Does wearing your Birkin or Kelly with the hardware facing inwards help your handbag become less recognizable?

I notice that too. I did not receive half as much attention when shopping with my Kelly. A Birkin draws in a lot more attention. I have even been asked by someone if I would allow them to touch it! It is still a leather bag, just a leather bag! I am much more impressed with the stitching and craftsmanship overall.

Something similar happened to me as well ages ago, I was at the cash desk, paying for my purchases and the cashier asked me if my bag was a) REAL and b) if she could hold it, because she's never seen one - I was frozen, and didn't know what to reply... but at the end, I let her hold quickly the bag, I mean it doesn't cost me much, it's just a bag at the end of the day... I don't really pay much attention to which side I carry the bag, usually the hardware faces the outside but I pull down the flap if I walk through crowded places

Something similar happened to me as well ages ago, I was at the cash desk, paying for my purchases and the cashier asked me if my bag was a) REAL and b) if she could hold it, because she's never seen one - I was frozen, and didn't know what to reply... but at the end, I let her hold quickly the bag, I mean it doesn't cost me much, it's just a bag at the end of the day... I don't really pay much attention to which side I carry the bag, usually the hardware faces the outside but I pull down the flap if I walk through crowded places

I wonder if you had said it was not real, she would have just left it at that. :whut:

This situation would make me so uncomfortable. The cashier is so rude to ask its authenticity and then asks to hold a stranger’s bag...I would be frozen too. What can we say to politely decline such request? I had experienced something similar, albeit not for birkin, and apparently my reluctance was offensive enough for that person to literally glare and yell “well, thank you! (no thank you).”

Once I noticed a fellow customer looking at my bag and smiling while I was waiting to pay at Bloomingdales.
When she saw that I noticed her, she yelled "is your bag real?" I was frozen too and mumbled "yes." She then told me she had gotten a knock off on Canal Street and it looked "exactly" like mine. :wtf:I just smiled and got out of there to avoid further interaction but she was very pleased.

Years ago, I was in a Coach store at the holidays. The male SA noticed my Garden Party and said, “I love your bag .... it’s Hermes, right?” I said yes, it was, and he said it was a dream of his to own an H bag. I basically handed him my GP so he could get a closer look, and he was thrilled, and very grateful. There were no other customers in the store at the time, and I just thought, Why not? As someone else said, it is just a leather bag, after all (albeit a very nice one!).

To stay OT, I don’t own any Bs, but my Kelly’s usually fly under the radar. The exception is the SAs at Saks, who always seem to notice and compliment them even though they are all vintage.

I live near San Francisco and when I am in the city shopping, I always keep my handbag turned inward for safety. I'm not sue whether it keeps me any safer, but at least I'm not attracting more attention to my bag than necessary. If I'm with my husband, who is 6'2", I wear it facing outward as he discourages most attention due to his size.
Looks like we need to hire a bodyguard when we take our birkins out :biggrin: :biggrin: hermes could make a lot more money by providing that service too! instead of selling us some of useless pricy junks just sign the contract hire bodyguards when buying birkins from them :cool::cool:

• Haha
Reactions: xy9794 and loh
Years ago, I was in a Coach store at the holidays. The male SA noticed my Garden Party and said, “I love your bag .... it’s Hermes, right?” I said yes, it was, and he said it was a dream of his to own an H bag. I basically handed him my GP so he could get a closer look, and he was thrilled, and very grateful. There were no other customers in the store at the time, and I just thought, Why not? As someone else said, it is just a leather bag, after all (albeit a very nice one!).

To stay OT, I don’t own any Bs, but my Kelly’s usually fly under the radar. The exception is the SAs at Saks, who always seem to notice and compliment them even though they are all vintage.

To me, this is a very different, and much nicer, approach by the male SA than the other instances that have been posted. And it sounds like you both handled the situation graciously. I've also been at other non-H boutiques where the SA's have commented/complimented my H bags and I agree it is nice, and doesn't put me off as long as it's just left at that.

I think if I was in a situation where someone asked if 1) it's real, and 2) if they could touch it, I may just deny it's real, let them think what they will, and go about my business. :lol: I'm just that way about my personal space. I'm sure others would handle it differently.

To me, this is a very different, and much nicer, approach by the male SA than the other instances that have been posted. And it sounds like you both handled the situation graciously. I've also been at other non-H boutiques where the SA's have commented/complimented my H bags and I agree it is nice, and doesn't put me off as long as it's just left at that.

I think if I was in a situation where someone asked if 1) it's real, and 2) if they could touch it, I may just deny it's real, let them think what they will, and go about my business. :lol: I'm just that way about my personal space. I'm sure others would handle it differently.

Oh, I totally agree — asking if a bag is real is just rude. I mean, would you go into someone’s house and ask if their artwork was real? Or their jewelry?

I just posted my very different and nicer experience because the thread made me remember it. And because in retrospect, it made me grateful I got a genuine H fan that day and not someone who was rude and catty!

Oh, I totally agree — asking if a bag is real is just rude. I mean, would you go into someone’s house and ask if their artwork was real? Or their jewelry?

I just posted my very different and nicer experience because the thread made me remember it. And because in retrospect, it made me grateful I got a genuine H fan that day and not someone who was rude and catty!
I guess you can always reply; it's real to me. :biggrin:

If I found myself being asked if my Birkin was real (I dont have one yet..still saving!) I would definitely say it was fake.
Once when I was carrying a Bottega bag (since sold to go towards my Hermes!) A lady commented on it and said "thats one of those really expensive woven leather bags isn't it?" I just said "no Its just something I got at TKMaxx I brought it because it looked designer"
I dont think she believed me cos she gave a 'look' as if to say 'yeah-right?!" but I felt more at ease lying than having her price my bag.

I wonder if you had said it was not real, she would have just left it at that. :whut:

Should a similar situation arise again in future, I will do so and report here ahahah :lol::lol: but lately no one seemed to care about my Birkin's (not that I want them to get someone's attention) but I got some lovely compliments last time when I wore my Vert Vertigo and Feu Birkin at Hermes :smile:

Should a similar situation arise again in future, I will do so and report here ahahah :lol::lol: but lately no one seemed to care about my Birkin's (not that I want them to get someone's attention) but I got some lovely compliments last time when I wore my Vert Vertigo and Feu Birkin at Hermes :smile:
Or “faux” Birkin, if anyone should have to ask if it’s real! :lol: