O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
San Diego
I love this happy ending

Lab Who Walked 30 Miles Back Home Adopted

SEDAN, Kan. — Aug 1, 2014, 6:51 PM ET

Share on email
<a title="Comments" class="abcnews_comments label-false">3 Comments

An aging black Labrador retriever who walked 30 miles back to a Kansas family who didn't want her took a private jet to her new home with a Florida heiress.
Once called Ma Kettle but now known as Lady, the slightly grizzled dog has struggled to find a permanent home since she was taken to the Chautauqua County Animal Shelter after her owner died in 2012.
Kelsey Loyd has twice cared for Lady at the shelter. She told KWCH-TV ( http://******/1nZU08v ) that the first family who adopted her returned her because she was rough with their puppy. Then she escaped from the backyard of the Independence woman who had subsequently adopted her, trudging the 30 miles back to the family's home.
Neither the family nor the woman wanted her back, so she was returned to the shelter.
Loyd described Lady as a "super dog, gentle, calm dog" and struggled to understand why no one wanted the friendly lab.
"If I had to pick a dog this would have been the dog I would take," she said.
Lady's life changed when her story was spotted on Facebook by Helen Rich, an heiress to the Wrigley gum company who lives in Florida and has an animal sanctuary there.
Rich sent her assistant, Chet Ragsdale, to southeast Kansas in a private jet to retrieve the retriever. He made the trip to Independence Municipal Airport on Thursday, arriving back in Tampa with Lady late that night.
"She going to think she's gone to heaven," Ragsdale said.

boxermom

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
North Carolina
I hope the dog gets lots of love. Such a sad story. People treat animals like they are casserole dishes--leave them behind, pass them around like they have no feelings.

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
San Diego
I hope the dog gets lots of love. Such a sad story. People treat animals like they are casserole dishes--leave them behind, pass them around like they have no feelings.
Yes. I saw a clip of the Wrigley woman on TV. She seemed very down to earth. She said "I told him (her employee) - go get that dog."
Love it!

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
I posted this story on my Facebook today, It had a photo of that sweet thing in her seat on the private jet!

*schmoo*

O.G.
Jul 27, 2008
Awww, Lady deserved a nice home and I hope she gets spoiled rotten. But the story of her walking 30 miles to that family who rejected her breaks my heart.

Lolapopp

Feb 19, 2014
Commuting home from work on the bus and trying not to weep. Poor sweet thing- walking 30 miles. &#128554; people make me so sad sometimes.

pixiejenna

O.G.
Apr 5, 2009
I saw this story on fb but I didn't see the pic of her with her new owner, I'm glad she's going to be a with a family who will appreciate her.