Does size really matter?

Bagzzonly

O.G.
Mar 13, 2011
Hi there! Your feedback is greatly appreciated :smile:. I love and favor the casual look and tote-like feel of the B35. However, being almost 5'2" :smile:, I know the 30 suits me more in terms of proportion. That said, I'm trying to decide on a rose lipstick B, but in size 30. The color is gorgeous and to own a pink B is definitely a wish of mine. Would you "sacrifice" the size for color? Thank you... cheers!!

For rose lipstick, absolutely. That said, I'm also your height, and I'm relatively small, but the 30 can sometimes look funny on me - almost too small. I only own 35s, but if I had the opportunity in that color, I'd do it.

I have 35s and 30 (and have had 40) and am slightly taller than you - I am really really loving the 30 size now and not at all certain I would get any more 35s. It holds as much, doesn't bump into things like the wider 35 and I think just looks better proportioned for my height.

But I wouldn't sacrifice one for the other - if you get a colour you like in a size that doesn't work for you, the size will always be an issue, and vice versa, in my opinion. Ideally, you'd want to have both colour and size suit you.

I have 35s and 30 (and have had 40) and am slightly taller than you - I am really really loving the 30 size now and not at all certain I would get any more 35s. It holds as much, doesn't bump into things like the wider 35 and I think just looks better proportioned for my height.

I am 5'2" and have been planning on buying the 35 too. mistikat is there huge weight difference between the 30 and 35 for a similar amount of space?

I have no Hermes close by and the few that I do visit often don't have stock, especially Birkin stock.

I am 5'2" and have been planning on buying the 35 too. mistikat is there huge weight difference between the 30 and 35 for a similar amount of space?

I have no Hermes close by and the few that I do visit often don't have stock, especially Birkin stock.

It depends on the leather - I've had bags in box, clemence, togo, chevre and barenia. My 40 was barenia and it was just too heavy, even empty. It's obviously best if you can try a 35 in person and if it works, that's great. There is also a thread about the weights of various leathers and that may help you make a decision.

i am 5'2" as well and prefer size 30 ALL THE WAY!!!! however, i know this is a matter of personal preference as some friends the same height prefer 35s...

for rose lipstick, such a delicate and feminine color, i can see this transitioning easily into a bag carried out to dinner, etc (not formal events of course), and for that, a size 30 is much more appropriate than a 35.

i am 5'5", i started with a 30, and thought it looked fine..but once i got the 35s, the 30 does look small and ladylike. doesn't feel like a tote as the B was originally intended..but yes the 35s are heavy, and do bang into things..i can carry the 35 now, but i imagine as i grow older, i will want the 30..as the 35 will just be too heavy then..for a rose lipstick, i will pick size 30 or 25!

I personally would take the 30. I'm 5'4" and scrawny.

If you are thin, 30 will not look too small at 5'2"! Hip size matters, not just height.

You need both sizes! Wait for a 35 if you you want to use it mostly during the day, and also live in a climate where you might wear with jackets and coats?

Otherwise take the 30 for day into dinner. It's a great color for that as Carlinha said.

In the end, I think you should take it as RL will be more and more scarce (whether or not grapevine is correct.)

I'm 5'7, US size 2/4, and own a 35 in togo and it is pretty heavy empty but looks nice. I keep my 35 fully strapped tho so I obviously dont need all that space. I have had the opportunity to try the 30 and my next B is def going to be a 30 due to size AND weight! It takes a minute for my eyes to adjust to the size after looking at a 35 on myself for so long, but honestly... it's a better fit and I don't plan on wearing it strapped up (which makes it look a little bigger). But that is my opinion and only yours matters. I also think that color is perfect in a 30! Just go try it on!!! Keep an open mind. You don't HAVE to get it....

GL and can't wait to see your reveal!!!!!

Last edited:
Thank you for your insights, Ladies!

For rose lipstick, absolutely. That said, I'm also your height, and I'm relatively small, but the 30 can sometimes look funny on me - almost too small. I only own 35s, but if I had the opportunity in that color, I'd do it.

Hi CocoB, I think I may have to for RL's sake :smile:.

But I wouldn't sacrifice one for the other - if you get a colour you like in a size that doesn't work for you, the size will always be an issue, and vice versa, in my opinion. Ideally, you'd want to have both colour and size suit you.

Mistikat, It's great to hear that you're loving the 30! I may just have to get used to the 'new' look :biggrin:.

I'm 5'2 when I stand up straight, and I'm equally happy with a 30 or a 35. I don't find the 35 too big.

Madam Bijoux, thanks for confirming both sizes work for us not-so-tall gals :biggrin:.

i am 5'2" as well and prefer size 30 ALL THE WAY!!!! however, i know this is a matter of personal preference as some friends the same height prefer 35s...

for rose lipstick, such a delicate and feminine color, i can see this transitioning easily into a bag carried out to dinner, etc (not formal events of course), and for that, a size 30 is much more appropriate than a 35.

i am 5'5", i started with a 30, and thought it looked fine..but once i got the 35s, the 30 does look small and ladylike. doesn't feel like a tote as the B was originally intended..but yes the 35s are heavy, and do bang into things..i can carry the 35 now, but i imagine as i grow older, i will want the 30..as the 35 will just be too heavy then..for a rose lipstick, i will pick size 30 or 25!

You're definitely right, Carlinha & Chincac! I think this color may work better as a 30.

I personally would take the 30. I'm 5'4" and scrawny.

If you are thin, 30 will not look too small at 5'2"! Hip size matters, not just height.

You need both sizes! Wait for a 35 if you you want to use it mostly during the day, and also live in a climate where you might wear with jackets and coats?

Otherwise take the 30 for day into dinner. It's a great color for that as Carlinha said.

In the end, I think you should take it as RL will be more and more scarce (whether or not grapevine is correct.)

Purselover888, I agree... both sizes are needed and serve different purposes. I think I'll regret, if I passed on it... one of the SAs did say 80% of the RL orders were cancelled, so it's quite limited.

I'm 5'7, US size 2/4, and own a 35 in togo and it is pretty heavy empty but looks nice. I have had the opportunity to try the 30, both with my things in it and loaded... and my next B is def going to be a 30 due to size AND weight! It takes a minute for my eyes to adjust to the size after looking at a 35 on myself for so long, but honestly... it's a better fit. But that is my opinion and only yours matters. I also think that color is perfect in a 30! Just go try it on!!! Keep an open mind. You don't HAVE to get it....

GL and can't wait to see your reveal!!!!!

Thank you, Israeli_Flava! You're so right... it really is a better size for me! Like you said, I'm just used to lugging my 35 around, and when I carry the 30, it's looks different :biggrin:. I will definitely keep you guys posted, and hopefully have a reveal to share next week...

Boy I sure have to ditto this times infinity.

Also I have to laugh to self as I read: I'm 5'2 and a 30 is too small. Why funny -- I'm 5'11 and I am content with my 30 in every way.

I think it's definitely a matter of personal preference as well as lifestyle and clothing style factors. There are ladies your size in the thread about 40 Bs saying how much they love them, and I know several people my height (5'4 and taller) who wouldn't wear anything bigger than a 30. At the end of the day, it's what feels comfortable for you.

Personally I would LOVE a RL B in size 30, because I prefer the 30 size in general, and for my own tastes, a 35 in a colour that bright would feel a little overpowering. But I bet there are girls on here who could and would rock it in a 40. It all depends on what works for you-- but if you're thinking a lot about how you might regret it, I look forward to your reveal. :P