Does other styles worth less than Birkin or Kelly

fatcat2523

Addicted to H
O.G.
Dec 5, 2009
Hi everyone,
With my reveals, I love buying my mom items. Since I love and appreciate all handbags (but I can't use most of it as I'm a guy) so she is getting the benefit lol. My mom has several B and K but she also love other styles. So her collection has Lindy, Constance, Evelyne, Victoria, GP and Pico. With my recent gifts to her a GP30 which she always wanted. She was so happy as her collection doesn't have the size. However her friend (who only use B) commented why did she buy such a less value bag. Her friend said only B or K are worth buying with H. My mom was unhappy toward her comment. She felt being "look down" just because her bag aren't worth as much as B. My mom and I love H or other brands bag especially the under radar styles. So what's wrong for getting other styles?

Constance can be at the same price as a B or K. I personally, though it is an unpopular opinion here, shy away from B or K because of efficiency issues. I find it a hassle to close them and I don't want to leave my bag open. So I use styles that are easy to open and close and practical to use such as Constance, Toolbox, and Evelyne. Also, exotic skins can be higher in price in other styles compared to normal skins in B or K.

Last edited:
The most important thing IMHO is your mom enjoys the bag whether it's a B or K or whatever it is. You bought it for her and not for somebody else. :smile: There is nothing wrong with other styles so tell your mom not to get affected by the comment. To each his own. Those other styles are someone else's holy grail bag. Also, I do think under the radar can be classy. ;)

Have heard this comment.
And personally feel modern h is overpriced for its quality--the name costs.
Probably why "investors" only buy hot-seller bags.

However, I dislike birkins & kellys.
Plus most of h items, with that funky double strap closure.
So buy "the other" h items. The unrecognized cur & scoundrel items. The non-birkins. :wtf:

Somehow, I manage to survive.
Without freaks following me, asking, "Omg, can I touch your birkin?" And making Kardashian comments.:rolleyes:
So will your mother. No wrong.:tup:

I doubt if I will buy a B or K because they don't seem practical. They would be a waste of money to me no matter how beautiful or rare. I have read of a Kelly with external pockets I might be interested in, but bags that are hard to access don't appeal to me. Thankfully Hermes makes a few other bags that fit my needs. Tell your mother to enjoy her other bags as they work for her.

True luxury, IMO, is being able to wear whichever style of bag you like, whether it be a Himalayan B of a simple straw basket. I think your mom's friend may be a little jealous that she has a son who buys her such nice gifts! Yes, the Birkin, Kelly and Constance are the "Big Three" of Hermes -- both because of cost and craftsmanship, and because they are the bags with buying quotas in boutiques. That said, the most recognizable bag is probably the Evelyne, because of the perforated H and the lower price that makes it more accessible. But any H bag has prestige and should be worn with pride!

Constance can be at the same price as a B or K. I personally, though it is an unpopular opinion here, shy away from B or K because of efficiency issues. I find it a hassle to close them and I don't want to leave my bag open. So I use styles that are easy to open and close and practical to use such as Constance, Toolbox, and Evelyne. Also, exotic skins can be higher in price in other styles compared to normal skins in B or K.

This is exactly what my mom said, she finds it is hard to use B or K as daily bag with the closure. Thank you

Some people believe that if you spend a lot of money on a bag, it needs to be recognizable. Birkin and Kelly are both very recognizable.

Have heard this comment.
And personally feel modern h is overpriced for its quality--the name costs.
Probably why "investors" only buy hot-seller bags.

However, I dislike birkins & kellys.
Plus most of h items, with that funky double strap closure.
So buy "the other" h items. The unrecognized cur & scoundrel items. The non-birkins. :wtf:

Somehow, I manage to survive.
Without freaks following me, asking, "Omg, can I touch your birkin?" And making Kardashian comments.:rolleyes:
So will your mother. No wrong.:tup:

So true, seems like the "icon bag" would be the only matters. Buying a non CC flap or 255 are not really Chanel as well.

Reactions: Livia1
True luxury, IMO, is being able to wear whichever style of bag you like, whether it be a Himalayan B of a simple straw basket. I think your mom's friend may be a little jealous that she has a son who buys her such nice gifts! Yes, the Birkin, Kelly and Constance are the "Big Three" of Hermes -- both because of cost and craftsmanship, and because they are the bags with buying quotas in boutiques. That said, the most recognizable bag is probably the Evelyne, because of the perforated H and the lower price that makes it more accessible. But any H bag has prestige and should be worn with pride!

Totally agree, I will tell my mom that. Thank you

Hi everyone,
With my reveals, I love buying my mom items. Since I love and appreciate all handbags (but I can't use most of it as I'm a guy) so she is getting the benefit lol. My mom has several B and K but she also love other styles. So her collection has Lindy, Constance, Evelyne, Victoria, GP and Pico. With my recent gifts to her a GP30 which she always wanted. She was so happy as her collection doesn't have the size. However her friend (who only use B) commented why did she buy such a less value bag. Her friend said only B or K are worth buying with H. My mom was unhappy toward her comment. She felt being "look down" just because her bag aren't worth as much as B. My mom and I love H or other brands bag especially the under radar styles. So what's wrong for getting other styles?

Nothing is wrong with getting other styles and that woman is has a limited view. Personally, I'm not too crazy about a Birkin or a Kelly and we (including your mom), are not the only ones who prefer H bags other than Birkins or Kellys. If you check out to the clubhouses H sub-forum, you will find members there who collect only Plumes, Bolides, vintage H bags, etc.

Hi everyone,

Your mother's friend is full of hot air coming out of the wrong end and is possibly an unhappy, frustrated person. People should carry whatever type of bag makes them happy regardless of price or brand.

:tup:

Isn't it interesting that 10 years ago you could pick up a pre-loved Constances, even Kellys for a fraction of their retail? Fashions change. B, K & Cs resale could nose dive tomorrow but hopefully those that still love now them will enjoy them just the same.

Hi everyone,

Is your mum sure this a friend? Sounds like she's either really competitive or very insecure about her self worth to me. I don't even know what a "less value" bag means. A Mini Clubman costs less than a vintage Rolls Royce Phantom but if I'll need to park in town when it's busy and then drive through some tricky country lanes later I'll drive the mini, when I want to head out to a fancy restaurant with underground parking in the evening I'll take the Roller, nice to have the choice. Both classics, both cars, different price points, different purposes.

Your mother obviously enjoys a full and varied life for which she needs different styles of bags, good for her, I like her style(s).

Last edited:
Others have already said it well, but the "friend" sounds like she only values items for their social signaling value. What a silly way to spend money--in the hope that it will impress other people! And even if it does "impress" someone, do we want to base a relationship on such shallow foundations? Buy what you and your mom like and will use!