Does your workplace have a forum?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
?

Does your workplace have a software-based forum (like the software tpf uses)?

1. Yes

2. No

3. I don't know

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Does your workplace have an online internal forum for employees to present, share and cultivate ideas and solutions to company problems?

If so, do you participate? What are the benefits and problems? Overall, how is it working out?

Take the poll. Please comment if you have opinions on this concept.

2. #2 Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    My employer does not have a forum in a format like TPF. A few years ago, it attempted to facilitate employee networking and collaboration by implementing a private enterprise social network Yammer for all internal employees. The marketing team spent a lot of time and energy promoting the site, requiring employees to create their profiles, and encouraging employees to post updates, collaborations, etc. to the site.

It ended up being a flop and was eventually discontinued, likely out of non-adoption and non-use. I don't actually know why but I believe it was due to the great majority of employees being client-facing and client work always comes first.

For me personally, I didn't have time to spend browsing the internal Yammer site or interest to have another internal "admin" thing to do outside of my client work: because it was outside the corporate Intranet, it was another website to visit, another login and password to remember, and another "layout" to learn (e.g. different from usual social media sites and tools). Sufficient communication tools were already available for employees to use (e.g. email, chat, phone, WebEx, shared file drives, team meetings, etc.) so implementing a tool like Yammer seemed like someone was trying to solve a problem that didn't exist.

3. One of my former companies had something like a Craig's list. That was as close as we got to a forum.

I don't really see the point of a social networking forum. You can't grouse about co-workers and any good news is broadcast to the team / department / company already. For me, and I imagine a lot of people, the information I work with are confidential and not shareable with other people in the company, so I just generally keep my mouth shut.

As for discussing issues and possible solutions, it depends on the company and the people. In a place with a ton of politics, people keep things close to their chest so they can get all the credit.