Does quality in knockoffs even matter to those who buy fakes?

bumblebees

O.G.
Dec 21, 2007
I don't get why people would want to buy knockoffs in the first place. I don't buy fakes I'm just curious about why some people buy really bad fakes when there are some 'better' ones. I AM NOT condoning fakes EVER I just wonder why bc I was at a bar last night and I noticed this girl with this tan medium sized Goach purse. I was in shock :wtf: in the whole crowded bar she and her Goach just stuck out its funny how my eyes just zoomed immediately to her like it knew before my brain did lol.

I mean to carry a knockoff coach that looks like a mirror image of the real thing is a diff. situation some people might not know its fake I have a co-worker who bought a fake coach for $50 and it looks real I couldn't tell but then I don't buy coach so I'm not an expert anyways but I can tell on some of them its so freakin obvious but if you were going to buy a fake wouldn't you buy the 'best quality' fake you know the ones that look exactly like it and have people guessing? The Goach bags with the G print are a DEAD giveaway. I don't know whats tackier walking around with a Goach or walking around with a mirror image coach with FAKE painted on it?

I just wanted to walk up to her and say "Hi, may I ask why you decided to purchase a Goach rather than just a mirror image knockoff?" Seriously, would price be that much of a factor? They're fake! I know she didn't buy it bc it was so cute and unique I'm pretty sure she knows that its copying Coach. Anyways, I think her bf would've prob. punched me in the face or something lol.

Anyways, this is just my puzzling rant :confused1: I just don't get it and I don't think I ever will :hrmm:

I don't know her thinking behind it, but her "Goach" is not a trademark infringement. You can call it a fake, but under current laws, her bag is not a counterfeit because it is not attempting to be a Coach. Whereas if she was carrying the "Cs," then that would be a counterfeit. So I would rather see these designer inspired bags.

That's true but its like getting off on a technicality. Honestly, even if its better since it hasn't infringed on trademarks I still don't want to see them. Every time I see them I know what its trying to do and I know they know that just changing the G to a C lets them get away with it which is even more sneaky and worse but hey what can you do :hrmm:

Yeah I just would love to know people's motive. I think its that forensics (what I studied in school along with my B.S. in J.S.S.I) in me that makes me want to know and figure it out so badly!

I don't get people who willingly buy fakes either. Did you happen to see last week PBS documentary of "illicit"? :wtf::wtf::wtf: An eye opener!

These fake purse buyers are not just supporting their own "shallowness" in disregarding the real designer goods but is internationally supporting an illegal trade & many other dark smuggling items (from weapons to drugs) that usually come in the same container shipment these fake purse are in... not to mentioned the "illegal slave labor" behind it all.

Oh and the environmental aspects... think on the poisons used to make these purse without ANY "regulations" (would anyone feel good if their "fake" purse strap was accidentally gnawed on by an innocent baby & the baby developed brain problems from it at a later year due to the lead paints found in the color used for that purse?).

Really... many of these "fake purse" buyers should just quit being "innocent & ignorant sheeps" to be led by the nose of these mobsters & should just quit letting these mobsters "milk" them of their hard earned money (like taking candy from a baby)... for the sake of a "sale" (why I buy my name brand goods in person & my sales beat any sales off the net for my purses).

One should also hold their ego & head high than to resort to buying "fakes"... because it is better NOT to own anything "designer" if you cannot afford them than to buy a "fake" trying to pass off for a real (really only fooling themselves)!

Buying fake purse also = to paupering your pockets and making those behind the trade rich from your money (with them laughing at your foolishness at "buying into their scams" all the way to the bank)!

I don't think the G is worse or sneakier. Let's consider two rational women who are both aware of Coach (because there are women who are not and just buy these Goach bags from the mall carts because they like the look). Both of these women want a Coach-looking bag but cannot afford one or do not want to pay that much for a purse. Woman A buys the Goach knowing full well that no one will think it's a Coach. She's buying it because she likes the design. Woman B buys a mirror image, at least partially motivated with the hope that others will think it's real. I think Woman A is far more honest.

Based on what I remember from intellectual property classes, trademarks were allowed to designers because specific designs would be difficult to police. It is hard to make the call on just how close two designs have to be before one is infringing upon the other. Your frustration seems to be with the manufacturers and consumers of these Goach bags, but since they're behaving within the confines of the law, your beef should really be with the legislators.

Funny I should read this thread today, because I was just talking on the phone to my oldest sister, who said "I thought of you today when I went to my neighborhood yard sale and this woman was selling fake Coach bags, but they looked exactly like the real thing, and I bought a fake Coach wristlet for $5"....
Oooooo-kaaaay... I asked he "why did you think of me???"
She said "because you are such a purse fanatic".
Huhhh....
OK, I don't buy Coach let alone fake Coach. But I have no problem at all with Coach, in fact they have some nice styles these days; it's just not my thing. But really, I thought it was ironic that I just got off the phone with her and then I read this thread.
I am still not too sure why she thought of me during that purchase...

