Does this bag make my butt look big?

timmian

Sep 17, 2009
I've done a little searching, and can't seem to find much of a discussion about the most flattering shape/size of bag. Lord knows I can use help in this area, and I bet I'm not alone. I just purchased a gorgeous Balenciaga Brief, and of course I love it, but wonder a bit about the shape. It's wider at the bottom than it is at the top, and does that make ME look wider at the bottom too?

I'm wondering, fashionistas, what shape do you think is most flattering? :smile:

This is a good thread. No one has offered body shape/handbag size shape yet! If it helps at all, I, too, am a pear shape and as long as the base doesn't exceed 17 inches in width, I'm ok. I am sure you look wonderful with the Bal bag. Perhaps you can display modeling pics?

This is a good thread. No one has offered body shape/handbag size shape yet! If it helps at all, I, too, am a pear shape and as long as the base doesn't exceed 17 inches in width, I'm ok. I am sure you look wonderful with the Bal bag. Perhaps you can display modeling pics?

Well, I'd say it's more like the bag looks good with me!:biggrin:

I've done a little searching, and can't seem to find much of a discussion about the most flattering shape/size of bag. Lord knows I can use help in this area, and I bet I'm not alone. I just purchased a gorgeous Balenciaga Brief, and of course I love it, but wonder a bit about the shape. It's wider at the bottom than it is at the top, and does that make ME look wider at the bottom too?

I'm wondering, fashionistas, what shape do you think is most flattering? :smile:

love it! i totally asked TPFers once if a bag made my butt looked big (i forget which one it was now -- i posted pics) i DEFINITELY think some bags can be very NOT FLATTERING! :smile:

Yep, I think proportion is a huge factor for me when considering a bag. I am a size 8 and am evenly proportioned but tend to get bags on the larger side because I feel they are better suited for me and make me feel smaller--hey whatever works, right?! I would never carry a bag with the words "mini" in the title, lol.

Yep, I think proportion is a huge factor for me when considering a bag. I am a size 8 and am evenly proportioned but tend to get bags on the larger side because I feel they are better suited for me and make me feel smaller--hey whatever works, right?! I would never carry a bag with the words "mini" in the title, lol.

Right! Definitely no mini for me, either. I agree with those of you who say that a big bag makes the "carrier" look a bit smaller, but I'm wondering about SHAPE? Any thoughts about that?

Shape can definitely be a problem for me. And it mainly has to to with the depth of the bag from front to back (at the bottom edge of the bag). If I look in the mirror from the front with the bag over my shoulder (I prefer shoulder bags) and a wide "depth" bag juts out from my butt or thigh area (my widest point) that's a no-no for me. It only adds visual width, which I certainly don't need with my 5'2" frame and full figure. The bag needs to have a rather unstructured bottom that hits me at about the waist or hip and it can't make my arn stick out way away from my body. Even with my arm haging over the bag, my arm has to be rather close to my body.
I bought a beautiful red LV epi noe online once. I hardly ever carried that beauty because, no matter how I adjusted the shoulder strap that big boxy bottom didn't look right next to my body. I finally sold it at a consignment store.