Does she deserve a designer bag?

I imagine the older sister isn't upset about the fact that her sister wanted a Vera Bradley instead of a Versace. That's just petty. I'd imagine older sister is upset because her younger sister asked HER for the purse, and then turned around and decided to have her boyfriend get it instead, after older sister already told her she was going to get it for her. So older sister goes to the trouble of getting her friend to shop for it, and older sister is excited about being able to give her younger sister a gift she'll love and remember forever, and then all of that is taken away when younger sister decides she wants her boyfriend to get it instead. It does seem a bit thoughtless on younger sister's part.

i agree with you....i think the older sister is being upset because after her sister asked her for the gift (be it vera bradley or versace), she turned around and asked her bf to get it for her and then ask for cash from her sister...i wouldn't be surprised if the older sister feel hurt or feel that she is not as important to her sister as she'd like to believe

a little harsh. but hey, its family. she prob feels put off b/c she'd rather give it to her sis than some fly by night bf. its suppposed to be special, obviously! the sister is saying 'you only turn 16 once', so maybe she wanteed to be the one to make it special!

I think your friend just got annoyed at her little sister. That happens with sisters! I'm sure once your friend gets over it (probably in a day or 2), she will realize her lil sis who's turning 16 deserves something fantastic for her bday. I doubt your friend will just hand her $50. She probably said that out of annoyance not because she honestly didn't think her lil sis didn't derserve a great gift.