Does your dog dig??

Aug 18, 2008
I'm not talking in the dirt or mud. The terrorist can't be bothered with that, dirt = dirty and she will have none of that. But every day around a certain time, she goes under the bistro table (which is basically her "den" for whatever reason - she loves it under there) and goes nuts digging rapidly. There are only 2 spots under the table that she does this; nowhere else in the house. I'm afraid she's going to shred the carpet. (That's how I got one of my Boston Terrorists - he dug a nice big crater hole in his previous owner's carpet when he was a pup) Why is she doing this? Anxiety? Nerves? Breed specific?

Mine dig holes and trenches in the back yard. It looks like a WWII battleground back there! I think some of it is instinct, some of it is learned behavior.

We are not going to talk about the condition of my backyard!:lol:
Funny thing is....my boxer girl was very prissy! She hated mud. The backyard could be filled with mud, and she would go outside and come back in without a drop of mud on her.:cutesy:
My boxer boy and mastiff girl apparently love the feel of mud between their toes.:nuts:

my dog likes to bury its bones in my mom's flowerbed :lol: very typical dog behavior. And also when my dog feels like throwing up (after eating grass), she digs a hole on the backyard, throws up there and then fills the hole with the dirt and then is like nothing ever happened :biggrin:

My roommate has a car in the backyard that he occasionally likes to work on. Because he's been traveling so much lately, it's just been sitting there. I'm fairly certain there's something dead underneath (yuck) because both my mutts go crazy trying to dig under the front of it. I keep filling it back in because I don't want them finding a gross "toy" under there.

Our dogs version of "digging" would be digging in our comforter before bed time.. "fluffing up her bed.. or pretending to dig and hide.. her toy" She also does this to her own dog bed when she's trying to hide something.. lol. I also caught her doing this under the dining table on our rug... :shrugs:.. quirky dogs.. :lol:

I'm not talking in the dirt or mud. The terrorist can't be bothered with that, dirt = dirty and she will have none of that. But every day around a certain time, she goes under the bistro table (which is basically her "den" for whatever reason - she loves it under there) and goes nuts digging rapidly. There are only 2 spots under the table that she does this; nowhere else in the house. I'm afraid she's going to shred the carpet. (That's how I got one of my Boston Terrorists - he dug a nice big crater hole in his previous owner's carpet when he was a pup) Why is she doing this? Anxiety? Nerves? Breed specific?

This just sounds like it is so funny/cute to watch! Does she have any special bones or toys under there?

I know that when I give Molly something reeeeally special, like a bully stick, she will go to a corner on the couch and start digging, then she puts the bully stick in the "hole", then uses her snoot to cover up the "hole" with "dirt". I think this digging and burying is just an innate behavior.

Do you think there is a smell of some kind that is causing this? Since it's daily I'd say it's not anxiety. Our dogs who are afraid of t-storms will dig, as if trying to find a safe, quiet place. They get some calming meds (ahead of time if we know a bad storm is coming).

Sabo used to dig, but not so much now that he's older. Neighbor's dog is about 7 and he digs everywhere outside! It drives my neighbor crazy because she's a *master gardener* and he messes up her beautiful yard. He's a Springer Spaniel and just loves to dig for no reason.

My lil hound loves to dig. He dug up my drip irrigation system in the back yard. We had to install hard pipe instead. Cost $1800 to repair it. Our Doberman doesn't care about digging.

I'm wondering the same thing as Boxermom. Do you know if there were pets in your apartment before you? If she keeps going to the same spots, and it's indoors, there is likely some smell there.

What happens if those two spots are covered? Will she dig elsewhere, or just give up?

And also when my dog feels like throwing up (after eating grass), she digs a hole on the backyard, throws up there and then fills the hole with the dirt and then is like nothing ever happened :biggrin:

This cracks me up. I love dogs!

Last edited: