Does the Disney Vault make anyone as angry as it does me??

Sternchen

O.G.
May 16, 2006
This weekend Dumbo was shown on TV and Julia and Nicole watched it and LOVED it. Nicole already knew Dumbo from the trip that we took to Disneyland Paris last year, but she had not seen the movie.

Since they enjoyed it so much I thought I would get it for them on DVD. It was also a personal favorite of mine as a child. Well...I go to Amazon.de, .com, .co.uk, etc etc etc and can't find it. There are a few private sellers that are offering the DVD (sometimes for outrageous prices!!!) but I am weary of purchasing DVDs from people like that. I don't want to get a fake copy!!

So...I guess Dumbo along with a bunch of my other favorite Disney DVDs are locked up in the Disney Vault, making it nearly impossible for me to get. Does this annoy anyone else?

Yes, it also annoys me! Whats more annoying is that Disney doesn't have a time line of when they are re-releasing their movies, so I'll buy it on ebay and see it in stores a couple months later!

this makes me angry also. I wish they would stop doing this stupid vault and just keep them out selling all the time. I really want to update my collection to blu-ray and am waiting on Snow White to be re-released in September and a few others. I'm so glad that Pixar does not do the vault thing.

Well, from a business point of view, it makes perfect sense. Disney is preserving the exclusivity of their films by temporarily "locking" them in the vault, thus creating a buying frenzy when the videos are released. Frustrating for the consumer? Absolutely. I'm sorry you are having difficulty. Shopping on EBay for these kinds of things doesn't have to be scary if you are careful and do your research.

Thankflly my mom bought almost every disney movie when they were first released for us kids. They were on vhs, but we converted all of them to DVD on the recorder though. They dont have the fancy covering on them but they still work!

I made the big big big mistake of selling my Disney VHSs when we moved to Germany. Had a yard sale and wanted to make some money....little did I know that soon after I would have children!

Yes, it also annoys me! Whats more annoying is that Disney doesn't have a time line of when they are re-releasing their movies, so I'll buy it on ebay and see it in stores a couple months later!

I've heard supposedly that the "vault" is only opened once every 7 years. I wish for the life of me I could remember where or when I heard this. I think it was a few years ago though, so it's probably bogus now....

what's more irritating is that they release a movie, then a couple years later they release it in a gold version or some stupid money making tactic and it's basically the same as the original but maybe has some extras on it. LAME! I think they have 3 different versions of The Little Mermaid!! I always just get it when it's released at Target or Walmart cuz then it's only $15.