Does size really matter? The new Oversized bags - Love them or leave them?

Do you like the new oversized bags?

• Yes! I can't wait to get mine!

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • No, I'm sticking with mini / micro / small bags

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • No, I like a range of bag sizes but this is too big.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • Maybe. I'm keeping my options open.

Votes: 7 10.1%

• Total voters
Jun 18, 2012
I was very interested in the recent post on TPB showing that super large bags are coming back "in". These bags are even larger than the huge satchels that were in vogue 7 or 8 years ago.

http://www.purseblog.com/fashionweek/big-bag-trend-fall-2017/

While I was never a fan of mini / micro bags because I need more space to carry my "stuff", these new bags seem crazy big and impractical to me. I think they'd be a bear to carry fulllu packed and I don't think the proportions are that flattering.

But, I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks. What do you think of these new macro sized bags? Are you sad to see the emphasis on the mini / micro bags wane? Do you have a firm size preference for your bags or do you tend to change based on the trends? Share your thoughts! :smile:

This was news to me! the Celine looks nice, but in general it would be a no for me. I'm not a fan of tiny bags either. I think it's easy to look silly with very big (and v small) bags if you're not careful, and it all dates too quickly for me :smile:

Just switched to Lumi Supermarket XXL, which is huge. Did it for several reasons; I carry a small cooler with me for my lunch&snacks and it just bugs me to have to carry a handbag and a cooler bag. So, in the Lumi the cooler goes! Also, the weather is all sorts of crazy at the moment, so I have to carry a scarf, gloves and an umbrella. Oh and sunnies as well.
The third reason is that I have to break in the bag. The leather is still a bit too stiff and I want it to soften. Mostly the bag serves travel needs but hey, I paid good money for it and feel like it should get more wear.
Fashion is the last thing on my mind. I do like the way the bag looks and want to carry it for that reason as well. I didn't even know oversized was becoming a hit. :biggrin:

http://cdn.purseblog.com/images/2017/03/Balenciaga-2.jpg
Seeing this trend brings 2 thoughts:

1) "please rob me" sign--wear glaring target, full of goodies. Then fumble along, as wounded animal, trying to carry it.

2) do not queue behind the beast bag--
will cost 30 minutes, as owners confusedly dig through contents. To find tiny debit card or phone. Yet refuse to set down bag, as might get dirty/scratched.

Paired with stiletto heels = hilarious moments:popcorn:

I like super large bags for putting my laundry in, if I have to visit IKEA etc. They are also great to carry hay in for your horse if you have one. But as a handbag, not really. If I need to carry that much of personal things I'd use a suitcase and some mode of transportation.
This was discussed a bit on the Balenciaga forum and it just confirms my suspicion that fashion designers sometimes just like to have a little laugh at the expense of their buyers. Or there was an unexpected surplus of leather.

It's not even on wheels. But I think it sort of illustrates what remainsilly described above.
bal17.jpg
(Picture taken from balenciaga.com )

Last edited:
I like super large bags for putting my laundry in, if I have to visit IKEA etc. They are also great to carry hay in for your horse if you have one. But as a handbag, not really. If I need to carry that much of personal things I'd use a suitcase and some mode of transportation.
This was discussed a bit on the Balenciaga forum and it just confirms my suspicion that fashion designers sometimes just like to have a little laugh at the expense of their buyers. Or there was an unexpected surplus of leather.

It's not even on wheels. But I think it sort of illustrates what remainsilly described above.
View attachment 3633592
:biggrin:

I think they look ridiculous. The bandwagon-jumping also annoys me (in this instance as well as others). These designers are selling VERY expensive bags. Call me grumpy, but I think they should stick to their tried-and-true, or come up with their own ideas.
I completely agree. I don't want to look like everyone else. I'd like differentiation across brands.

But they are following the money. And if a trend works they pursue money over art and innovation. I guess I can't blame them since these are profit seeking businesses. But I can be a little disappointed.

Reactions: serenityneow
I do hope that women talk with their "wallets" and leave these behemoths behind. On the one hand you have these gargantuan bags that are way too big and then you have Coach's latest offerings that are so tiny that you need to carry more than one mini bag at a time to merely fit your things in.
Note to vendors........women aren't stupid!