does she need to contact seller - re: package did not arrive

bag-princess

Spoiled Princess
O.G.
Jun 17, 2007
i know that is the holiday season so it may just be slow coming as i told her but my sister is concerned. the order info shows her wallet was supposed to arrive by yesterday - she said she checked the mail today and it still has not come. she is concerened because she is going out of town and was not worried since it was showing a delivery before she left. should she contact the seller and advise her of this? the "tracking" of course is no help - it has not update since the 16th! she can't sit around and wait for it and there will be no one to check her box for her when she leaves.

TIA

hi!

yes it is USPS and i told her it will not update like she is used to with UPS but she is concerned since it lasts shows activity on the 16th. she is giving it a couple more days - ebay says she can't file INR until the 22nd anyway so she has to wait.

i will tell her to try and get someone at the local PO.

thanks!!

I shipped something last Monday, the 12th and it did not arrive til yesterday. Other items sent the same day arrived at their destinations last Wednesday and Thursday. USPS did not update til it was delivered.

oh yea carlpsmom - i told her some things i have shipped to me still show it on the way when you check the USPS site even after i got them! and others never update. i think she is stressing because she won't be home when i may show up!

is this item coming with insurance & signature confirmation? if so, the package should be with

the po if it hasn't arrrived by the timeyour sister is leaving... perhaps it also may come

today or tomorrow... would also call the po for an update

hotshot -

no signature is required. just delivery confirmation and it was sent priority mail from Pa - she is here in Ms,too.

oh and she did call the local PO - she just emailed to say they told her the same thing that she is seeing on the site when she checks and that is the last update was the 16th when it was in Pa. and they feel it will arrive in a couple of days.

From the sound of it, there is absolutely no need for your sister to file item not received. The tracking shows it has been posted and it is in transit, so the seller has done exactly what they needed to do by all probability. If you stand in the seller's shoes, having someone open an "item not received" case on you due to postal delays in the holiday season might feel pretty terrible. Sure you can open one fast, but there is no need to do it until much later.

I hope your sister gets her wallet soon and it's just what she wants.

I've only had good experiences shipping priority USPS, and a quick updates online the only time it hasn't updated daily was when I mailed something overseas and it was in customs. If it hasn't showed any updates since the 16th it makes me think it's stuck somewhere. If she's concerned about it she could always call USPS and they can verify the packages whereabouts. IMO filing a INR is a bit pre mature at the moment priority mail takes 2-3 days and right now is one of the busiest times of the year for them. She should call USPS and inquire as to why she hasn't received her item yet since it was shipped priority and she didn't receive it with in the priority timeline. Also if she's going away for a few days she should also either online or in person at her local PO put a hold on her mail.

priority is supposed to be 2-3 days.. we all know that the mail is really much slower than

it should be... perhaps your sister should go to the PO a couple of days before she plans

to leave & ask the PO to hold her mail til she returns... if the item hasn't arrived by then

& she is not able to get any info, then perhaps file an INR... but this package is still

in transit....

I had a package go from California to Florida in two days a few days ago. Before that, another package took 4 or 5 days. They were both the same size box, same postage, USPS. You just never know. USPS often doesn't update their system. Sometimes the buyer will receive the package before the system shows that it is out for delivery.
She should ask the post office to hold her mail.

Since it hasn't showed as delivered, I wouldn't worry about it yet. This is a slow time of year with the high volume of packages being sent!

She should go to the post office and have them hold her mail until she returns. I'm not sure if you could do this online?

USPS doesn't update or adjust its estimated delivery times to account for holiday rush time when shipping is slower. Items that normally take 2-3 days might take a week or more. The only service that is guaranteed as far as delivery is express mail. Priority and first class delivery times are just ESTIMATES.

I think your sister is worrying needlessly and prematurely.

If the time comes that she'll be away, she should either let her mailman know so he'll hold her mail or she can put a vacation hold on it through the post office.

As for "tracking" not updating since the 16th, that's not unusual. "Tracking" is a misnomer because packages with d.c. generally don't track. They show the date the label was printed, then often, there's nothing else until it's scanned on delivery.

And even when delivered, it won't show on the USPS website until the carrier returns to his post office location and downloads the scans to the computer. That's why you may get your package in the morning but d.c. won't show on the website until 3 pm.