Any-who, I do not condone the purchase of fake or counterfeit handbags, yet I try not to judge those who are OK with it and purchase/wear them.
Overall, I believe it's best not to judge people, just do what YOU think is right.

I don't think the G is worse or sneakier. Let's consider two rational women who are both aware of Coach (because there are women who are not and just buy these Goach bags from the mall carts because they like the look). Both of these women want a Coach-looking bag but cannot afford one or do not want to pay that much for a purse. Woman A buys the Goach knowing full well that no one will think it's a Coach. She's buying it because she likes the design. Woman B buys a mirror image, at least partially motivated with the hope that others will think it's real. I think Woman A is far more honest.

Based on what I remember from intellectual property classes, trademarks were allowed to designers because specific designs would be difficult to police. It is hard to make the call on just how close two designs have to be before one is infringing upon the other. Your frustration seems to be with the manufacturers and consumers of these Goach bags, but since they're behaving within the confines of the law, your beef should really be with the legislators.

I'm not frustrated at anyone there's always going to be fakes and people buying fakes that's just how it is its not my business I was just curious what her reasoning was. I thought too maybe she did like the design but I'm pretty sure she knew what it was trying to be like so why not get the thing closer to it? :confused1: Idk I was just kind of ranting about it and now I don't know what this is about anymore. I think some people read things diff.

I don't get people who willingly buy fakes either. Did you happen to see last week PBS documentary of "illicit"? :wtf::wtf::wtf: An eye opener!

These fake purse buyers are not just supporting their own "shallowness" in disregarding the real designer goods but is internationally supporting an illegal trade & many other dark smuggling items (from weapons to drugs) that usually come in the same container shipment these fake purse are in... not to mentioned the "illegal slave labor" behind it all.

Oh and the environmental aspects... think on the poisons used to make these purse without ANY "regulations" (would anyone feel good if their "fake" purse strap was accidentally gnawed on by an innocent baby & the baby developed brain problems from it at a later year due to the lead paints found in the color used for that purse?).

Really... many of these "fake purse" buyers should just quit being "innocent & ignorant sheeps" to be led by the nose of these mobsters & should just quit letting these mobsters "milk" them of their hard earned money (like taking candy from a baby)... for the sake of a "sale" (why I buy my name brand goods in person & my sales beat any sales off the net for my purses).

One should also hold their ego & head high than to resort to buying "fakes"... because it is better NOT to own anything "designer" if you cannot afford them than to buy a "fake" trying to pass off for a real (really only fooling themselves)!

Buying fake purse also = to paupering your pockets and making those behind the trade rich from your money (with them laughing at your foolishness at "buying into their scams" all the way to the bank)!

I didn't see this doc. but it is true if some people saw what/how purses are made and saw the whole behind the scenes I think it will open there eyes and def. make them think twice.

Sometimes I get rather passive about the issue, like "live and let live", but today I really feel like saying to all the women out there who think they are fooling anybody by using the many lame excuses out there to actually carry one in public, that (1) you are fooling no one, and (2) if you can't afford it, don't buy it. Being a wannabee is so sad. This is all aside from the fact that it is illegal and supports terrorism. I have no use for fakes and not one woman who carries one can convince me that she really "just likes the color or shape, or style", or whatever. She is just a wannabee.

P.S. This doesn't count for inspired bags, of course.

This reminds me of when I was at the Milipitas "Great Mall" one time, there was a fake purse cart in the middle of the mall and the guy was selling Kate SPATE handbags. Makes me laugh. I mean, wouldn't you rather carry a non-descript, cutely designed bag rather than have the public laughing at your Kate Spate bag?

Coming back to this thread, I agree with Compass Rose: I personally feel if I can't afford a certain bag (which there are ALOT of them I can't afford), I will find another designer that I am happy with. I do not have any use for fakes. To me, they look rediculous and I would never use/purchase one. I don't really care what others do, but for me, it's a no-no. I am not trying to pretend I am something that I am not or can afford something that I can't, only to look/feel stupid in the meantime! I prefer to look for sales, or stick with more middle of the road designers.
(My current passion is Linea Pelle!)

I'm not frustrated at anyone there's always going to be fakes and people buying fakes that's just how it is its not my business I was just curious what her reasoning was. I thought too maybe she did like the design but I'm pretty sure she knew what it was trying to be like so why not get the thing closer to it? :confused1: Idk I was just kind of ranting about it and now I don't know what this is about anymore. I think some people read things diff.

You ranted, therefore, I read frustration. If you were merely curious, I think a rant would be a little strong, no? You asked for a reason, I gave you two: (1) she might not know it's a design off of Coach because she doesn't care that much about bags (2) she is not violating any laws.

I agree :yes:

I also think that there are plenty of women who buy authentic bags JUST for the name, regardless of the quality or style. It's the same thing as the people who buy replicas, really-- they want to impress people and convey an image of status and wealth. It's just that some can afford the real thing while others can't... I don't think people who buy ridiculously expensive bags just to impress people are any less pathetic than people who buy the replicas. Both types of people are fakers, just in different ways. Just my 2 cents...