DOes your hubby or boyfriend let you return exchange their gifts (bags)

LV_addict said:
My husband just gives me money and tells me to go and get something for myself. Unless he is 100% sure of the item I want, he would rather give me $$$, so I can get it myself. I actually like it better this way!!!:lol:

Same scenario for me too. But sometimes it is nice to be surprised...haha.."the grass is always greener on the other side" mentality...:lol:

I've been buying my own gifts for almost 10 years now because DH wants to get what I want. But it's starting to get old. I do ALL the shopping for both sides of our family and put a LOT of thought into his gifts. Would it kill him to hit a few stores and browse for soemthing for his truly?
{hopping down off my soapbox now.}

SwankyMamaof3 said:
I've been buying my own gifts for almost 10 years now because DH wants to get what I want. But it's starting to get old. I do ALL the shopping for both sides of our family and put a LOT of thought into his gifts. Would it kill him to hit a few stores and browse for soemthing for his truly?

Oh my Gosh! I think we are married to the same guy! We spoiled them from the very beginning by saying "Its o.k. I'll take care of it" and now we must face it we've ruined them for life:shame: . I have given up the idea of ever getting the gift I have always wanted and having him be the one who does the deed. :cry:

SwankyMamaof3 said:

Same thing for me as well. I'm a SAHM too and have always done the gift shopping. DH just lets me pick out what I want for a gift and sometimes he'll show me one first and see if I like it. But it is nice to be surprised sometimes ... I would love for him to surprise with a gray Chanel reissue 2.55 in medium:love:

This Christmas my boyfriend bought me two bags he new I liked and let me pick one and took back the other. I don't think it's rude at all to want to exchange something. He should want you to be happy with his gift. If it were me, I couldn't imagine spending a few hundred dollars on a gift and have him dislike it...he better love it!

baglady said:
Kylie Reese: You know, I heard the same thing about it is not cordial to return a gift. I think that rule makes no sense! So if I get a t-shirt as a gift that is a size small and I wear a large, does that mean I should have to lose weight to fit into my gift? The etiquette rule is as old school as Donald *****'s hairstyle.
donald_trump,0.jpg
:lol: :lol:

I'll admit I have gotten gifts that I didn't like. Unfortunately, most of these gifts never accompanied gift receipts so there was no way I could return them. So, what happens? They normally sit in my closet collecting dust and when someone's birthday or Christmas comes around I may re-gift it.

As far as the bag situation, I don't have this problem because I buy all my bags with my own money. Although I think my boyfriend thinks I could have used my money toward other things, he knows he can't talk smack because it's my money, not his.

Kylie Reese, I support your desire to have the option to return it for something you like. I hope he has a change of heart and allows you to return it. To avoid this situation in the near future, is it possible the two of you could go bag shopping together and you can pick out what you want?

Thanks for your input, I have gone bag shopping with him, but he hates waiting for me to pick out something, cuz you all know how it is, you gotta try on dozens of bags before finding " the one" and he has no patience whatsoever for that. So I feel rushed into getting something that I didn't really want, thus the reason I'd like to exchange. For now I'm just stuck with a few bags that I did not really want: the Saint-Jacques Poignées Longues in black, I really wanted a red epi, but he said that black is more professional.. ugh.. so yeah I couldn't argue with him since it was his money and all. Another bag I'm stuck with is the Dior logo flowers, he got me two dior logo flowers bags, one is a saddle and one is the flap. I mean just because I said I liked the dior flowers didn't mean I wanted one for our Anniversary and Christmas. He just has no fashion sense when it comes to bags. The most recent purchase was for valentines day, I got the LV batignolles horizontal. He rushed me to pick it out in the LV store in the Ala Moana mall, Hawaii. I mean for god sakes we were on vacation in Hawaii, What is the damn hurry. So anyways he ripped up the receipt afterward to make sure I wouldn't return it. Oh well until I have money of my own.. I'll just have to stick with the bags he likes.

lol he doesn't have a problem with me doing it because he returns all the clothes i buy him as gifts, too. we're both quite picky. he got me some lingerie for my birthday and i think he was kind of sad that i didn't like it (i don't think lingerie is a very good gift for anything except v-day because it's not for the person that's wearing it, it's for the other person's enjoyment), but it didn't fit either, so it all worked out ok.

With my DH, it isn't a matter of "letting" me do anything. If I don't like it, it goes back. I'm not rude about it but there's no point in keeping something I don't like.

kylieReese said:
:blink: I have to vent, I'm sooo fed up with the fact that my husband buys me handbags, but won't let me return or exchange them. He says when it's a present, it's rude to not keep it. He says if I return or exchange another thing he buys me. He's not going to buy me anything anymore. What he says is simply not true, it's not rude, sometimes you just want the things that you like, and every one has different tastes, so one should be able to choose and exchange as often as one likes. Does anyone else have this problem?? Or am I the only one

I embarrassed to say, my husband refuses to buy me jewelry, clothes, handbags...pretty much anything unless I have specifically picked it out. I am so, so picky about certain things, he realized it was a losing battle. :shame:

My boyfriend isn't very romantic. He never randomly picks up gifts for me.

The advantage to that is when he's forced to go in and buy a present (i.e., Valentine's, birhtday, etc.), he's always heard me talk about the same bag a million times. I'm a heavy hinter before special dates. :biggrin:

Well My Husband likes to get it right the first time, and since we have been together I have never had to return any of his gifts. (plus I would feel bad because he puts so much effort into it )

Anything that's bought and given to me as a present I keep, he has the same taste I do- SO their's been nothing I didn't like

But from a guy's view- HE took the time to go have the balls to buy something, and hope you liked it, his money could of gone to pizza and beer. But that get shut down when you say you want to exchange it, his ego gets blown.

Thanks to everyone who replied:P I guess in the end It IS the thought that counts and I should be glad that his money didn't go to beer or pizza or such.. (thanks paisley lol). In the end I love the fact that he notices when I say something that I like and goes out and puts the effort into buying it, even if I'm stuck with it. I guess I'll just pass it on to my daughter, then it'll be vintage.. hahha:idea:

My husband usually knows what I've been looking at and what I like so I don't run into this problem that often. When it does happen he has no problem with me returning it. He doesn't take offense. If there is somethine else I'd rather have he's fine with it.