Does this price seem reasonable for this piece of jewelry?

lorihmatthews

A taste for the arts
O.G.
Oct 7, 2006
I inherited a necklace that has diamonds from my grandmother's engagement ring and wedding band. The largest stone is about 3/4 carat. I'm unsure what the other 6 stones are in terms of size.

I want to reset the necklace into a scatter type/Tiffany DBTY. I've asked our family jeweler to redo it for me. She explained that the cost of gold is very high right now (I want the necklace in white gold) and the labor is high since every diamond has to be bezel set.

Even though I am supplying all the diamonds and the existing white gold, the jeweler quoted me $1,400 to redo the necklace. Does this seem reasonable?

Reactions: Starvista
18kt gold? I think that's a little high but not uncommon. The price can also be relative to where you are.
The smaller diamonds aren't going to be worth much, the work that goes into setting them would cost more.
But if I were you, I'd shop around for quotes.
It's a very pretty necklace.

18kt gold? I think that's a little high but not uncommon. The price can also be relative to where you are.
The smaller diamonds aren't going to be worth much, the work that goes into setting them would cost more.
But if I were you, I'd shop around for quotes.
It's a very pretty necklace.

Thank you. :smile:

It will be 14K white gold.

I guess it's all the labor that's driving up the cost. But it's an heirloom, so I wanted to use all the diamonds.

Are you supplying the necklace or just the gold to be melted down for a new chain?
I've custom-made a DBTY style with about 6 diamonds in a 18 inch wg necklace a few years ago. The cost was about $400 but I supplied the necklace and the diamonds. My goldsmith just cut & insert each stone into the necklace. I assume that if the gold smith has to make a new chain necklace, then the cost would have to be higher as she would just "buy" the gold a bit less than market cost and resell you the new necklace (gold + labour.)
Best thing is to shop around and get a few quotes. The pendant is very nice, I like the story behind it.

Are you supplying the necklace or just the gold to be melted down for a new chain?
I've custom-made a DBTY style with about 6 diamonds in a 18 inch wg necklace a few years ago. The cost was about $400 but I supplied the necklace and the diamonds. My goldsmith just cut & insert each stone into the necklace. I assume that if the gold smith has to make a new chain necklace, then the cost would have to be higher as she would just "buy" the gold a bit less than market cost and resell you the new necklace (gold + labour.)
Best thing is to shop around and get a few quotes. The pendant is very nice, I like the story behind it.

Thank you. I'm only supplying the gold to be melted down. They will be providing me with a new chain.

My hands are kind of tied because I left the necklace with the jeweler and I live out of state. So I think I'm kind of stuck with their estimate. I know what they will make will be beautiful, because they have done many pieces for my family, but I honestly didn't think the cost would be this high.

I did the same thing like you 2 years ago, i had old designs gold bracelet, brooch and some chains. They all 18k. So, i went to local jeweller to make me a ring and a pin. I provided the diamonds, and all the golds i sold it to him so i just had to pay the difference. Totalled around 800 usd to make a ring and a pin. But, at then end i just pay 200 usd so it was good.
With 14k, i think the jeweller charge you too high unless it is 18k.
And, i remember when i asked my jeweller about DBTY necklace with .20-.25 ct diamonds ( i was thinking it would be my next order) he said that with our motion, the diamonds wont keep still and constantly moving around back and forth and sometimes stucks on our clothes or hair if you have long hair. And since the diamonds in smaller side, it wont show that much either over clothes. Thats why the ad always show DBTY over bare skin. It is a few things that might want to consider before you taking a plunge.
If i were you, i would create solitaire necklace or ring with the biggest diamond and the rest will be for earrings or bracelet.
That being said, DBTY is a classic and if you have Tiffany's close by you can try it on to see how it works. Good luck!

Well, I finally took the plunge and had the necklace made. I kind of felt trapped because I was going with our family jeweler and they had the piece in their possession, so I couldn't take it elsewhere for estimates. The jeweler was concerned about having a large diamond in the middle, saying it will rotate around, but I haven't noticed that to be much of a problem. I think it's really pretty. Here is the finished product:

Well, I finally took the plunge and had the necklace made. I kind of felt trapped because I was going with our family jeweler and they had the piece in their possession, so I couldn't take it elsewhere for estimates. The jeweler was concerned about having a large diamond in the middle, saying it will rotate around, but I haven't noticed that to be much of a problem. I think it's really pretty. Here is the finished product:

It turned out really beautiful! It looks so nice on you.

Reactions: lorihmatthews
It turned out really beautiful! It looks so nice on you.
Absolutely gorgeous, Lori! May you enjoy many years of wearing it with good memories of your grandmother!
Looks terrific, Lori! Love the diamonds on the chain. Can't beat the sentimental memories!
came out beautifully. love how thin the bezel is.

Thanks everyone! There's something so cool about wearing a diamond that's nearing 90 years old! It's very special to me, and I'm really glad I had it made into a necklace that I can wear often.