food that isn't good for her but when we go to my parents house or my dad comes to our home he feeds her. He has been warned and he laughs and continues to do it. It's very aggravating. Even when I called him and told him he denied that he gave her "excessive food" that's a whole different issue lol she was given a rehydration shot as well as flagyl. They told us to continue her on the rice and chicken for 7 days.

Glad your dog is okay! Maybe you should have a serious talk with your dad about what his lack of care caused and show him the vet bill. I have a step father that sounds very similar and he was relieved of all dog duties - including visits - a long time ago bc he couldn't respect the rules/boundaries.... Funny enough (or not) he never would have put his own dog in that position with a feeding frenzy.

Glad your dog is okay! Maybe you should have a serious talk with your dad about what his lack of care caused and show him the vet bill. I have a step father that sounds very similar and he was relieved of all dog duties - including visits - a long time ago bc he couldn't respect the rules/boundaries.... Funny enough (or not) he never would have put his own dog in that position with a feeding frenzy.

Thank you so much! I tried the talk but he doesn't "get it". If the shoe were on the other foot and we watched their dog and he even coughed the wrong way we would never hear the end of it, even if it were coincidental. It has happened before. It annoys me greatly how glib he was tonight when I told him. He even said it was probably something she ate on her walk while my fiancé walked her. I can't believe you have a similar person in your life lol I'm glad you understand the frustration. From now on he is relieved as well. Can't be trusted. I have lost a whole nights sleep and will lose another one tonight bc she has to go every 30 minutes and a days worth of work and important appointments tomorrow. I'm just glad she's somewhat better. Still pooping blood though :/

I'm so glad she is going to be ok! Thanks for updating us.

Thank you so much!!

Hi,
If your dog is dehydrated you can try to give him pedialyte to help with their electrolyte imbalance due to diarrhea. I hope your pup will be okay!:hugs:

I never knew I could give her that. I will get some tomorrow. Right now we are using a syringe with water. Thanks for the tip and the hugs!

Thank you so much!!

I never knew I could give her that. I will get some tomorrow. Right now we are using a syringe with water. Thanks for the tip and the hugs!

Yes, Pedialyte is a good thing to use....I'm so glad to read your baby is better. I was alarmed after reading the thread title and had to stop in. I love animals as much as people...maybe more in some cases. Get well soon little sweetie.