Does this sound like an outrageous price?

loriw

O.G.
Jan 13, 2006
I took in an old piece that was my grandmother's. Its a vintage pendant watch that has an old european diamond in it (about 1/3 carat) that I thought I would have made into a dbty style necklace. Well I finally got the quote and this is what I received:

"For us to make you a custom bezel mounting in 18K rose gold would be about $650 + about $300 for a 16 inch 14K gold chain."

To me that sounds craaaaaaaazy expensive! Am I nuts or are they nuts? Lay it on me gals!

And fyi - this is similar to what the pendant watch looks like except it is blue and has the diamond in the middle.

Attachments

• pendant watch.jpg
    pendant watch.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,153
it's a tad expensive, I would think around 450 for the bezel would be about right... but if this goldsmith does really nice work it could be worth it! some places do some really shoddy bezel work!

I took in an old piece that was my grandmother's. Its a vintage pendant watch that has an old european diamond in it (about 1/3 carat) that I thought I would have made into a dbty style necklace. Well I finally got the quote and this is what I received:

"For us to make you a custom bezel mounting in 18K rose gold would be about $650 + about $300 for a 16 inch 14K gold chain."

To me that sounds craaaaaaaazy expensive! Am I nuts or are they nuts? Lay it on me gals!

And fyi - this is similar to what the pendant watch looks like except it is blue and has the diamond in the middle.
doesnt sound outrageous to me

Not outrageously expensive but it is a tad high. $300 for a chain that's not even 18K is a bit expensive and $650 for workmanship is too much. Recently, I got my craftsman to make a DBTY pendant for a friend and craftsmanship + gold was not even $250. But that's cost, so you'll have to include a markup for retail.

$300 for a 16" chain! maybe if it weighed over 3 grams? That alone should give you a clue of his pricing. I'd get quotes from other places first; maybe he'll price match.

Thanks everyone. Their original quote was closer to $600 total so how it went up to $950 is beyond me. It's not that much gold!! I think I'll look around and get a couple other quotes per your suggestions.

I think the idea of a vintage pendant watch is gorgeous and unique. Why do you want it as a dbty? Also, not only is .33 carats is going to look really small as a pendant but I think you'll either out grow it or get tired of it. The DBTY is just a trend. You might regretting ruining such an unique watch.

i've just gone thru the same exercise thou i was after the stone as well to make dbty necklace. i sold my tiffany one as it was driving me nuts! so i took it to a jeweler before i sold it to see what he can do to make something similar without flipping/turning etc. he verbally 'abused' tiffany for charging $$$ etc etc etc only to give me a RIDICULOUS price for a 0.5 dbty made by him. not only his diamond price was 3 times the one i can get on blueniles etc for the same spec, his work was too expensive! tiffany sounded like a cheap alternative!!! :smile: so i left and will look for another one. but i guess with sites like blueniles , james allen etc where u can design your own jewelery, it is hard to compete for a small jeweler? he needs to buy a diamond and than spend money and time on gold to make it happen by hand one by one.... i am now thinking buying from blueniles. of course in your case as u r thinking of redoing your necklace, u have to go to a jeweler.. so i would shop around. :smile: also the other issue is tiffanys chains r very good, dainty, strong etc. whatever he showed me was rubbish comparing to what i have. i am sure there r other chains, but he only has access to some. :sad:

DBTY is a classic in it's own right. It has been around since the '70s. I have my mother's from that era......that being said, they are very easy to copy and with a small stone you should consider just buying a DBTY and leaving the antique locket as is.....or if you have no attachment to the locket, sell it to fund the necklace.

I just had a jewler make me a DBTY neckace from a pendant and 6 smaller diamonds that were in a pair of earrings. I supplied the diamonds and the chain that was used. I had to pay for the bezels and the labor. Imagine my surprise when it was finished and I was told it was $499.00! I asked why it was so expensive and I was told it is a combination of gold prices and lots of labor. I have had other things done by this same goldsmith ( but prices seemed more reasonable before) and everything is always done well so I guess you pay for good work.
Diane

I just had a jewler make me a DBTY neckace from a pendant and 6 smaller diamonds that were in a pair of earrings. I supplied the diamonds and the chain that was used. I had to pay for the bezels and the labor. Imagine my surprise when it was finished and I was told it was $499.00! I asked why it was so expensive and I was told it is a combination of gold prices and lots of labor. I have had other things done by this same goldsmith ( but prices seemed more reasonable before) and everything is always done well so I guess you pay for good work.
Diane

Not expensive at all! He needs to earn a living too!

So..... I asked around and found another local jeweler and went there on Friday. They couldn't have been nicer and they are making me just what I want for ......... $350! They've done the same necklace many times (they don't use the "mickey mouse ears"), in fact they have a name for (named after one of the employees) and the owner of the store makes the jewelry himself. And instead of having to wait 6-8 weeks, it should be done within a week. So I hope to have pictures by next Friday! Thanks everyone for your advice, can't wait!! I realize the original piece is very unique but its just not me and Iwouldn't wear it (never have). Also - even though it was my grandmother's - she didn't leave it to me. Its a long story (and not very pleasant) but my father and his fourth wife took most of her stuff and sort of threw that piece at me so it doesn't really hold any sentimental value, lol! (it was rather tawdry - out of a bad soap opera!!) So at least this way, I'll have something that I can wear everyday that is special!

Last edited: