Does your dog wear a sweater/shirt when it's cold out?

brainstorm

Sep 7, 2012
It's pretty cold out and our house is drafty (don't get me started... in the middle of a very long remodeling/addition project), and Jack's been a lot more shakey and tail-down (we don't think it's anything else, but he might also have an upset stomach because he's been eating up his rawhide bone rather quickly). We think it's because he's cold!

Anyway, he's never really been one to wear shirts (according to my BF who has had him since he was a pup, almost 11 years ago!) But we're thinking of getting him a sweater. Do you have a doggie who didn't like wearing shirts at first and you were somehow able to help him acclimate?

We're gonna go to a local pet store tomorrow to see what's available. Looking forward to yr feedback!

It's worth a shot. You mentioned you have a remodeling project going on, maybe that's upsetting him/giving him anxiety. Hearing a bunch of strange loud noises and people he's not familiar coming into the house being so noisy along with the changes in the house while the project is going on. Dose he seem more himself on days that no work is being done on your house?

Going off of cherrycookies idea,if you have one not being used try a heated blanket. Obviously only turn it on when you are home. One of the girls at my dad's church who fosters kittens uses heated blankets under the carriers. She get's them when they are tiny balls of fur(bottle babies because they are so new) and they have to be kept warm.

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions! They're great.

I toss a blanket on him whenever he's near me and a little shakey, but he's a Jack Russell Terrier so he's always very VERY alert and gets up all the time so he gets out of the blanket. I used to have a heated blanket, but maybe it could be a wise investment!

The remodeling is totally DIY, so it's sporadic and nothing too intense (that's why it's taking forever!) So I don't believe it's that. We also just got back from a trip where we visited family, so he was with us for 12-hour drives. We do it quite often so I think he's used to it. The cold is just getting to him, I guess.

Here's a photo of him under a blanket! He'll only last a few minutes underneath there until he needs to get up an investigate a sound or to follow us around.

6959140172_df22d048a0.jpg

My dog enjoys wearing clothes when it gets cooler.
When he sees you pulls out a shirt, he will come over for you to put it on him.

In winter, he has to sleep in a fleece or down jacket otherwise he doesnt sleep well; he ends up pacing around and trying to snuggle up right against you for warmth. He generally doesnt like blankets and would rather wear a jacket.

My dog enjoys wearing clothes when it gets cooler.
When he sees you pulls out a shirt, he will come over for you to put it on him.

In winter, he has to sleep in a fleece or down jacket otherwise he doesnt sleep well; he ends up pacing around and trying to snuggle up right against you for warmth. He generally doesnt like blankets and would rather wear a jacket.

Yes, Jack is practically stuck at our sides lately because it's chilly! We're gonna go check out some sweaters for him today... Wish us luck!

Can't wait to see the pics! My puppy gets cold easily so I put clothes on her when we go outside. When we are inside, I just turn on a heating fan for her to lay in front of or give her a blanket.

In addition to pet stores, I've found some at Marshalls/Home Goods if you have one in the area however with Christmas, I found a lot of stores depleted. Just monitor at first because they will often pull on it if they can reach it.

Your pup is so cute! Good luck!