Home & Garden Does the table go with these chairs?

meowmeow

bags & shoes addict + wanderluster
O.G.
Mar 31, 2006
I need opinions on what you ladies & gents think about the table that I'm thinking of purchasing with these chairs that I got. I really like the chairs but is having a hard time finding a round table that would go with them. I know a French style marble top bistro table would go really well with these chairs but the rest of my kitchen has a more modern feel so don't think that would go well...

Anyway, I need to decide by tomorrow at noon if I want the table so I would really appreciate your comments! :smile:

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

Attachments

• image-1318733801.jpg
    image-1318733801.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 241
  • image-3661099631.jpg
    image-3661099631.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 235

CobaltBlu

Butterfly Wrangler
O.G.
Oct 20, 2006
I thikn you could find a better match...have you looked at garden centers? Sometimes they have some nice choices in glass tables.

Here is why I think you may have a problem---the focal point of the chairs is the ribbony construction and the caning effect, complimented with rounded edges. They say Round, Soft, even though they have a little industrial vibe. The focal point of the table is the Sharp repeated angles of the base.

There isnt a meeting place for the two pieces to "mesh" IMHO. You could try to antique the metal of the table, but I just think the four chairs would overpower it and it may not work as a dining unit....Those corners are really highlighted and even thought the table is wonderful, it feels like there would be a disconnect.

You may want to look into buying a glass round and having something made. Maybe a simple pedestal with a minimalist wheel top to rest the glass on....some rivets to match the chairs and matching color/finish. it could be simple and pretty nice looking.
Thats just my opinion, and others may disagree....I love the chairs, I really do.

Sep 13, 2007
I agree with CobaltBlu. I think the black sharp corners of the table's base clash with the soft brown curves of the chairs. There's a visual disconnect as well as a cognitive one. The table says modern industrial. The chairs say antique craftsman.

meowmeow

O.G.
Mar 31, 2006
Thanks CobaltBlu & BigPurseSue! After reading both your posts, I totally understand why I have doubts about the table! I think I will pass on this table and keep looking! Thanks :smile:

gillianna

O.G.
Dec 27, 2005
I think you need to go rustic/country with a wooden table if you want those chairs. Just to mention seats in this type of chair can be very uncomfortable. The table would look good with some simple chairs from Ikea, West Elm that have clean lines. What style do you want? Modern and sleek or rustic and natural. I have seen where one can mix styles but to me glass unless it is with wicker always seems very modern.

meowmeow

O.G.
Mar 31, 2006
Thanks everyone! I guess I will have to keep looking!

How about something like this?

Attachments

• image-3509483780.jpg
    image-3509483780.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 156

V0N1B2

Armchair Supermodel
Authenticator
O.G.
Jul 10, 2009
Have you looked at Pier1? I bought my dining room table base there as I already had the glass top from my "first apartment" dining table 20 years ago.
I really like this one: http://www.pier1.ca/canada/CatalogM...6/ProductName/Simon-X-Table-Base/Default.aspx but I think the style is not in keeping with the chairs. They do however have this base http://www.pier1.ca/canada/CatalogM...2/ProductName/Papasan-Table-Base/Default.aspx which might be a bit more cohesive. I think you could use a larger piece of glass and have it overhang the base at the top.

How many chairs do you have? Two or four?