Workplace Does your workplace close down for bad storms? State if emergency?

LVBagLady

O.G.
Jan 19, 2006
I work for a municipality. The place never closes for storms. Other municipalities do close, but not ours. I'm talking about non essential personnel. I'm a secretary.
And I'm talking about bad storms, state of emergency storms. To me this not only shows disregard to the employees but also to the citizens. It's like saying it's not that bad out there, we're open. Come on down.
I remember being in a state of emergency, it was all over the news. They wanted everyone off the roads by a certain time. Administration didn't acknowledge it until an hour or two later. An email was sent saying it was up to the individual employee if they wanted to leave but they had to use their earn time (not an issue) and there had to be someone there to cover the department.

Do you know if the employee manual or HR has a specific policy as to when they should close?

I know some places follow what the universities do. Others use discretion.

We don't really have weather in my city, so if anything happens they're all tripping balls and closing us down. I mean like an inch of snow.

I work for the state.

We close down when there is bad weather, but not before we need to. The office is usually open half the day. Many people are given the option to work from home during bad weather so the office is pretty quiet.

We always do, always have even now when we don't get too many bad storms. We didn't want any of our employees getting injured or killed on the highways.

Did send everyone home on 9/11. We were near Nellis Air force base & didn't know what to expect.

Mine doesn't. The only bad storms we get are snowstorms and I work at a ski resort. If I didn't come in because of a snowstorm I think I'd be laughed at (and fired).

We don't, but I am not really sure if we have ever even been declared in a state of emergency in this area. The worst I've seen is closing the Interstate for a few days. I live in Wyoming so there isn't much that we get here other than snow and we are prepared for that.

ETA That said, I could totally call and say I was staying home and not be punished for it if I felt the roads were too bad to travel.

We don't really have weather in my city, so if anything happens they're all tripping balls and closing us down. I mean like an inch of snow.

I work for the state.

Same here, although I work at a nursing home, so we never close. We haven't had a state of emergency while I've been working here, but my mom is a nurse and has been working here for 20 years. Someone with the National Guard has come to pick her up for work before, and when the state issues a warning, she gets notified that she'll most likely be spending the night.

We do. I work for a safety organization so that works in my favor. Although it has to be pretty bad. One year we had 3 snow days. my boss was flipping out about it. Last year no snow days. That sucked. This year we've had one and another day we opened 2 hours late. I usually wish for ice cuz my boss haaaaaaatttteeessssss ice.

I've never worked anywhere that closed for weather. I've elected not to go in without penalty, but I did work a positoin once where they actually put us up in hotels rather than risk us not coming in .